How do I break it to them?

smittytabb

Staff member
Got this email yesterday from Marriott. So how do I break it to Marriott that I am cheating on them with Hyatt?

"We miss you. Please tell us your thoughts.

We notice you haven't been staying with us as frequently as you used to, and we're curious why.

As a Platinum member of the Marriott Rewards® program, we value your business and opinion, and wonder if there's anything we can do to better meet your needs.

By taking a few minutes to fill out our brief survey about your Marriott® experiences, you'll help us better serve you in the future."

YoungBubbie

Level 2 Member
Yep, although after I sent out the survey, I realized I should have told them I was not happy that I never get targeted for the certificates anymore during the promotions and that a category 1-5 cert ain't what it used to be.
Please I've complained for the last three mega bonuses that I want those certificates back. Unfortunately they haven't listened to me.

They want to know why, please let them know. Believe me there are plenty of us who want those certificates back. They listened to those people that complained they were useless so they are no longer offered. Granted limiting you to category 4-5 is not the best but for my needs it is more beneficial than the points.

smittytabb

Staff member
Please I've complained for the last three mega bonuses that I want those certificates back. Unfortunately they haven't listened to me.

They want to know why, please let them know. Believe me there are plenty of us who want those certificates back. They listened to those people that complained they were useless so they are no longer offered. Granted limiting you to category 4-5 is not the best but for my needs it is more beneficial than the points.
I have plenty of road trips where I can use the certs or for one night stays near airports if I have an overnight layover. Once I became Platinum I stopped being targeted for the certs and started getting offers that were stay a ridiculous amount of nights and get some points. I had been able to convince customer service to switch me over to the other promo but lately the certs seem to be extinct. I think hotel capacity is way up and they don't care to offer them much anymore. In the meantime they keep pushing so many hotels into higher categories that it is less attractive, but still lucrative if you work at it.

I did 50 nights at Marriott and 50 nights at Hyatt this year and I get a lot more with Hyatt so I am feeling my loyalty shift already. I am hoping I can buy up to Plat like @Frequent Miler did last year. But if not, I will see how I like Gold and how it compares.

YoungBubbie

Level 2 Member
I have plenty of road trips where I can use the certs or for one night stays near airports if I have an overnight layover. Once I became Platinum I stopped being targeted for the certs and started getting offers that were stay a ridiculous amount of nights and get some points. I had been able to convince customer service to switch me over to the other promo but lately the certs seem to be extinct. I think hotel capacity is way up and they don't care to offer them much anymore. In the meantime they keep pushing so many hotels into higher categories that it is less attractive, but still lucrative if you work at it.

I did 50 nights at Marriott and 50 nights at Hyatt this year and I get a lot more with Hyatt so I am feeling my loyalty shift already. I am hoping I can buy up to Plat like @Frequent Miler did last year. But if not, I will see how I like Gold and how it compares.
Agree. Those certificates came in handy for overnights at airports, staycations, weekend trips with the grandkids. Unexpected or trips I would never make if I didn't have certificates. I would end up spending money at the hotels anyway whether for food or spa. I had 3-4 less stays at Marriotts this year as a result of not getting the certificates. I didn't even push trying to get my stays in during the promotions. Because the certificates have an expiration date I would plan trips to use them. With the points they can sit until I'm ready for a big trip.

Marriott lost business with me this year.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
I am hoping I can buy up to Plat like @Frequent Miler did last year. But if not, I will see how I like Gold and how it compares.
Did you end up with gold or plat? I would definitely like to hear a comparison between the two, I am reconsidering my plat through Ritz Carlton strategy.

In places with nice Marriott lounges, we always seem to get exec club upgrades with just gold status. And the thing that bugs me most about Marriott (no idea why o_O) is no breakfast at Courtyard hotels. So anyways, I am looking for some objective feedback about plat versus gold at Marriott. All the plats I know rave about it, but they haven't been gold in recent memory.

smittytabb

Staff member
Did you end up with gold or plat? I would definitely like to hear a comparison between the two, I am reconsidering my plat through Ritz Carlton strategy.

In places with nice Marriott lounges, we always seem to get exec club upgrades with just gold status. And the thing that bugs me most about Marriott (no idea why o_O) is no breakfast at Courtyard hotels. So anyways, I am looking for some objective feedback about plat versus gold at Marriott. All the plats I know rave about it, but they haven't been gold in recent memory.
They gave me Platinum even though I earned Gold this time. That was really nice! I have not been Gold in five years, so I don't recall. Although Gold was nice enough to get me interested in earning Platinum, if that makes sense. My husband got the Ritz card so he is now Gold, but usually I put stays on my account when we travel because my status is higher and I am earning nights and he has status via credit card so no reason to credit stays to his. I also think the Courtyard breakfast thing is very annoying and it also used to be true at resorts which is not good. I think they have changed that. You get United Silver with Platinum which is one consideration. In terms of treatment, I get treated extremely well as a Platinum and get great upgrades a lot.