How much would you pay for premium cabin and luxury hotel?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Foreseeably, there may come a day when you might not have mountains of miles and points, and actually have to pay for your flights and hotels out of pocket (I know, *gasp*). Which made me wonder, how much would I be willing to pay for premium travel vs coach and cheap hotels?

I understand why great F can cost 10-15x Y. You're taking up the space of 6-8 Y seats, plus the dedicated staff, fancy meals loaded onto the plane, ground service, extra mileage accrual, etc. However, I think my out of pocket limit would be 150% of Y, no matter how great the product. So if the cheapest acceptable Y is $1000, I'm willing to pay at most $1500 (**) for anything above and beyond.

Here's my rationale. Premium cabin to me is all about the bed. Yes, I enjoy the free food and service and lounge access and that kind of stuff too, but those are totally discretionary, not necessity. So I'm basically paying for one night of bed in each direction. Yes, it's in the sky, but it's still one night of bed. If I don't have it that night, I'll recover soon enough.

So the question for me is, how much is one night of bed worth? Well, that depends on the other part of the question - how much am I willing to pay for a luxury hotel? Whatever that number is, the amount I pay for premium cabin cannot exceed it by a lot, since it is nowhere nearly as comfortable/spacious, though it is in the sky, so let's treat them as equals. I think my cash limit for any hotel is $200/night (**). So, I'm willing to pay up to $250 for a bed in the sky in each direction.

Overall, I'm more willing to pay a premium for hotels than flying. I base this on my enjoyment. A hotel room has a lot more... room for enjoyment and pampering, while even the most spacious F is severely restricted. I guess I see flying as a necessary evil, while hotel as a luxury, escape. So, maybe I'm only willing to pay a 150% premium for flying, but I'll pay up to a 300% premium for a better hotel ($65 for a motel vs $200 for a 5 star hotel on Priceline). Still, my hotel budget rarely ever exceeds $100. I'll always pick a 3* in a remote location for $100 vs a 5 star in central location for $200, save for the rare out of pocket pampering.

** Possible exception for super special occasion such as honeymoon. But hopefully we can do that with pts.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy long haul F and ultra-aspirational stays as much as possible and pamper myself beyond rotten spoiledness.

What is your perspective?

Last edited:

Domat

Level 2 Member
I am the other way around. "premium hotels" mean nothing to me. I just want a clean room and bed. No, one has ever explained this great service need to me. I akin this to Pretty women and I am Richard Gere. Give me what I pay for and leave me alone. If you are Julia Roberts and you need the extra pampering then maybe this service means something. Though I doubt you can get what she got:)

I look at the Paris Vendome thread at flyertalk and shake my head especially after looking at the rooms. very basic old fashioned small etc. I wouldn't pay 1$ extra for that. (except location).

I am with you in the sky. I wouldn't pay more then 150% premium and probably not really that but I am cheap. That is for longhaul. I wouldn't pay more then 25$ more for domestic.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Which brings me to this tidbit from TravelCodex:

"It once made a lot of sense to buy miles for an award ticket. 135,000 miles — which cost $4,050 at 3 cents each — to book a first class round-trip ticket to Asia or Europe? Why not?! You might find that you’re paying less to get the miles than you would if you paid for a regular business class ticket."

Clearly he/they live(d) in a different universe than I.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
For me...I dont care about the hotel as long as it's not a crack house. However, if it has free breakfast...I could be persuaded to step over discarded glass vials.
I've always flown economy for the most part and I really don't mind it. I would never pay to fly first class at all. I wouldn't even use miles to fly first for less than five hrs.
I flew, with hubs and kids, in first to Europe for the first time this past summer. What a huge difference it made. So much so, I've booked first going to SPU next summer, but still booking economy home. (I have the miles to do first back) For me, it's the experiences/activity we have have while on vacation. Like, we splurged on chartering a boat for a day in Majorica and a ferry/stay on Vestmannjur Island instead of staying in fancy hotels. My kids talk about the stuff we've done and never mentioned a hotel even when we have splurged on a Ritz.
Although, when I booked SPU my daughter did ask if we could fly first again because she really liked the chocolate sundae. :)

30French

Level 2 Member
When my wife flew to London 6 months pregnant, money was no object. Luckily we had miles. :cool: For myself, I would pay 2x economy for first in a heartbeat. 4x and more, maybe when I'm retired and have money to burn. Those free cocktails really help the time go by...

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
It would be very rare for me to voluntarily take an eastbound flight to Europe in Y. I find that type of trip (eastbound redeye) really screws with my body clock unless I get 5-7 hours of sleep on the flight. (Which also means I really try to fly ex-DFW or ORD to make the flight long enough...) The same logic is why I will go to extraordinary lengths to get lie-flat AA F fares from HNL/OGG to DFW. Other than that scenario, it's really more of a 'comfort' issue for me.

As for hard numbers, I try to pay no more than $300-400 in Y to Europe, and around $600-700 to Asia for a coach ticket. I would pay 2x that price to fly J or F in a heartbeat. At more than 2X, you really have to evaluate other factors:
1. Could I be reasonably comfortable buying two economy tickets and having an empty seat beside me?
2. Will I need/want extra status miles at the end of the year and end up spending the money on a mile run anyways?
3. Are there any promos/extra RDMs to offset the price? Like the current OneWorld 25k bonus for a roundtrip TATL in J, that's $350-$400 "refund" on whatever I spend.

AA also sets a clear ceiling, you can upgrade from deep-discount economy to business on most long-hauls for 25k miles plus $350:
Code:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/mileage-upgrade-chart.jsp
Assuming AA miles at 1.5 cpm, that's $375+$350 = $725 each way. That could be reasonable for DFW-HKG/LAX-SYD, but certainly not for LON-NYC.

Luckily I have SWUs, so I usually use those.

As far as hotels, I pay a lot of attention to the hotel itself when it is a resort-type destination, where I might spend some time lazing in the room or around the pool.

Other than that, usually location is a big factor for me. I'm definitely not going to stay out in the suburbs to save $50 a night on a hotel and have an hour commute into and out of the city every day, especially since most of our trips are short to begin with. I usually look for a central location, near public transit, that I can pay with a reasonable amount of points, free breakfast/club access are also nice-to-have. I don't like having to 'search' for breakfast in the mornings, if it's more than 5 minutes walk, I'm going to be grumpy when we get there.

We usually end up at the second-tier properties in big cities, i.e. the Hyatt Regency instead of the Grand Hyatt, the Hilton instead of the Conrad... unless there is a very clear benefit to the top-tier property or not much price differential. Outside of big cities, properties like Hyatt Place / Hilton Garden Inn / Courtyard / Holiday Inn level are my default.

Last edited: