Global Entry vs Automated Passport Control

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
I don't go overseas much, but does anyone have any experiences with Global Entry vs the regular Automated Passport Control kiosks? Is there a huge difference in the amount of time it takes?

TheBOSman

Staff member
Depends on airport and arrival time. I've been through DFW multiple times when basically empty, and it wouldn't have made a difference. Similar with LAX and JFK depending on arrival. But, when you're at the tail end of multiple arrivals, it pays for itself. I arrived at BOS once, and the line was legit 200-300 people deep, just for the kiosks/regular agents. That's a 1-2 hour line at least. All people with Global Entry were waved past this line, and went to the GE kiosks. Right there, possibly saved myself two hours. I've had similar happen at MIA. To me, it is well, well worth it.

PainCorp

The kiosks are pretty much the same though, right? It's now basically paying for quicker access to the same kiosk?

TheBOSman

Staff member
My instincts tell me GE is faster, and remember that with GE you're pre-interviewed and become a "Trusted Traveler", which seems to lead to fewer interactions with CBP based off anecdotal reports.

Of course, you also get TSA pre-check as a GE member (in the sense that I have yet to miss Pre-check once since becoming GE and the Pre program was instituted).

PainCorp

My instincts tell me GE is faster, and remember that with GE you're pre-interviewed and become a "Trusted Traveler", which seems to lead to fewer interactions with CBP based off anecdotal reports.

Of course, you also get TSA pre-check as a GE member (in the sense that I have yet to miss Pre-check once since becoming GE and the Pre program was instituted).
Yeah, I've only gone international twice since getting Global Entry. Once I forgot to take off my glasses, so I got the X to see an officer, and the other time it wouldn't read my passport.

Pre-check is amazing though.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Yeah, I've only gone international twice since getting Global Entry. Once I forgot to take off my glasses, so I got the X to see an officer, and the other time it wouldn't read my passport.

Pre-check is amazing though.
I've never had a problem having my glasses on, and my passport and GE picture both have my glasses on in fact. Also never had a problem with passport being read (passport is about halfway through its ten year lifetime right now).

PainCorp

I've never had a problem having my glasses on, and my passport and GE picture both have my glasses on in fact. Also never had a problem with passport being read (passport is about halfway through its ten year lifetime right now).
My picture has them with the glasses off. I was told that was the problem, but who knows.

smittytabb

Staff member
The kiosks are pretty much the same though, right? It's now basically paying for quicker access to the same kiosk?
N0t sure they are the same kiosk, at least at ORD as you peel off the line in a different place, I think. The GE kiosks are not interchangeable with it as far as I know.

Panache

Level 2 Member
If you arrive at IAD, all incoming international flights board mobile lounges that drive planeloads of people to the customs area. Make sure you stay near the entry door (in spite of dirty looks from people trying to get in/past you) so you can get out first and beat the rest of your plane to the line at customs.

smittytabb

Staff member
If you arrive at IAD, all incoming international flights board mobile lounges that drive planeloads of people to the customs area. Make sure you stay near the entry door (in spite of dirty looks from people trying to get in/past you) so you can get out first and beat the rest of your plane to the line at customs.
How would that work if everyone did it? If you have Global Entry there is a lot less need for that kind of strategy. I grew up in NoVa and I can see why they give you dirty looks:)

PainCorp

Mobile Lounges? Is that what we're calling shuttle busses now? =P