Help with a Hotel in Rome

Greg S

Level 2 Member
My wife and I are going to be in Rome for our anniversary next year between June 20th and June 26th.

I'm having a heck of a time understanding the best way to spend my points on a hotel. I'm looking for something upscale, but I'm in over my head.

I have 140K MR
Wife has 180K MR

I have 160K UR

Most low hanging credit cards (including SPG) have been applied for. What I'm having the most difficulty is figuring out where it makes sense to move my points to and get the most bang for the point from a hotel. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have a look at redemption rates for Marriott and for Best Western. The latter seem to be cheap cash rates... and are ending the MR txf relationship this year.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Most low hanging credit cards (including SPG) have been applied for. What I'm having the most difficulty is figuring out where it makes sense to move my points to and get the most bang for the point from a hotel. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I have not yet been to Rome - we're going in Apri. We booked 2 nights at the Club Carlson and got 2 free, but you can't do that anymore. I believe we paid for a 5th night outright. I'm assuming this Rome hotel will be fine for us; CC hotels have worked well in the past.

That said, the current price seems to be 50k per night. If you're talking "low hanging fruit", their cards are still pretty much this. You can get 100k points with 2k spend. If both of you can get a card and meet minimum, you have 4 nights. You don't have much time, but at 5x on all spend, you might be able to get creative and get another 50k for a 5th night.

Just another angle to ponder.

Greg S

Level 2 Member
I'd have a look at redemption rates for Marriott and for Best Western. The latter seem to be cheap cash rates... and are ending the MR txf relationship this year.
Is there a way to convert MR to Mariott points

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a way to convert MR to Mariott points
Only UR I believe... and I haven't checked the rates for Rome. I just remember that autograph collection hotels when I was in Spain were great value.

smittytabb

Staff member
My wife and I are going to be in Rome for our anniversary next year between June 20th and June 26th.

I'm having a heck of a time understanding the best way to spend my points on a hotel. I'm looking for something upscale, but I'm in over my head.

I have 140K MR
Wife has 180K MR

I have 160K UR

You could snag the Courtyard Rome Central Park for 150,000 Marriott points transferred over from UR.

smittytabb

Staff member
Only UR I believe... and I haven't checked the rates for Rome. I just remember that autograph collection hotels when I was in Spain were great value.
The Autograph Hotels in Italy are mostly now the Boscolo chain and the redemption is higher. You'd need 225,000 points + 80 Euros for that stay.

smittytabb

Staff member
A lot depends on if you only want to use points. I think you could find a more appealing Best Western (they are much nicer in Europe than in the U.S.). You have 150K for the Courtyard, but the nightly rate is not that high there and may not be worth the points needed.

smittytabb

Staff member
To get a good overview of what is out there, I usually do a preliminary search on pointshound dot com. There are tons of Best Westerns in Rome BTW! However, I have never booked a room on points with them. I remember it being a bit tricky.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
hmm..

I was thinking about a trade. I believe Marriott now allows anyone to txf into their program - so if there was a trade of MR to 80K Marriott, and then a 140K conversion of UR to Marriott in exchange for a 7 night cert at cat 6 and circa 50K miles.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Did you plan what you want to do during that time in Rome? We went for 3 days in August and felt it was the right amount of time. Altogether it was pretty dumpy & dirty. We loved Florence though.

I realize you said upscale, but Comfort Inn Bolivar was a great location and value for the points. It isn't a dump, but you're not getting room service.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Did you plan what you want to do during that time in Rome? We went for 3 days in August and felt it was the right amount of time. Altogether it was pretty dumpy & dirty. We loved Florence though.

I realize you said upscale, but Comfort Inn Bolivar was a great location and value for the points. It isn't a dump, but you're not getting room service.
Agreed on that.. We found 2 days enough, then used it for a hub to visit nearby towns like Orvieto. Everybody travels at their own pace though..

Edit to add, I agree with Smitty that I didn't find it dirty and dumpy, but I did like to move fast when traveling... now I move slow...

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member

Rome is dumpy and dirty? Been there half a dozen times and stayed in a lot of different parts of the city and that is not my takeaway. And three days does not do it justice at all. There is a ton to see and it is pretty spread out. It would be easy to fill a week in Rome and the surroundings. I remember when you couldn't drink the water. Now you can fill up your water bottle at public fountains! Love Rome!

