How many Twitter accounts?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I'm new to Twitter and have run into something of a pondering: should I have a single Twitter account for miles and points, or multiple?

Why multiple? My understanding is anything I tweet will go into the feed of my followers. I often tweet airlines for help, and my followers certainly don't need to see those. So I currently have 2 accounts: one for my thoughts that followers may find interesting, and another for mundane help requests.

But the latter has no follower. And I'm being ignored on some help requests (ehm, @AmericanAir), which makes me wonder if airlines are prioritizing responses based on the popularity of the account (which wouldn't surprise me). Which makes me question if there is a way to tweet the airlines from my main account without highlighting those tweets to my followers (not that I have many) after all.

Thoughts?

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
I just separated amex sync into different accounts, but if you start the tweet with @AskAmex, or whatever, it's seen as a reply, and won't be broadcast to everyone. This is why you sometimes see tweets with .@AskAmex, so it goes to everyone, and Amex would still get tagged.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Interesting. Do I understand correctly, that if your tweet starts with a @handle, then that tweet will only be visible to the @handle account, whereas if the @handle is anywhere after the first character in your tweet, then it will go to the feed of all your followers. Is that right?

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
It will be visible to anyone if they look at "tweets and replies," but not shown in the feed. Twitter sees these as a reply, and not an standalone tweet.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Alas, it seems your reply still shows in followers' feed IF they also follow the account you replied to. Not a huge deal, but is there a way to mute those?

smittytabb

Staff member
Alas, it seems your reply still shows in followers' feed IF they also follow the account you replied to. Not a huge deal, but is there a way to mute those?
What is your concern? You can mute #Amex tweets on your device. If you really want privacy ask the person to follow you and DM them.

Kreem

Level 2 Member
Its just not airlines but most of the customer care handles are going down this route ....the more your followers the higher your chances .

Haley

I am not a robot
I use multiple accounts.
1 general travel
1 for CSR type tweets
1 for local traffic/weather (really good for notice about speed traps)
1 for my art endeavors
1 for following infosec
And a dozen more for AmEx sync deals.

I use tweetdeck, which allows you to see multiple feeds at one time. Very useful.
It is very easy to switch between accounts with the Twitter app as well.

fr33b13

Silver Member
Its just not airlines but most of the customer care handles are going down this route ....the more your followers the higher your chances .
I would hate to spam my friends with all my Amex tweets just to have more followers for CSR purposes, but some of them actually like it since they see what the newest deals are.

I wonder if CSR would be less likely to help if they see you have a lot of deal tweets

Haley

I am not a robot
W/ multiple accounts you can follow yourself. I also follow accounts that are clearly just scheduled tweets and I don't mind spamming the bloggers that spam me (some don't, but any of those that do an auto generated tweet for every blog post any affiliate blogger posts are fair game in my book, I unfollowed a bunch of first2board blogs with my real account because damn is that annoying).

I don't think activity is a big factor in CSR response, tweeting @ the correct handle is huge and harder than you might think sometimes, but I've gotten great responses from very inactive accounts. I guess I could try with my account that has the most reach and compare notes.

Influencers do get special treatment, but that is often proactive (free stuff, special invites) more than reactive, CSR response.

Last edited: