General discussion

lfas25

Level 2 Member
Make a thread for just random "schmoozing" that won't count towards your total post count.

Also probably a thread with typical acronyms that we will be using. (to help the newbies, such as HUCA = hang up, call again)

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
Thanks for creating the forum!
you should make a small notification next to the threads that are index-able.

SearchGuyD

Level 2 Member
When I open a topic, as long as I didn't open every new thread/reply it will still show from the outside as unread, please update so I can know from the outside when a new thread/reply was added after the last time I opened it.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Great idea, DtB. Wiki's saved me a ton of time on other forums instead of searching through endless threads. Probably saved the admins a few headaches too!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Starting them at this early stage will help dearly, instead of waiting until it's too late.
I'm researching Wiki solutions now. Also, we have a Resource's feature that will offer some interesting value, I will explore this further to see if it can perform this role, or if we need to code in additional functionality.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
When I open a topic, as long as I didn't open every new thread/reply it will still show from the outside as unread, please update so I can know from the outside when a new thread/reply was added after the last time I opened it.
Will look into this.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, just so you know you can also tag people into posts like this to draw their attention, just like a Twitter @username

Regarding the wiki idea that @DtB and @lfas25 mentioned could you check out the SPG thread here, I stickied a 'resource to the top of it. This may be a little different to what you are used to, but it might work? Let me know your thoughts.

Thread http://saverocity.com/forum/forums/starwood.24/

Look forward to your input folks.

DtB

Level 2 Member
Hey guys, just so you know you can also tag people into posts like this to draw their attention, just like a Twitter @username

Regarding the wiki idea that @DtB and @lfas25 mentioned could you check out the SPG thread here, I stickied a 'resource to the top of it. This may be a little different to what you are used to, but it might work? Let me know your thoughts.

Thread http://saverocity.com/forum/forums/starwood.24/

Look forward to your input folks.
Definitely a cool tagging feature.
As far as the Resource, it is interesting and (probably) gets the job done.
Two possible drawbacks that I see off the bat: it isn't part of a thread and can't be viewed on every page of the thread, like 'traditional' wiki's; its a link to a different page.
Also, it seems that only Staff Members can edit the wiki. You might want to consider opening that option up, if not to everybody then to those with certain credentials-maybe a specific post count.

Just my two cents.

I understand that all this is hard work and The Forum is still a work in progress, but you did ask for our opinion. :)

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a cool tagging feature.
As far as the Resource, it is interesting and (probably) gets the job done.
Two possible drawbacks that I see off the bat: it isn't part of a thread and can't be viewed on every page of the thread, like 'traditional' wiki's; its a link to a different page.
Also, it seems that only Staff Members can edit the wiki. You might want to consider opening that option up, if not to everybody then to those with certain credentials-maybe a specific post count.

Just my two cents.

I understand that all this is hard work and The Forum is still a work in progress, but you did ask for our opinion. :)
I think it is somewhat to do with being different also. If you wanted a definitive resource you don't necessarily need it at the top of every page (though maybe it would be better there) I'll see if I can't unlock access to such things. I think that all people with Level 2 can create Resources, but they can't edit others yet - I think that the editing of others might want to be at a certain level else it may require close monitoring and moderation.

AU1

Level 2 Member
Is there a way to ignore threads or boards so they don't show up in the new posts list?

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
I just joined this morning but have been following your blog for several months. I am more interested in manufactured spend at this time. Question: how do I become a level two user? Thanks.

Maria Sangria

Level 51
Thanks for all your effort, Matt.

Is anyone else having any width issues? Occasionally it bumps down to a narrow column width. Haven't found any correlation for that.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all your effort, Matt.

Is anyone else having any width issues? Occasionally it bumps down to a narrow column width. Haven't found any correlation for that.
I hadn't noticed, what platform are you using when this happens? And is it within threads or when viewing the forum in general?

Maria Sangria

Level 51
I hadn't noticed, what platform are you using when this happens? And is it within threads or when viewing the forum in general?
Still trying to figure that out. Seems to be within a thread. It just happened when I clicked on a thread, then clicked on "2" for page two. Haven't seen it happen on Travel Codex. Yes, I forgot to mention I was on my phone (Samsung Galaxy 3).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Still trying to figure that out. Seems to be within a thread. It just happened when I clicked on a thread, then clicked on "2" for page two. Haven't seen it happen on Travel Codex. Yes, I forgot to mention I was on my phone (Samsung Galaxy 3).
hmm... I think I know what it might be. Will look into it.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt,

I have an oddity that I am bringing to your attention. Although I have not marked any of the discussions for "watch" I am receiving notices for one of them (suggestions for West Coast Do). I checked the watch threads and it shows as blank. While it doesn't bother me, thought I should let you know.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
... If you wanted a definitive resource you don't necessarily need it at the top of every page....
Agreed - I actually find those Wikis at the top of every page in FT annoying because they mean more scrolling down to find what I want. I know where the Wiki (or in this case Resource) is and can go there as needed.

Mike

Silver Member
Hi Matt,

I have an oddity that I am bringing to your attention. Although I have not marked any of the discussions for "watch" I am receiving notices for one of them (suggestions for West Coast Do). I checked the watch threads and it shows as blank. While it doesn't bother me, thought I should let you know.
I believe the default setting is that any thread you post in is set as watched. CMIIW.

AU1

Level 2 Member
Agreed - I actually find those Wikis at the top of every page in FT annoying because they mean more scrolling down to find what I want. I know where the Wiki (or in this case Resource) is and can go there as needed.
I don't know if it's possible with the software Matt is using, but I've seen other forums where the Wiki is hidden by default on all but the top page, and can be expanded if necessary.