Get 5% interest and a $20 account bonus w/NetSpend

Codename47

Level 2 Member
Deal Removed.

I thought this was a good contribution, but all of you decided to go on a witch hunt :(

Last edited:
Reactions: RRD

RRD

Level 2 Member
Thank you for the comprehensive write-up. I am guessing this product is not from the same company as UnionPlus and Mango and therefore, the limit of a total of three of these cards per household won't apply.
Will use your referral link. Thanks.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Original comment removed.

It thanked the OP and asked for more info but I chose to remove it after the borrowing from Fat Wallet was pointed out below.

Last edited:

Someone

Level 2 Member
Cut-and-paste from FWF? Is that kosher? www.fatwallet(dot)com/forums/finance/1432026/

NetSpend itself is a prepaid debit card account that can be used for manufactured spending, but there is a savings account attached to it. If you have not had a netSpend account in the last 180 days, you can open one and take advantage of this offer. You can put up to $5000 in the savings account and earn 5% interest on it. There is nothing special about the prepaid debit card account and we are only going to use it as the money transfering tool. You can follow the simple steps below to open and fund the account.

(1) Find a $20 bonus referral link - this one is mine, but anybody who has a netSpend account should have one too) and click the link to order a netSpend Visa prepaid debit card.

(2) It takes about a week or so for the debit card to arrive. Once you have the card, go to https://www.netspend.com to activate it and sign up for an online account.

(3) Once inside the online account, you should find the routing number and account number (treated as checking) linked to your debit card. You can use the two numbers in your external bank account to set up ACH transferring so that using your external bank account you can ACH money into or out of the netSpend debit card account. This ACH transferring will be treated as Direct Deposit.

(4) Use your external bank account to ACH $40 into your debit card account, this will trigger the $20 bonus.

(5) In order to open the attached savings account, you need to upgrade your netSpend debit card account to a premier account. It is very easy to do so because you only need to ACH $500 into your debit card account one time from your external bank account. After doing that, your debit card account will be upgraded to a premier account automatically. Because we are not going to use the debit card for shopping, we can just keep the debit card in the pay as you go plan and there is no monthly fee. Otherwise, if you put your debit card in the feeadvantage plan, you need to pay a $5 monthly fee, so don't do it.

(6) After you have a premier debit card account, you can open a savings account which is linked to your debit card account. Use your external bank to ACH $4500 into your debit card account. Then you can internally transfer the $5000 from your debit card account into your savings account. The $5000 will earn a 5% interest in your savings account.

(7) Note that if you do not have an activity in your debit card account in 90 days, netSpend will charge you a maintenance fee. But it can be easily avoided. You can schedule ACH transfers in your external bank account to automatically push $5 into your debit card account and then automatically pull $5 out of your debit card account. This will generate the needed activities.

(8) Following the same steps, you can also open an account for your spouse if you want to put in another $5000.

Now enjoy your netSpend savings account which is earning a 5% interest at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Cut-and-paste from FWF? Is that kosher? www.fatwallet(dot)com/forums/finance/1432026/
Not sure but I read the OP's post as though s/he had written it. And indeed, CodeName47 may be wqshmswee on Fat Wallet.

If not, and if such borrowing is allowed, it should absolutely be indicated so we know the real source and credit is given where credit is due. Quoting something here should be no different than quoting something anywhere else: when you use another's work, you cite it!

Someone

Level 2 Member
Not sure but I read the OP's post as though s/he had written it. And indeed, CodeName47 may be wqshmswee on Fat Wallet.
CodeName47 (aka CN47) is pretty famous on FWF. Now that Sis is gone, he's probably one of the most prolific long-term posters around there. If wqshmswee is reusing his name here, that's pretty shady.

If not, and if such borrowing is allowed, it should absolutely be indicated so we know the real source and credit is given where credit is due. Quoting something here should be no different than quoting something anywhere else: when you use another's work, you cite it!
That's what I was getting at. Seems more like something Jamie Larounis would do https://saverocity.com/pfdigest/forward-cabin-makes-triumphant-return-boardingarea-plagiarism-suspension/

Haley

I am not a robot
How about we set up a conga on this? It should have been HT but nonetheless is mostly good info. The 5% savings account has been around for a few years and there are many FW threads about it, they go back to 2011 at least.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
CodeName47 (aka CN47) is pretty famous on FWF. Now that Sis is gone, he's probably one of the most prolific long-term posters around there. If wqshmswee is reusing his name here, that's pretty shady.
No, it's the opposite - CodeName47 posted it here; the poster on FW in the link you gave was wqshmswee.

Haley

I am not a robot
I would read the FW thread for more details.

Netspend bill pay can pay to AmEx for a small fee (I'm pretty sure it is $1.75).

Last edited:

Someone

Level 2 Member
No, it's the opposite - CodeName47 posted it here; the poster on FW in the link you gave was wqshmswee.
I was replying to your assertion that Cn47 on Saverocity and wqshmswee on Fatwallet are the same person and saying that's shady.

Obviously there's no way to police or prevent someone from taking a well-known username from one forum and using it on a different forum, but I find it pretty sketchy if that's what's happened here.

Going on the presumption that they are different people, if I were wqshmswee on Fatwallet, I'd be more than a little annoyed that Cn47 lifted my content wholesale and reposted it on another forum to generate referrals.

I was under the impression that this was the kind of place that wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I was replying to your assertion that Cn47 on Saverocity and wqshmswee on Fatwallet are the same person and saying that's shady.

Obviously there's no way to police or prevent someone from taking a well-known username from one forum and using it on a different forum, but I find it pretty sketchy if that's what's happened here.

Going on the presumption that they are different people, if I were wqshmswee on Fatwallet, I'd be more than a little annoyed that Cn47 lifted my content wholesale and reposted it on another forum to generate referrals.

I was under the impression that this was the kind of place that wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior.
Unless this is reported it's likely to be missed. So hit that button!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
@Codename47 your access has been reduced to Level 1 until this is resolved. I am not going to chase this up, it is up to you to explain what happened here.

PS - This is why referal links go to the CONGA thread.

Julian Brennan

Level 2 Member
Can I have a Netspend card with the 5% savings account additionally to a Paypal prepaid card (which is also issued by Netspend)?

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
@Codename47 your access has been reduced to Level 1 until this is resolved. I am not going to chase this up, it is up to you to explain what happened here.

PS - This is why referal links go to the CONGA thread.
Is the netspend conga thread already there ? Couldnt find it in search, otherwise I will open one thread for it.

Ttitle

Level 2 Member
Quick question: I opened a Netspend account and received a card, then deposited 500.00 and the 5% saving account was unlocked. They then sent me out a Premier Card, which I believe, has a 5.95 monthly service charge. Do I just not activate this card to stay on the pay as you go plan, which would not cost me a dime per month?

madage

Level 2 Member
Quick question: I opened a Netspend account and received a card, then deposited 500.00 and the 5% saving account was unlocked. They then sent me out a Premier Card, which I believe, has a 5.95 monthly service charge. Do I just not activate this card to stay on the pay as you go plan, which would not cost me a dime per month?
You can activate the Premier card and stay on the pay as you go plan.

Julian Brennan

Level 2 Member
Yes that's right. Just activate the new premier card and don't change anything else. They ask you to update your payment plan so you will have to decline this. They'll also send you emails once in a while to switch to the "better" plan. Ignore that stuff ;-)