How do I make a profit selling my AT&T unlimited data plan?

I've a grandfathered at&t unlimited data plan. Planning to move to T-mobile. Is there any way I can port my at&t number to t-mobile and transfer( trade/sell) the line to a willing buyer? I looked up on ebay and transferring an at&t unlimited data plan fetches anywhere between $350 - $1000.
Goal :
1) I want to keep the existing number and port it to tmobile
2) Transfer the at&t plan features to somebody else.

Anybody done it before ?

crsoccerguy

Level 2 Member
A second wow. I just let the guy at ATT have 2 of them last week with the numbers to waive the $175x2 early termination fees on my boys lines after they moved to Costa Rica. Sounds like I got half price at best. Oh well. Live and learn. I still have one left.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the same spot, though I am kinda hanging on to see if the new iPhone will come with ATT wifi calling (my coverage is crap at home) and then I would stick with them. I did a little reading on this and from what I can gather you have to give up you phone number, but the transfer can work. There were a few threads on Howard Forums.

Another way to data gather might be to reach out to people on eBay. You could either kick tires (ask pretending to be a buyer at an active sale) or reach out after the fact (ask the seller or buyer if it was legit, because you were about to pull the trigger- may be a nicer way from a karma perspective..)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt,
This should help you.
http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

cheaper price on ebay.
Thanks- I had the older version of this at my office. I was considering getting one, but held off because I have a feeling that they will wifi enable the iPhone.. and I also wondered if they might release on earlier than normal this year... lots of hoping going on so probably best to just get one.

FWIW ATT offered me 50% off the price due to coverage.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Why would you want to do this? The account can't be transferred and will still be tied to your SSN.

If the person that takes over decides to stop paying etc you're fucked and it's your credit report that will be hit. Think twice before you do this.

Nope. It's called Assumption of Liability. The account gets transferred to the buyer's name. He/She is now responsible for the billing in the future.
But AT&T won't allow me to transfer the features and keep the phone number (for unlimited data plans). Both of them stay with me or both of them go to the buyer. My phone number is too valuable to let it go for a few hundred dollars.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Nope. It's called Assumption of Liability. The account gets transferred to the buyer's name. He/She is now responsible for the billing in the future.
But AT&T won't allow me to transfer the features and keep the phone number (for unlimited data plans). Both of them stay with me or both of them go to the buyer. My phone number is too valuable to let it go for a few hundred dollars.
Doing an AOL will not allow you to keep the unlimited data plan. I tried this after my father wanted to cancel his AT&T line and it didn't work. I had the selection of only getting the plans they offered today.