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Rome is dumpy and dirty? Been there half a dozen times and stayed in a lot of different parts of the city and that is not my takeaway. And three days does not do it justice at all. There is a ton to see and it is pretty spread out. It would be easy to fill a week in Rome and the surroundings. I remember when you couldn't drink the water. Now you can fill up your water bottle at public fountains! Love Rome!
Of the 10+ cities we visited in Europe this past summer, Venice & Rome were the dirtiest. By "dumpiest" I mean being accosted every other minute by an immigrant with a selfie stick, umbrella, this sticky ball thing, a flower, etc. Rome also had the highest number of beggars by far. Smokers stood under "No smoking" signs in the train station puffing away. While we reviewed our train platform, time, we were approached no less than 4 times in 5 minutes by someone trying to "help" us get to our train and merit a tip. Public busing was pitiful and confusing. Luckily I'd read a comment that you need to purchase a ticket at one of those stands that sell newspaper/tobacco. There is no clear signage at the stops that you need to do this, or even where the closest one to do this is. Our tickets to the Vatican were for a set time. We arrived 20 minutes before the bus was supposed to come, but it never came. Thankfully Google Maps helped us make a quick decision to hop on a different bus last second and we got there in time.
Our Vatican experience was also not all it's purported to be. You are thrust through the Sistine Chapel galleries like cattle, unable to slow-down and bask at any one piece.

One more thing- asian tourists. They have no sense of personal space or western custom. At the Vatican, we got in line behind a single asian man. Well apparently he was a tour guide. He proceeded to stop, and as the line moved up ahead of us, he let 30+ people from his tour in front of us. Get to the back of the line buddy! We eventually just got out of line and walked to the front of his group. Laughably, the people at the front seemed to respect that, but it didn't stop them from trying to inch in front of us if we didn't move up the very second the line moved.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hate those immigrants and Asian tourists. Bastards are everywhere, overseas, over here.. over in their own country..

Greg S

Level 2 Member
hmm..

I was thinking about a trade. I believe Marriott now allows anyone to txf into their program - so if there was a trade of MR to 80K Marriott, and then a 140K conversion of UR to Marriott in exchange for a 7 night cert at cat 6 and circa 50K miles.
Sorry for the probably simple question, but what does txf into their program mean?

Greg S

Level 2 Member
We plan on taking a train to a few nearby cities, seeing the whole city, the Vatican, etc. - I'd probably rather have spent 5 nights there, but our travel just worked out this way - I'm pretty excited about it. First Europe Trip for us London ->Paris -> Rome (all on points so thank you all a ton).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
PS- if you are going to go for the 7 night hotel+flight miles, make sure the hotel has space and is the one you want before making the transaction. The end result for you will be a voucher for a cat 6 and 50K (55K UA) miles.. not sure if AA is still offering a bonus on this also.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Have a look at Waldorf Astoria Rome Cavalieri. Upscale and away from downtown (I think it's on a hill with good view of city). It's a cat 9 Hilton I believe. # of pts fluctuates throughout the year, but was 80K for July 2015. You could apply for Hilton Reserve card with 2 free nights for you and/or her. And MR pts transfer 1.5 to Hilton. UR transfer to Virgin Atlantic to Hilton @ 1.5 also works. Thank You pts transfer to Hilton @ 1.5 also. And of course there are multiple Hilton cards from Citi and Amex.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Have a look at Waldorf Astoria Rome Cavalieri. Upscale and away from downtown (I think it's on a hill with good view of city). It's a cat 9 Hilton I believe. # of pts fluctuates throughout the year, but was 80K for July 2015. You could apply for Hilton Reserve card with 2 free nights for you and/or her. And MR pts transfer 1.5 to Hilton. UR transfer to Virgin Atlantic to Hilton @ 1.5 also works. Thank You pts transfer to Hilton @ 1.5 also. And of course there are multiple Hilton cards from Citi and Amex.
Didn't love it. You have to wait for a bus to get you to and from the city, or take taxis - quite segregated. Would recommend being in the thick of things personally.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Didn't love it. You have to wait for a bus to get you to and from the city, or take taxis - quite segregated. Would recommend being in the thick of things personally.
Yeah - good if you want secluded romance, not great for convenience.

Alex1432

Level 2 Member
We stayed at the intercontinental by the Spanish steps. It was very nice a little of center but a subway ride away from the main attraction. I had some ihg points and certs plus you can acquire points relatively cheaply by just buying them at .6 cents. I do want to say it was worth to pay for the tours to the Vatican to cut the line. Those lines were ridiculous

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I was also in Rome and Venice this summer and cannot relate to what @henrygeorge describes as dirty and dumpy. I loved both places. I share @smittytab's sentiment that I can spend much time exploring Rome. I loved walking through the alleys that led to new squares. You never know what you'll find next. Great city.

There's another European capital that I think fits the negative description more, but since this topic is not about that, I shall spare you that thought.