Fun routing ideas for Iceland

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
The bestie and I want to take a trip to Iceland in August of 2016. I can't wait! There are so many options for getting there, but I would love to hear some fun suggestions. We are using AA miles and I have a nice stash of avios for short legs. We will be gone maybe 12 days. We want to spend most if it in Iceland but thought "stopping over," I put it in quotes because I know it's not technically possible with AA, for a day or two somewhere sould be fun! Ireland, maybe? I'm open to all suggestions. I'd love to pay as little in taxes and fees, as well. That's basically it. Iceland, AA, fun stopover, and cheap taxes and fees. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
The bestie and I want to take a trip to Iceland in August of 2016. I can't wait! There are so many options for getting there, but I would love to hear some fun suggestions. We are using AA miles and I have a nice stash of avios for short legs. We will be gone maybe 12 days. We want to spend most if it in Iceland but thought "stopping over," I put it in quotes because I know it's not technically possible with AA, for a day or two somewhere sould be fun! Ireland, maybe? I'm open to all suggestions. I'd love to pay as little in taxes and fees, as well. That's basically it. Iceland, AA, fun stopover, and cheap taxes and fees. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
I guess I could mention we are flying from GJT, so basically phx or Dfw as gateways.

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
You could fly to EU, stay few days, then use Avios to fly AB ex-VIE|TXL to KEF. Do the reverse on the way back or fly WOW.
I love the VIE route! I stopped there once for like ten minutes while I waited to board another train! I was so sad I didn't get to go explore. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! You're awesome!

smittytabb

Staff member
Icelandair often has decent fares and you can stop over in KEF for free. It was the original budget European airline. Long before miles and points people would fly Icelandair to get to Europe cheaply and explore Iceland along the way. If you want to pay with miles, this is not an option, but worth checking out. I've flown them and am flying them again next summer to Iceland too.