Gopro action cameras

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
Since helping @Matt on a recent gopro purchase I've had a few people ask what I do to get the cost of the Gopro down. There are a few ways to go about it, of course, but I'll list the one I use the most below.

1- Sign up for email at sports authority and get a ten percent off code.
2- register for "the league" for 5% back to use at sports auth. at a later date
3- Buy the best gift card *
4- go through active junky to sports authority for 8% cash back
5- make sure you're signed in so you get the league points, pay for it with the gift card and make sure to include the 10% off code you got for the email sign up.
* Raise used to offer an extra 5% off every couple months on SA gift cards - you'd get them about 23% off and another 2% going to raise through a shopping portal. I haven't seen that extra 5% come around in a long time though. At the time of writing this you can avg. about 18% savings + another 2% with a portal.

Here's the breakdown on the hero + LCD (300 dollar camera)
300 - 10% off from email code = 30 dollars
270 - 8% cash back through active junky = 21.6 dollars
270 - 5% through the league - 13 dollars
That's 64 dollars, or about a 20 percent savings, NOT including the savings from the gift cards. Even if you only saved 18% on gc's, that's another 48 dollars for 112 dollars in savings (37% off)

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
Sportchalet looks promising with a gift card purchase. My best deal was getting 4x moosejaw points and 15%cb for about 55% off but when they do the extra point promos as of recently they've excluded gopros.

Chum

Level 2 Member
In the market for a gopro hero4 (silver or black) for upcoming trip! The best price I found so far is the ebay $379 black version.

sriki

Level 2 Member
In the market for a gopro hero4 (silver or black) for upcoming trip! The best price I found so far is the ebay $379 black version.
I have seen some SD posts on GoPro. I am watching the prices and trying to understand the different models there are. I want to get one too.

Mountainmanduy

Level 2 Member
You are better off with the gopro 4silver. I have the black and while it is cool to have 4k video, it just burns through the battery. The silver one has a lcd on the back so you can see what you are filming. I would recommend getting the wasabi batteries as backup batteries. It is amazon for a reasonable price.

smittytabb

Staff member
When I was in Antarctica a lot of people had these and I became pretty intrigued with them. Cannot tell you how many trips I could have used something like that!

aviator8

Level 2 Member
As a cheaper alternative you can consider the Xiaomi Yi. You can buy a few of them for the price of a gopro. It has very good reviews. I have an older Gopro 3+ and the next one I buy will be an Xiaomi Yi, at $65 i won't get too steamed if i destroy it.

Last edited:

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
The Gopro Hero 4, Silver Edition is the way to go. I've probably had every iteration of Gopro (including the first film one) and currently use the 4 Black. I'll probably sell it to downgrade to Silver. I don't even have a screen that would utilize the 4k and having the LCD screen is very convenient, especially if you are newer to gopro.

Here's an awesome accessory combo for those of you that wear packs/backpacks. Get the super cheap ventilated helmet strap- you can wrap it around the backpack strap near your chest/shoulder so it's like a cheap version of the chesty mount. Since you normally hold straps around there anyway it's a great way to stabalize. I've been pairing that with the blackout housing so it's super inconspicuous. Been through all kinds of markets and talking with people (or trying to depending on language) and no one notices it - VERY cool footage that way!

treklectic

Level 2 Member
1- Sign up for email at sports authority and get a ten percent off code.

Here's the breakdown on the hero + LCD (300 dollar camera)
300 - 10% off from email code = 30 dollars
Per SPORTSAUTHORITY.COM/EXCLUSIONS, it appears that the 10% promo code excludes gopro.

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
Yes, the avenues I used to use have been closing up. There was an amazing month at Moosejaw while it was on the discover deals site - you could double dip the portal to get gift cards for 10% off with discover (which doubled) then go through again to buy Gopros. When moosejaw would offer a 4x promotion (40% return in moosejaw points) that was 40% cashback and 40% back in points to use again. Now they don't allow you earn the reward points on gopro purchases. Wish I had gone after that one a little harder (as always)!

@Chum and @sriki - Currently you could look at using sports authority gift cards and the discover portal if it'll pay out using gift cards. If it does you're looking at 35% off. Not sure if you can use gift cards for most of the purchase and then put the rest on discover to trigger the payout? Worst case scenario use discounted gift cards (Im seeing about 15% off high denomination cards) and 8-10%cb via active junky for about 25% off.

I don't know much about the other brands of camera, I'm a huge Gopro advocate. That being said I want to recommend again that the hero 4 silver is the way to go. Even if it's your first one, having the LCD screen attached makes the learning curve 10x faster and cheaper. People that are getting the 3 because it's still got great quality potential and its a bit cheaper BUT the 4 allow's so much versatility including great footage for dark shots/night stuff. Plus if you get a camera without the LCD screen and decide to get it later, which you probably will, you'll now have to shell out 70 bucks or whatever they are now and have to carry a bunch of new backings. Carrying additional accessories and stuff becomes such a hastle and time waster.

I've got my gopro gear paired down to :
- Dual wasabi charger and batteries - same size as gopro's charger but it'll charge two batteries and once. It's 20 bucks for the dual charger AND two batteries so now you can have 2 spare, charged batteries at any given time.
- Ventilated Helmet Strap and Blackout housing- see previous post on how I use it.
- One skeleton back for general use and getting good sound and one full back with backdoor floaty attached
- Headstrap for POV shots
- I've got almost every accessory out there but I haven't gotten the new tri-use arm gopro made but that looks well worth packing on a trip.