Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen

MrMike

Level 2 Member
I have a stay booked for late October. I could provide some details after that if you haven't yet been. It just opened about a month ago right? I think there was only 1 tripadvisor review at the time I made the booking. Looks nice enough considering I'll mostly be at the beach or off the property.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Just reading tripadvisor I see a number of mentions saying that the beach isn't nice due to the seaweed issue... but the hotel itself looks nice. Playa has changed so much since I first went there, and we popped in a month or so ago on route to Cozumel, lots of very high end hotels on the outside of town.

In terms of award options, not much to look at other than a couple of Wyndams at 15K..

Peridot83

Level 2 Member
Haven't been, but the reviews make the club lounge sound nice. Looks like you get a healthy spread morning and night plus beer.

MrMike

Level 2 Member
Just reading tripadvisor I see a number of mentions saying that the beach isn't nice due to the seaweed issue... but the hotel itself looks nice. Playa has changed so much since I first went there, and we popped in a month or so ago on route to Cozumel, lots of very high end hotels on the outside of town.

In terms of award options, not much to look at other than a couple of Wyndams at 15K..
I think the seaweed issue applies to pretty much the whole area unfortunately.
I didn't even realize there ae wyndam properties there. I thought about getting the fairmont card and staying 2 nights at their resort but its a bit further away and I opted to stay in town instead.

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
We stayed at the hotel the first week it opened. The seaweed didn't bother me at all. The hotel was the bomb! My kids loved it and the lounge was the best Hyatt lounge I have ever been to. I think I gained at least 10 lbs on that trip because of the delicious food they served in the lounge! I posted a bunch of pictures the Hyatt Playa del Carmen on my personal blog. I guess I can post the link if anyone is just dying to see my pictures! ;)

Peridot83

Level 2 Member
We stayed at the hotel the first week it opened. The seaweed didn't bother me at all. The hotel was the bomb! My kids loved it and the lounge was the best Hyatt lounge I have ever been to. I think I gained at least 10 lbs on that trip because of the delicious food they served in the lounge! I posted a bunch of pictures the Hyatt Playa del Carmen on my personal blog. I guess I can post the link if anyone is just dying to see my pictures! ;)
I'd love to. We go to Cancun nearly every year. I'm excited for new points options in the area.

DavidNJ

Level 2 Member
Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Hyatt Aruba? I've narrowed these two choices for a Thanksgiving, 2016 stay. Stopped in to the Hyatt, Aruba on 2/14/16 and asked what they offered for a Diamond week upgrade. It's either an OF efficiency or a 1 BR OV. Has anyone used a Diamond upgrade @ Playa del Carmen .... and what did you get? TY.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Hyatt Aruba? I've narrowed these two choices for a Thanksgiving, 2016 stay. Stopped in to the Hyatt, Aruba on 2/14/16 and asked what they offered for a Diamond week upgrade. It's either an OF efficiency or a 1 BR OV. Has anyone used a Diamond upgrade @ Playa del Carmen .... and what did you get? TY.
Better late than never...

Took my wife here for our anniversary back in early March. We stayed 5 nights on cash+points rate and applied one of my diamond upgrade certs to the reservation. The HGP concierge at the property reached out to me one week before our arrival with a generic 'contact me if there is anything I can help with during your stay' with her email address at the bottom of the message. I replied and basically said "This is an anniversary present to my wife and I am concerned about the noise from the beach club that others are reporting on Trip Advisor. We are hoping for a more 'tranquil' experience instead of 'party central' on this trip, so I would really appreciate it if you could block our suite so that it is located away from the beach club". When we arrived the HGP liaison who checked us in said in effect "ah yes Mr. Gloob, I see that our Assistant Manager has upgraded your Grand Suite to an oceanfront Plunge Pool Suite. She asked me to inform you that this room is on the opposite side of the property from the beach club. I think you will really like this suite."

So we basically got a one class upgrade into a oceanfront suite with spectacular views. The "plunge pool" however was kind of sad. I was hoping "Jacuzzi for 2", it was more like "3 foot deep 1/2 size standard bathtub" with no jets. We didn't wind up using it at all. But the balcony and suite were *very* nice, certainly one of the best rooms I've had at any Hyatt. The property is also amazing. My only real complaints are: 1) They close the beach (loungers/chairs/towels and waitstaff) and the pool (same things) at 6 so we really never got a chance to use them since we aren't "lie in the tropical sun and get burnt to a crisp" people. And 2) The beach club is **loud** and plays driving techno-beat music all afternoon but gets quiter at night. We could definitely still hear it on our balcony, but if we closed the balcony door it was barely noticeable. It would have *really* pissed me off to be woken up by that every day (we are night owls and we tend to be out extremely late "shutting down" bars that feature live musicians.).

Anyway, I loved the trip and want to go back ASAP. Probably won't happen for another year or two since I have more travel planned than I have PTO days to use!

Oh and they sent up 'champagne' every night in honor of our anniversary. Frankly it was pretty awful bubbly, but I still give them points for style!

Hope that helps!
Gloob

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Here's a few pics. I apparently didn't get any of the room. But here are two taken from our balcony, a pic of the bubbly, and a pic of our favorite local nightspot.

ETA: The beach club is where all the red umbrellas are in the first picture. We were the third suite from the end on the right hand side, so about as far as you can get from the club while still having an ocean-front room.

Last edited: