Hotel in Iceland

Littleblackdress

Little family
I didn't see anything for IHG, is there another award chain? I am considering using UR to book for free.

Last edited:

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
I didn't see anything for IHG, is there another award chain? I am considering using UR to book for free.
Hotelhustle.com is a terrific tool developed by sbm12 that shows the chains with hotels in a town or near an airport. There are Hilton and Club Carlson properties in Reykavik. I stayed at the Radisson Blu 1919 before the mega Carlson deval. It has a great location, easy walking distance from downtown and restaurants. But its level has increased and you can no longer get 2nd night free with the Carlson credit card. You'll see that the hotelhusstle site shows the points and/or cash required for each property. The Starwood property looks amazing but doesn't indicate that it can be booked with points. Hilton might be an alternative for you.

Last edited:

Panache

Level 2 Member
We just used up our 2 free night Certs and a stash of points to book 4 nights at the Radisson Blu0 1919 in July. Kind of a big dump of points but we gotta use the Certs by August so may as well use the points too...

I hope some of the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor are not correct.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
The 1919 was meh (we stayed on points). If you are ok with staying up late, the wall are thin. We didn't mind, as we weren;t exactly quiet.

A friend stayed at the Hilton for cheap (it was shoulder season). However, he was Diamond, and they gave him a free bus pass to use, which was actually really helpful. Bit of a hike otherwise to downtown, and taxis are tough to find/expensive.

That said, we loved the city.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
You didn't mention where in Iceland. I'm assuming it's Reykjavik. Our first trip we rented a penthouse (its right at the top of the rainbow street that was a regular driving two way street back then) they have a hotel, too, that you may be able to use UR points to book. We stayed a few nights at the Radisson Blu Saga in Sept. Just know that Icelanders party hard. The 1919 is right in the mix of it. The guy from "Deals We Like" was there at the same time and he was tweeting all night how miserable he was due to the partying/glass smashing outside the hotel. (There's a lot of glass smashing on the weekend!) We slept like babies. Its a good location. You can still walk to everything and its right across the parking lot from the National Museum. The gas station right there has really cheap sandwiches and hot dogs, too. The hotel buffets are expensive. (We had our teens with us) the breakfast buffet was huge and delicious and worth it. Anyway, if you like sleep be aware of where your hotel is if you're there on Fri-Sat night.

Panache

Level 2 Member
That is good to know, SO is a light sleeper, but we we have booked at 1919 Tues-Thur and then somewhere else on the Island for the weekend. Hope that should be OK.

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm off to Iceland for the second time this summer. I will be staying at the Rad Blu 1919 the bulk of the time as I used a huge chunk of Club Carlson points to speculatively book it on fairly short notice. I am a light sleeper and hoping I get some rest, but I knew that about the place. I will also be staying at the Hilton Reykjavik for part of the time. I stayed there my first trip to Iceland and although it is a healthy walk from the center of things, I really like the property and am looking forward to staying there again!