Home Depot card breach ?-9/2014

Haley

I am not a robot
Can't edit title: goes back to April

Banks see spike in debit card fraud after recent Home Depot breach. Link goes to krebsonsecurity website. Story here.

Also from Krebs, the first story with more info.

Highlight:
Clues buried within this newer version of BlackPOS support the theory put forth by multiple banks that the Home Depot breach may involve compromised store transactions going back at least several months. In addition, the cybercrime shop Rescator over the past few days pushed out nine more large batches of stolen cards onto his shop, all under the same “American Sanctions” label assigned to the first two batches of cards that originally tipped off banks to a pattern of card fraud that traced back to Home Depot. Likewise, the cards lifted from Target were sold in several dozen batches released over a period of three months on Rescator’s shop.

Stollen card info is sold in batches, most of the time batches are geographically linked because it makes the stollen cards easier to use. So if you hear about someone local who has had a problem recently be extra careful. If the first charge isn't a big one it may be a very small online purchase, used to see if a card is still active. They come with a money back guarantee. Seriously.

Interesting story on Linkedin security flaw that reveals your private (ha!) email address, on the same site.

Haley

I am not a robot
This one is a favorite of mine. Card shops.
It is an inside look at the sale of stollen credit cards.

The take away from the last 10 years of breach history is 1) use a CC 2) shop online. Most of the problems are at brick and mortar retailers.

The Home Depot breach effects stores in every state, around 17,000 of their 24,000 stores plus another bunch in Canada. It looks like it was the self-check lanes.