How to transfer Sky Miles to a Widow

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
A dear friend has passed away, leaving 61,000 in his Sky Miles account. His wife is wondering what is the correct way to redeem these miles to her own account? Does she inform Delta her husband had died and ask to transfer miles? Or - should she just go ahead and book flights for herself, using her husband's miles? Can someone let me know what is the correct procedure on how this all works? Thanks so much.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I would Google "Frequent flier miles on death" and look for a credible, recent write-up. Looks like Delta does not permit transfers but I would look around FT and elsewhere for data points on exceptions.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I would NOT let Delta know that he died, but just pay the fee to transfer the points to her--after booking a trip with as many of them as possible. Maybe go visit friends/relatives across the country, flying in domestic first?

Delta's levels of customer service and caring about those customers is dropping steadily. Let her get some use from those points, without involving their decision making, at all.

Burgertm

Level 2 Member
I wouldn't transfer the points to her account and pay a fee. I'd just log in to his account and book it if she knows the username/password.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
And if she doesn't, then that's yet another good reason to keep a spreadsheet of all bank accounts, points and miles accounts, and user names/account numbers and passwords.

If he used an Apple computer and if he also told it to remember his usernames and passwords for various sites, she can, if she has admin access to his computer (another thing to add to that spreadsheet!) look up the information in Safari under preferences.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't mean as per Delta rules, I mean legally as in she is the heir to his estate.
The estate consists of assets owned by the decedent. If you borrow a lawnmower from your neighbor, and then pass, the lawnmower isn't part of your estate, it returns to the owner.

Same I guess with DL (haven't checked their terms) you don't actually 'own' them, so they make the rules.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Does she inform Delta her husband had died and ask to transfer miles?
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 2.03.18 PM.png

Terms state not transferable (specifically citing upon death)

Or - should she just go ahead and book flights for herself, using her husband's miles?
Grey area.

If she tells them, they have the right to not transfer and therefore close/keep all the miles. If she doesn't tell them, they'd probably never know, though it might not be within the terms of the program.

AnyNameYouWish

Level 2 Member
Does a death show up on a credit report? If he had a Delta cc I'd be worried they would find out that way. If they did find out and she has already used them, would they go after her in some way for them?