GC Flip Question

JCPoints16

JCMiling
Hey All,
I have a question about selling GC to GCZ. I bought a $30 discounted GC from another site and I'm trying to flip it as a test drive. GCZ loss prevention team emailed me and is asking which website I bought it from. I want to tell them AZ b/c I see you can buy GC there for my dollar amt there (you can't on the actual retailers site). However, if they ask for a receipt I'm screwed cause I don't have one and I can't go onto AZ and print one.
Should I be honest and tell them I bought it from another discounter website? I was hoping to start flipping cards (though I did see a post that cautioned against it so I may rethink things) and I don't want to get banned from them?
I was thinking about just ignoring the email and let them cancel the sale and follow up after they cancel with some BS that I was busy but it was no big deal they canceled b/c I could actually use the card.
Thoughts???

Someone

Level 2 Member
You should probably tell them the truth. Some cards have extra terms attached and they may be trying to save you from sending them a card they can't resell. It may also just be that as a new account they are verifying everything - in that case, if they find out you aren't telling the truth, then you're probably going to end up banned.

If you really want to be opaque, say you got the card as a gift and don't know where it was bought.

spamman808

Level 2 Member
I think you should tell the truth too. If you are thinking about selling to GCZ in the future, you want to start a relationship where they can trust you. They asked you a questions directly, so the best thing you can do is answer truthfully. Ignoring the email will make you seem like a customer they may not want to do business with (poor at communicating, etc), and lying (if they find out, of course) would also hurt the relationship.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
They don't care. They want to know that you got it from a reliable source, not the guy selling them from his pockets.

One of the biggest resellers on Raise (as in, hundreds of thousands of dollars a month, big) buys from all the other online sellers, among other places. Does Raise care? Heck, no. He's honest, he's reliable and he brings them products that their customers want.

JCPoints16

JCMiling
Just a heads up to everyone, I let GCZ know I bought the card from Raise.com and they denied my purchase. They said they want cards to come directly from the retailer b/c there is a higher chance of problems when buying from a reseller site. Good thing it was only a $30 test run and I at least know their policy going forward.

Someone

Level 2 Member
Just a heads up to everyone, I let GCZ know I bought the card from Raise.com and they denied my purchase. They said they want cards to come directly from the retailer b/c there is a higher chance of problems when buying from a reseller site. Good thing it was only a $30 test run and I at least know their policy going forward.
*Always* do the small test first. And scale up *slowly* when you find one that works. There are often deals that work well and repeatedly at low dollar amounts (giving the illusion they will scale up) but you run into trouble once you try larger dollars or quantities.

JCPoints16

JCMiling
*Always* do the small test first. And scale up *slowly* when you find one that works. There are often deals that work well and repeatedly at low dollar amounts (giving the illusion they will scale up) but you run into trouble once you try larger dollars or quantities.
Good Advice! Thanks!

BTW I actually ran into a couple problems recently with a couple of the GC resellers. One was CP, i sold them a physical restaurant GC and it went through but when I sent it in for processing they said they ran into an issue and couldn't process it and said in the email they can not tell me why. Odd, but not concerned b/c it is to a restaurant I frequent so I don't mind using it (assuming they get it back to me properly). My guess is it was in there system once before. The amount on the card was somewhat large for this restaurant but if that was a problem I figured they wouldn't have approved the sale on their website. I also have had weird problems with GCM and SY. GMC canceled two small transaction I tried with them with no explanation (these were small purchases maybe $100 a piece). On SY I tried to buy (yes not sell) 1 card for about $100 value and they were denied. SY went so far as to ban me, but a quick call to customer service got my account up and running in about 30 mins...I tried again 2 days later to buy the same card, banned again...call to customer service and 2 days later my account is back up. Super weird! I'm not even trying to sell them anything yet and I'm not trying to buy large amounts. I'm worried about trying to buy the card again. My only theory is they ban me b/c I used a portal. I'm tempted to try and purchase without the portal to see if it works, but I don't want to get band again so I'm probably just going to let this one go.

Finally to end my rant, I was having problems trying to buy GC from the EB seller PPDG. They force you to use PP (my account was dormant for years and I have a brand new one as well) for your payment which I was fine with but every time I tried to buy a gift card the transaction encountered an error. These weren't large amounts and I have never purchased from PPDG. Now the GC are sold out so I missed out, I know the sale will come back at some point so it would be nice to get the problem solved.

Anybody have similar issues at any point in time?

Cytraveler

Level 2 Member
Well, I've had trouble with PayPal, buying on ebay. I bought some GCs on ebay recently. Then, during a flash 8% ebay bucks recently, I bought some more, but when I tried to buy an ebay GC, it gave me error messages. Called ebay - thought maybe it was because it was an ebay GC, but they said that was fine and it was PayPal. Called PayPal - more than once - and all the CSR could tell me was that it was an internal security thing, he couldn't tell what it was, but it was definitely PayPal barring the transaction and he couldn't tell me why. At that point, I didn't have any more time to talk to a PayPal supervisor, so I lost out on the deal. I've never been a fan of PayPal, and wouldn't use them except for the ebay bucks.

So it might have been on the PayPal end of things, not PPDG.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
PPDG is a nightmare. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And to be clear, PPDG is the problem. I've never had issues with SVM or GCM sellers on eBay and I use PP to pay them as well. PPDG must have extra "security measures." The insane thing is you can call Paypal and provide them any and every piece of information they could ever want, and they won't/can't override the system. Don't waste your time. If you get the vague error message, just move on and try again next time.

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
I appreciate the honesty. Just saying!

JCPoints16

JCMiling
I have a few gift cards from exxon and was looking at the best way to liquidate when the thought to sell it as a Mobile card. One reseller has a higher reseller purchase price for Mobile than Exxon. Both cards list both Exxon and Mobile logos. The only difference is the background graphics on the card. Anyone tried to sell a Exxon card as a Mobile card?