Help understanding non-premium MR/TYP points.

hsinaz

Level 2 Member
So I have this old AX Optima Plat from year 2000 (Cannot close since its my oldest card). In my rewards infancy, I used to put real $ spend on this and convert them to Home Depot cards. Yeah... I know..

Now it seems like I cannot convert them to lets say BA avios. I was told these points, even though they are listed as MR, my Optima card is not allowed to convert points. I have not observed this, but I got the latest batch of 50K points when I have a AX Rewards Gold that I cancelled. I am told that if I add one of the premium cards in my portfolio again, these points are transferable to other partners. Does anyone know if the the AX Everyday Preferred (if I apply in the next AOR) show me the transfer options online.

As a separate but similar issue, I am unable to transfer my TYP to United. GEtting message 'You are not eligible for this Points Transfer program.' Does this mean I need to have a "premier" card in my portfolio?

I would like the suggestions to be cards that are worth keeping even with the AF. In case of AX, I want to know if I switch my old optima ax plat to a AF Platinum (I know this one has huge fees), would it nullify my long history with AX?

Thanks in advance.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Yes, you must have a Citi Premier, Prestige or Chairman card to transfer TYP to airlines. I did a post with info on Premier and Prestige which is here in the forums. Either of them (maybe both, staggered) are worth getting for a year. Some people have good targeted offers for either or both.

Haley

I am not a robot
Don't switch your old Am Ex card, keep it.

Open a new account with one of the MR cards so you get the sign up bonus!

Andy

Level 2 Member
So I have this old AX Optima Plat from year 2000 (Cannot close since its my oldest card). In my rewards infancy, I used to put real $ spend on this and convert them to Home Depot cards. Yeah... I know..

Now it seems like I cannot convert them to lets say BA avios. I was told these points, even though they are listed as MR, my Optima card is not allowed to convert points. I have not observed this, but I got the latest batch of 50K points when I have a AX Rewards Gold that I cancelled. I am told that if I add one of the premium cards in my portfolio again, these points are transferable to other partners. Does anyone know if the the AX Everyday Preferred (if I apply in the next AOR) show me the transfer options online.

As a separate but similar issue, I am unable to transfer my TYP to United. GEtting message 'You are not eligible for this Points Transfer program.' Does this mean I need to have a "premier" card in my portfolio?

I would like the suggestions to be cards that are worth keeping even with the AF. In case of AX, I want to know if I switch my old optima ax plat to a AF Platinum (I know this one has huge fees), would it nullify my long history with AX?

Thanks in advance.
how can you transfer TYP to United?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Don't switch your old Am Ex card, keep it.

Open a new account with one of the MR cards so you get the sign up bonus!
A lot of forums suggest that they're trying to get everyone off of the Optima cards. Same with the Optima Oasis.

Daniel

#hackingtheplane(t)
Yep. It's actually the only fee-free flexible rewards card out there AFAIK. Definitely worth getting so that you have somewhere to park your MR points.

Yep. Although TYP definitely do not transfer to United. They don't even transfer to AA, and AA and Citi are partners.

Thanks in advance.
Nope, and you're welcome!