Hotel search

nvpt

Level 2 Member
Does anyone know a search engine that would allow me to just choose 1 hotel, search the price for 1 night at that hotel, for a range of time, like a month? Sorta like ITA MATRIX, but for hotel instead of flight? Looking for a cheap night, doesn't matter when.

Phantom707

Gold Member
Does anyone know a search engine that would allow me to just choose 1 hotel, search the price for 1 night at that hotel, for a range of time, like a month? Sorta like ITA MATRIX, but for hotel instead of flight? Looking for a cheap night, doesn't matter when.
There no longer seems to be a single website that is capable of doing this. Travelocity, CheapAir, Orbitz, and a couple of other sites used to be able to aggregate in this way, but that was apparently removed due to federal regulations requiring room rates to be displayed in a particular way.

Orbitz does still offer a "Heat Map" of past historical data.

Code:
http://labs.orbitz.com/calheatmap/
However, there are still ways to do this for individual hotel chains. For example, the Hilton site has this option. From the homepage, click "Advanced Search" and then select the check box for "Use flexible dates".

The IHG site somewhat has this ability, but it's more complicated. The technique is listed here:

Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1612698-flexible-date-search.html

Succinctly, you have to first choose a general time period (such as 30 days) and your city. Then click on the "Check Rates" button next to a particular hotel. Expand the option to "View Rates" next to a room type, and you'll see different booking options. Click "View Rate Details" to see the prices for individual nights within the specified time period.

It's probably possible in one way or another for other hotel chains, but those are the only two for which I got concrete information.

Edit: Apparently, I stand corrected. Google Hotels allows this. Search for a city and then click the button next to the dates that looks like bar graphs. This allows a ~31 day window around the particular day (about 14 before and 16 after, plus the particular day itself). This should still be fairly useful. Although...I have no idea what their results are based on. I did a search for Honolulu hotels, and I clicked in the graph for October 26 - 27, which showed $165 per night. However, the results then showed hostels for as low as $22 per night, and the "real" hotels were still significantly cheaper than that.

Last edited:

nvpt

Level 2 Member
Appreciate the help, Phantom707. I in fact was looking for a cheap IHG night also, so that fits perfectly. Managed to replicate the trick you described!
The google hotel on though, is weird. Oddly too high for the period I searched...

swazzie

Level 2 Member
Edit: Apparently, I stand corrected. Google Hotels allows this. Search for a city and then click the button next to the dates that looks like bar graphs. This allows a ~31 day window around the particular day (about 14 before and 16 after, plus the particular day itself). This should still be fairly useful. Although...I have no idea what their results are based on. I did a search for Honolulu hotels, and I clicked in the graph for October 26 - 27, which showed $165 per night. However, the results then showed hostels for as low as $22 per night, and the "real" hotels were still significantly cheaper than that.
The graph is based on the average rate for hotels in a given city each day for a month. They used to have it on a single-hotel basis, but they took that feature away.