Free Furniture Shipping from Restoration Hardware [YMMV]

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
I just wanted to share my experience getting free furniture shipping from Restoration Hardware.

My wife had been eyeing a dining room table from Restoration Hardware for the last few months. It finally went on sale at enough of a discount (~40%) that we were ready to pull the trigger. We added to our cart and went to check out, only to see the shipping charge was $199. Mehh, nope, I'm no longer interested at that final price.

I began to wonder what RH would do if they knew that the $199 shipping charge was the sole reason for losing my order.

I decided to call last night to place the order by phone and "play dumb" about the $199 shipping charge, and not follow through with the order once they informed me of the $199 shipping charge, just to see what they would do. I called, gave all item info, address, email, etc. She did ask if I had made a purchase at RH before (I hadn't. At this point, if I had made an order before, I'm not sure if she would've pulled up my online account or if she was just asking for general information purposes).

She told me the shipping would be $199 and I expressed to her how expensive it seemed and that it was a deal breaker for me. I asked about ship to store (not available, but I already knew that). I told her never mind, I didn't want to order it at that price for shipping.

She asked/confirmed if I want to cancel the order due to the price of shipping; I said yes. She then said, "Well, since it's your first time ordering, I will waive the shipping charge. If we waive the shipping charge, would you still be interested in ordering?" Uhh, yes! Gave her my CC#, thanked her, and got the email confirmation a few minutes later.

I wasn't expecting this to work, and was 100% prepared to walk away, but I'm glad it did work.

YMMV.