Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Telluride

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

dhermsen

Level 2 Member
After talking about several tips that a few of us have used in the past to get better deals on ski trips, I thought I would post a general thread here were individuals can share lodging/ski resort review, discount lift tickets, etc. I will share what little knowledge I have accumulated over the past few trips. Feel free to add afterwards and I can help compile them into a wiki at some point.

Here goes my first attempt at a comprehensive post:

• As it goes without saying, in the ski world, the early bird gets the worm. Lift tickets are understandably cheaper the earlier in the season they are purchased as they allow the resort some start-up funds for the season in exchanged for discounted prices.
WINTER PARK

Winter Park had an early deal that my family is using for this year's trip. Through 10/8/15 of this year, Winter Park offered a 4-Pack deal for 4 unrestricted days of skiing for $179 for new members. I believe at this time, the renewal price was also the same. Single day lift tickets run from $89 to $113/day and 4 packs are usually ~ $416 so this can be a substantial savings. The 4 Pack is now $199 for renewal and $269 for new members. The pass also comes with the following:
    • 40% off walk-in rate at the Coca-Cola® Tubing Hill for pass-holders only
    • 40% discount on walk-In rates of ski or snowboard rental equipment (excluding lesson packages) for pass holder at Winter Park Resort
    • 10% off food and beverage at select WPR restaurants
    • $20 off walk-in rate on full day and MAX4 half day adult or child group lesson with Winter Park Ski + Ride School. (Valid for pass holder and immediate dependents only).
  • Other rates for Winter Park Season Passes are as follows:
  • Winter Park Resort Pass: Includes unrestricted access to Winter Park along with several days at resorts in Japan, Alaska, and New Zealand
  • Adult Pass (ages 18-69): $449
    *College Pass: $349
    Teen Pass (ages 13-17): $349
    Child Pass (ages 6-12): $269
    Child 5 and under Pass: $30
    Senior Pass (ages 70+) $349
  • A few other options exist that allow unlimited access at both Winter Park and Copper Mountain (Rocky Mountain Super Pass) and another that adds unlimited access to Eldora Alpine Pass as well as restricted (upto 6 days) access to Steamboat Springs.
  • Not a whole lot of points lodging options in the Winter Park area. It appears the Best Western Alpenglo at 20000 BW points/night and Holiday Inn Express Suites in Fraser at 20000 IHG points/night are your options.
  • Quite a few reasonably priced VRBO options exist here. Able to get a 2700 sq/ft condo across from the slopes with 4 bedrooms for $400/night plus tax/cleaning deposit. AirBnB were quite a bit more expensive.
  • Closest Airport if you are flying is Denver so any options that would get you there is your best bet for Winter Park.
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS
  • I have also been to Steamboat Springs in the past and know that they typically don't discount much other than their regular online discount for lift tickets. You can lower the price some if you sign for their mailing list and get the VIP emails. Through September, they were offering 40% Lift Ticket/Lodging/Rental packages. I get a second chance notice last week to book the same packages at 20% off.
  • In Steamboat Springs, I highly recommend One Stop Ski Shop. They weren't on the slopes so they don't offer free storage, but their rental prices were nearly half of the slope rental places and they spent a LONG time making sure my kids were fit well.
  • Lodging-wise: We have Quality Inn and Suites (10000-25000points/night), Hampton Inn (30000-40000 HHonors points/night), Holiday Inn (30000 IHG points/night), Fairfield (25000-30000 Marriott points/night), and for the time being Sheraton and Sheraton Resort Villas (12000-16000 and 20000-25000 SPG points/night respectively)
  • Multiple cities with direct flights to Yampa Valley Regional Airport.
    Code:
    http://www.yampavalleyregionalairport.com/winter-2015-2016-flight-schedule.html
EDIT: I can confirm that AMEX opened the following options for 2015/16 Skiing as of today 12/17/15:
  • Aspen/Snowmass--$50GC for 7100MR, $100GC for 14300, and $200GC for 28600
  • Jackson Hole--$50GC for 5000MR, $100GC for 10000, and $200 for 20000
  • Lake Tahoe--1 Day Child for 8700MR, 1 Day Adult for 14400, 3 Day Adult for 26400, and 5 Day Adult 40500
  • Lake Tahoe Rentals--1 Day Ski/Snowboard for 6300MR, 1 Day Demo for 9800
  • Park City--1 Day Child for 11900MR, 1 Day Adult 16900, 3 Day Adult 36500, and 5 Day Adult 54400
  • Park City Rentals--1 Day Demo 9800MR, 1 Day Ski/Snowboard 16900 (must be an internal typo)
  • Snowshoe Mountain--$100GC for 10000MR and $200GC for 20000
  • Steamboat Springs--$100GC for 10000MR
  • Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Keystone--1 Day Child 11900MR, 1 Day Adult 16900, 3 Day Adult 36500, and 5 Day Adult 54400
  • Vail Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Keystone Rentals-- 1 Day Ski/Snowboard 6300MR, 1 Day Demo 9800
  • Winter Park (been waiting for this!)--$100GC for 10000MR and $200GC for 20000
Not the greatest use of points but when you are point rich and cash poor you deal.

Last edited:

May

Try looking on the Airbnb website for Winter Park. I booked a studio that sleeps 4 for $783 for March. The owner claims its 20 minutes which I don't believe her but since it was so reasonable I am willing to drive a little further. This is the 1st time I have book on Airbnb I will let you know how it goes. I bought the Rocky Mountain Super Pass plus Max Pass add for an additional 22 ski resorts. This pass lets you ski for 5 days at 22 different ski resorts. Since I am from the East Coast my husband and I will be skiing Stratton and Killington early season. We are avid skiers and our favorite mountain is Taos New Mexico. There Adult ski weeks are wonderful. Best bang for the buck $150 for a normal week and $235 for a holiday week. 6 days of 2 hour lessons with the same instructor starting Sunday. They will move you up or down the ladder during the week according to your ability. Taos just got added to the Mountain Collective Pass. Let me know if you have any questions.

dhermsen

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I didn't have nearly as much luck with AirBnB in Winter Park for 12 people. Most of them were about $800/night. I didn't think I did too bad at $400/night for just across the street from the lifts. I'll keep checking them out in the future though. Might have been bad for me since I booked for President's Day Weekend, but since my wife is a teacher and I have 3 kids, it was kinda when I could go. Thanks for the advice about Taos. Definitely will have to check it out!