Hilton brand standards, for anybody who’s interested

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
I was looking around for boring details of how Hilton’s rewards program works and I happened to find the Hilton Brand Standards, which a handful of you may find interesting. It’s interesting to me first of all because it’s 384 pages, which is a lot of fairly dry stuff for a hotel owner to be on top of. It’s also kind of cool to see some of the behind the scenes stuff hotels have to deal with that we never think about (for example, 384-page brand standards manuals).

There is a lot of detail in there. For example: suppose you’re in charge of building a buffet at a Hilton Restaurant. Shouldn’t be too difficult, right? Not so fast:

Mind you, those are just the finish options. There are about three or four pages of standards like this for the buffet. There’s even a section on kick plinths.

And if I were running a Hilton hotel, I would definitely be extra nice to Diamond members:

• If a Diamond Member is dissatisfied, he or she must receive an immediate (same day) refund of the points redeemed from the reward. The hotel must pay for these points. The hotel will not receive reimbursement credit for the reward, as the points were recredited to the member’s account. The hotel must complete the “Re-credit of Points for Reward Stay” form, which can befound on Focus HHonors > HHonors Rewards > Reward Reimbursement Materials > Re-credit of Points for Reward Stay.
  • The hotel’s General Manager or General Manager’s representative must contact the member by phone to apologize for the service failure within 48 hours of notice of dissatisfaction.
  • The hotel must retain and make available a 30-day rolling record of these transactions. For OnQ PM hotels utilizing the Service Recovery functionality, the Service Recovery report will replace the need for a manual log.
  • In order to support customer satisfaction and loyalty, the Hilton Worldwide Guest Assistance Department has the discretion to grant Diamond Members up to two complimentary future nights. The cost of these room nights will be charged back to the hotel

There are other brand standards guides too. For example, here’s Hampton Inn, which is over 400 pages. And here’s a franchise agreement for Home2 Suites. Want to be a franchisee? Well:

The total investment necessary to begin operation of a newly constructed 107 suite Home2 Suites by Hilton hotel, excluding real property, is $7,407,500 to $13,124,500, including up to $199,500 that must be paid to us or our affiliates.

That’s a lot of money, even more than I make from this blog!

So: who wants to run a branded hotel?

The post Hilton brand standards, for anybody who’s interested appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...