General discussion : Careers

Ethan

Level 2 Member
Did this subsection disappear? I was just reading the posts in it, and was formulating a post of my own, looking for career advice for switching into the tech field.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Crap. I hadn't seen any traction in the area and removed it when cleaning up today... If you can post here I'll move it into the newly recreated forum for you.

Ethan

Level 2 Member
I’m looking for advice on a career switch into the tech field. This would be a career and field switch. I have a bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field (environmental science) with a minor in economics from Northwestern University. Since college, I have worked in a variety of different jobs in a variety of fields including environmental educator, the building trades (carpentry, stone masonry), wilderness trip leader, among others. I’m currently working with a land conservation organization as a field assistant, monitoring, maintaining and improving the land preserves that my organization owns. I don’t know if/how my skills would translate to tech.

What is the best way to make a switch in the tech field? Should I pursue graduate school? A more focussed training on a specific skill or skill set? MBA? Data science certificate?

Any insight on this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
  • Why?
  • What is it that you see about tech that interests you?
  • What role within tech are you seeking? Can you visualize your day, would it be people focused, would it be working in front end design, network, security?
  • Would you want to be working for a vendor of technology (IE your role fits into selling to a business or customer)
  • Do you want to work for a start up?
  • What tech skills do you have now? Can you code? Are you familiar with command line/terminal/git?
  • What makes you think that tech is right for you?
I don’t know if/how my skills would translate to tech.
They do, you just need to know how to extract them. This is the only differentiator you have between you and the other guy who wants to do tech too.

The above questions are designed to help you think through this, and come to a better answer. For example, an MBA for a coder makes no sense, but an MBA can be useful within the tech field. Even if you don't know exactly what tech jobs are out there, thinking about how you visualize this lifestyle might help focus you into the type of tech you want to work with, and then it will be easier to narrow down into: I want to do XYZ in tech, how do I do it?

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
One of the "oldie but goodie" bibles for career switching is "What Color is Your Parachute......." by Richard Bolles. Its updated yearly, but any version at your library will contain the same basics. I always go back and reread when making a change.

Another time-tested approach for those at the initial stage of figuring out where they want to go and how to get there is to conduct interviews with people in the field. I advise clients to prepare an article that they will attempt to get published. To echo Matt, start by identifying the area of tech where your skills overlap with your likes and desires. ("Parachute" is a good resource for helping to do that.) Then identify people who work in those areas and interview them. Call (preferably) or email and say that you're preparing an article about xxxx and was hoping that you could pick their brains for 15 minutes, since they're experts in that area. You will be amazed how accessible and open many people will be--even high execs in big companies. Example intro: "Hi, my name is xxxx and I'm writing an article that examines how the increasing use of big data to shape marketing strategies is shifting the entry level hiring focus of many companies away from candidates with traditional marketing degrees to data analysts conversant in Python or R. Since you're dealing with this issue every day, I was wondering if I could get 15 minutes of your time to get your thoughts." These interviews will provide great insights, establish relationships, and in some situations allow you to showcase your knowledge and winning personality!

Ethan

Level 2 Member
Thanks for both of those answers. As I think about it, I don't know if tech is right for me. That is one thing I am trying to figure out. I know a handful of people working for some of the big tech companies, but it is hard to get them into a position to talk about it. The reason that I am interested in tech is that it seems like an exciting, fast paced field that is very modern and, by definition, stays modern. I am interested in making a higher salary (and be on a ladder with more height) than I currently am, but would want it to be a good fit for me as well. I don't think I'd want to be just focussed on programming or coding, I think those skills are interesting, but don't think I'd want to do that all day every day. I don't yet have many 'tech' skills such as programming or coding. I am beginning to learn C++. I think I would want to be more people focussed, ideally I'd see myself working on a variety of projects with a variety of people, which is sort of how I visualize the work day. I don't think I'd want to work for a vendor of technology; I'm more interested in product design or development. As far as working for a start up, at this point I'd rather work for an established firm. So, I'd like to work with people, using tech skills, probably in design or development.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It's just like any other field that pulls you for some reason. As Matt says, the process is two stepped.

Why do you want to do X for a living?

And what skills you currently possess will be a benefit in that field?

It can, for many people, be a challenging exercise, because they're not used to using critical thinking in praise of themselves, but the opposite.