FTU in Dallas in April?

Whitney

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone, I have only recently become obsessed with this hobby and am looking to to learn as much as possible! I signed up to go to the FTU in Dallas next month, even though I love in So Cal :)

Has anyone been to one of these seminars? Did you find it helpful?

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the Saverocity Forum!

In April 2013, I went to the FTU in DC. I did not find it useful, but it depends on your knowledge. When I went, I probably had about 5 to 6 months of serious knowledge of the miles & points. The big weakness (and still is) is on the redemption side. When I went, and a lot of things can change between then and now (like the Advanced sessions), it was way too beginner level. It was a serious credit card pushing seminar.

From what I understand also, there'll be a lot of concurrent speakers so you could pick and choose the seminar you wish to attend that would suit your needs

Barb

Level 2 Member
@Whitney , the biggest value in going to any miles and points conference is meeting other like-minded people. It is so amazing to talk to other people who know immediately what you are talking about (as opposed to your bewildered family and friends) and share your obsession. Great friendships have come out of these gatherings for me.

Networking and hearing about what people are doing, where and how they are traveling, that's the really valuable part. So to get the most out of a FF conference, make sure you're around the night before at the bar, around the swimming pool, at lunch and at happy hour. This is when you will learn the most.

And as CTP says, recognize that the primary purpose of FTU is credit card promotion.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent point that @Barb made that I didn't mention - it's the networking that can be made at the events. People come far and wide to the bigger events like FTU

Dia

Level 2 Member
Hi Whitney and Welcome! Having both been to and hosted conferences now, I have a couple of thoughts:
1. I think it's helpful to go to either FTU or Chicago Seminars once when you're new. You don't know what you don't know and just being in a room with 500 other obsessives is validating.
2. After that, smaller events are probably the way to go. You'll have more interaction with speakers and the audience is generally more friendly as well.

Whitney

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the input, everyone. Another benefit of it is that I live in So Cal and my mother lives in NY -- we are going to meet in at the seminar in Dallas. So, I get to see Mom, help her understand my new obsession and maybe learn a few things. :)