How Robinhood Margin Accounts Work

Consider this another entry in my running saga of day trading with Robinhood.

As long as Robinhood has been around there's been language in their terms and conditions about margin accounts, which presumably is how they plan to make money in the long term.

They seem to have finally launched margin accounts in September, 2016, but I was only selected for so-called "Robinhood Gold" this week. Here's how it works.

Apparently like all margin accounts you're only able to borrow an amount equal to the cash value of your account.

But instead of charging you interest on the amount you borrow, you're charged a fixed fee which works out to 6% APR (5% APR for amounts above $50,000), but only when you borrow the maximum amount you're offered.

So for my (tiny balance) Robinhood account they want to charge me $10 per month for $2,000 in borrowing power. $120 over 12 months makes that a 6% APR loan (slightly less depending on how you want to calculate the compounding rate - daily/monthly/annually). You might be charged $30 on a $6,000 margin account (again working out to 6% APR).

As travel hackers will immediately recognize, this means the optimal amount to borrow is 100% of your allowed amount, since that minimizes the APR on the borrowed amount.

That means the question is, what exchange-traded securities do you buy with a 6% APR loan?

Robinhood obviously wants you to buy a bunch of stocks speculatively, but you don't have to buy what Robinhood wants to you buy. I frankly don't think there are very many exchange-traded securities worth buying at 4% APR, let alone 6% APR. But at some point in the next 0.5-6 years there's going to be a catastrophe in the markets, and the opportunity to buy more shares than you can, strictly speaking, afford is going to be extremely lucrative.

So bless Robinhood. I don't have any intention of upgrading my account to Robinhood Gold until that market catastrophe arrives, but as soon as it does I'll be buying 20-25% more shares than I can afford.

I want to expand on two points of my initial post. The first has to do with the mechanics of Robinhood margin accounts and the second has to do with actual investing.

Robinhood allows you to pay a flat monthly fee for a margin amount up to the cash value of your account. In other words, if you have a $10,000 account, you can pay $50 per month for up to $10,000 in margin debt. If you have a $2,000 account you can pay $10 per month for up to $2,000 in margin. But you can also pay for a smaller credit line than you're "eligible" for. In other words, if you deposit $10,000 in your account you can still pay just $10 per month for up to $2,000 in margin debt. If you do this you won't get a margin call until the equity in your account drops below $2,000 — an 83.3% drawdown in a portfolio starting at $12,000.

Why does this matter? Because Robinhood allows you to invest in low-cost, exchange-traded funds. Now, right now there aren't any low-cost, exchange-traded funds that I have any confidence will return more than 6% APY. That's because we're 7-8 years into a bull market! But bull markets end, and if current stock market valuations dropped by 30-80%, there would be a lot of low-cost exchange-traded funds I'd be VERY confident would return more than 6% APY.

The second point doesn't have anything to do with Robinhood, per se. Interactive Brokers will also loan you money to buy ETF's, and at a lower (albeit variable) interest rate.

But if you like Robinhood's interface and fee-free trading scheme (I think it's pretty good), then using it to leverage the equity in your portfolio by 20% by investing in a Vanguard ETF like VT, VTI, VXUS, etc, could modestly increase your returns while reducing the risk of a margin call by maintaining a huge equity buffer. Doing this in a high-valuation, low-return environment doesn't make any sense, but we won't be in one of those forever!

lochquel

Level 2 Member
I understand your appreciation for Robinhood's interface and whatnot. But if I'm leveraging a margin account for returns, I'd rather worry about margin rates and a full browser experience.

knaveconwy

Level 2 Member
If you want to play with trading on margin interactive brokers usually has the lowest rates. They do charge commissions but depending on the frequency of trades it may be cheaper. Currently they list 1.91% as their rate for margin loans under $25k.

Let me be clear, I agree with everyone who is saying margin interest rates are more important than convenient interface! But there are definitely situations (like making regular contributions to a taxable account) where the cash savings on commissions might outweigh the interest savings. It's just an individual calculation.

@Matt they use "portfolio margin" so I assume you get a margin call if the total value of your account falls below the amount of "Gold Buying Power" (margin) you've borrowed.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Let me be clear, I agree with everyone who is saying margin interest rates are more important than convenient interface! But there are definitely situations (like making regular contributions to a taxable account) where the cash savings on commissions might outweigh the interest savings. It's just an individual calculation.

@Matt they use "portfolio margin" so I assume you get a margin call if the total value of your account falls below the amount of "Gold Buying Power" (margin) you've borrowed.
IB is very cheap. I was using it on the pro side at $1 per share, but didn't like certain aspects on the insitutional level. It's totally workable for small time gigs.

It is worth noting that margin calls suck.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Well, the "Modern Portfolio Theory" thing to do with a margin account is to leverage up on bonds, so that the return/volatility on your leverage bond portfolio looks more like equities. Hopefully your bond returns would be uncorrelated with your equity returns.

It is worth noting that in a full blown market panic, everyone's investment horizon become less than 1 second, so correlation on returns approaches 1 for any set of asset classes you care to name.