How Many States Have You Visited?

Zora

Level 2 Member
37! I had no idea I'd been to that many. Couple of them were on trans-continental drives where I didn't really stop, but I'm sure many hrs in a car/bus and resiquite rest stops counts.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
All 50 plus territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands.
Only missing Northern Mariana Islands.
Its a very low priority!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
We visited Maine, New Hampshire, Mass and Vermont this weekend. Down missing to SC, MA, RI, WI and OR.

spamman808

Level 2 Member
I've been to 27. I've seen most of the East side, all of the West side, and the South...leaving the Middle and the Northern States. I'm from Hawaii so road trips don't happen too much for me, but my girlfriend and I are planning on taking a driving tour this summer, which should add a few states to the count. My biggest travel goal is to see all 50, which isn't up there with a lot of MSers. I think I'm okay with that though. :)

spamman808

Level 2 Member
I think as long as you're enjoying what you're doing, it doesn't matter if you've been too 100 countries or 2 states. It's all about your journey. :) Kumbaya!

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Now that this is official and all, does touching down at an airport but not leaving the plane count? I can add Missouri to my list if so.

If you need your feet on the soil (airport gate count?) then that's another issue. :p
If that is the case, then I've been to Paris (it's a state, isn't it? :)). But I've never been to Paris, just the airport. There are no printed rules although, like someone else above, I don't count it on my list unless I stop and spend purposeful time in a state. It doesn't have to be long, but peeing at a rest stop doesn't count. Sorry for my French ... that Paris visit did it to me.

I have to go tally mine up. I'm going to do a complementary count of US Territories, also.

HGF

Level 2 Member
I've only been to 15 states + DC, but I have been to 18 countries. I've always international travel far more interesting.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I'm at 32 + DC. I agree that international travel is more interesting. It's going to be awhile before I get to some of those states - I'm looking at you Dakotas.

Debrae0322

Level 2 Member
My number is 44. I've been on several cross-country road trips, so I've hit lots of states that way. Most of the ones left are outliers like Rhode Island, Maine, North Dakota, Washington, Alaska, & Hawaii. My husband wants to visit Seattle, and I'd like to take the kids to Hawaii, so we should get to those two in the next year or so!

TheBOSman

Staff member
I should mention I'm up to 49, having visited TN, GA, and SC last month. I've intentionally left NV until last, soon enough I'll be having some fun in Vegas or Reno knocking out the last one!

ldylwr

Only 21. But planning to take the DS3 and DS5 to National Parks in all 50. They have it to 5 states and counting.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Only 21. But planning to take the DS3 and DS5 to National Parks in all 50. They have it to 5 states and counting.
Delaware has no National Parks or places that you can call national-somethings (monuments, forests, etc). In fact, only about half the states have true National Parks ... and there is a National Park on American Samoa and St. Johns, USVI.

If you count National Forests and Monuments, the story changes ... but I don't have these on my Park to-do list.

See this: http://wonderopolis(dot)org/wonder/does-every-state-have-a-national-park/

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I've been to 39 states and 3 territories (American Samoa, USVI and Puerto Rico)

30 National Parks w/2, maybe 3 on the agenda for next year.

Last edited:

Vic Diaz

Level 2 Member
Ive traveled to 10. Need to get on my travel game! Need to visit more of the nature friendly states with beautiful sceneries.

skowee

Level 2 Member
Been to 26 after my big move out West. Fortunate enough to be able to explore a lot and even travel to National Parks for official work business.

treetopunknown

Level 2 Member
Gone to 40 states in the past 3 years visiting National Parks, theme parks, and ice cream shops with the wife and 2 boys. Will visit another 8 this summer.

Cytraveler

Level 2 Member
39 and 2 territories for me.

But 8 of them I first visited riding a bicycle on a cross-country trip (KY, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, and CA), and one of those I still have only seen from the seat of a bicycle (KS, which I had though would be boring biking across and was wonderful).

DRD

I have 4 states west of the Mississippi river (Washington, Oregon, North Dakota and Minnesota) that I have not been to. I may be flying to Washington state in a few more months. I will be knocking out all of the remaining states in the North East this October. I also plan to take a day trip to knock out South Carolina in a few weeks. If all works out, I will have 46 states in total (missing Ohio, Oregon, North Dakota and Minnesota).

I count driving through the state but that's me.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Southern OH is lovely, along the Kentucky border. The city of Cleveland used to be abysmal, but they did a decent job of cleaning up the riverfront/lakefront.

The Rock and Roll Museum might be a draw, as well.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Just FWIW, and because I live here :cool:, Minnesota is NOT west of the Mississippi. Its headwaters are in our state, starting in Lake Itasca, and it travels from there south, within the state.

In case you were interested.