Gotta blow off some steam (Starwood Related)

Steven58

I like hats.
SPG Amex is a highly rated card. Starwood has properties on Disney Property, the Swan and Dolphin. So, I get myself a business AND personal SPG Amex. 25k pts. each after a 5k spend in the first three months.

So, I call down there to the hotel to ask if it's worth my getting a platinum amex (I was offered a 100k pts targeted signup offer). The platinum amex automatically boots you up to Gold SPG status. Apparently, they'll upgrade your room (Slightly) if your gold (free with amex platinum).. After hearing all this, the lady just happens to mention that they have this daily resort fee. Really? Resorts owned by Disney don't do that. In fact, they roll in airport transportation and resort usage. The only benefit to being an SPG is that they'll give you the highest level of resort usage for the fee. Really? No thanks.

She asked me if she helped me. I said yes, but that I didn't like the resort fee thing because Disney doesn't do it. The lady told me they have a resort fee so guests don't have to pay it if they don't use it. (They have different levels.) Really??

I am kind of angry at myself, because I feel as if I wasted my time with Amex SPG cards. Sigh. I need coffee.

Steven

pillow25

Level 2 Member
I don't get it. What are you mad about? The fact that resort fees are a thing? Or that the hotel / SPG charges a resort fee at the Disney hotel? To me, it sounds like someone didn't do their homework before applying for the two cards to make sure that those two cards were the right cards for the situation.

Steven58

I like hats.
Exactly.... I didn't do my homework. Disney resorts don't charge anything extra, nowadays, and the Starwood resorts that aren't on property are nicer and you can get them for less points. I'm mad at myself and am letting off steam about it.

Steven58

I like hats.
Yup.. it's not really so bad.. I just hear those properties are overrated...so this irritated me. I had lunch and I'm over it. :p

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly.... I didn't do my homework. Disney resorts don't charge anything extra, nowadays, and the Starwood resorts that aren't on property are nicer and you can get them for less points. I'm mad at myself and am letting off steam about it.
There are a couple of good threads here about Disney that might help - is it too late to cancel those awards and save the points for something else? SPG are good points to have.

Steven58

I like hats.
Ty Matt. I'll head on over the Disney area. Regarding cancelling the card, ... not necessary, really. I can stay there once with the fam. You see I was hoping to do the 100k points offer with platinum to upgrade to spg gold, but after hearing what the lady said about the benefits of the gold program, I couldn't justify the signup. I was disappointed, but I adjust. I now know that I don't want the platinum card and I don't want the spg amex for my main expenditures, once I make the initial 25k. I won't use it for flight as I have just qualified for S.West's companion pass.