Forward Shifting Spend

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Forward Shifting is a concept that allows us to prepay for certain items now, in order to reap present day benefits. A good example of this in personal finance is to over pay state income taxes, because your annual Federal deduction is calculated by the question “How much did you pay this year?” rather than “How much were you asked to pay this year?” The advantage here is that you can defer income tax at a high rate (particularly useful prior to retirement, sabbatical, returning to college, etc). Don’t forget to pay with a gift card or 20 too….

When it comes to credit card minimum payments, forward shifting (FS) is another opportunity to meet spend requirements. Let’s explore that.. much more fun than taxes, right?

Key considerations:

• Category Bonuses (of FS Card)
  • Category Bonuses opportunity cost (alternative cards)
  • Discount rate via
    • interest saved, such as: student loans, mortgage
    • interest earned such as: high yield checking, selling drugs, binary options (listed in order of risk)
  • Loss Risk and Change Risk
  • Future Bonus Risk
Category Bonus considerations

If you own a Chase Ink Bold, which has 5x for your cell phone, and need to FS $3000 of Barclay Arrival (2x everywhere) then FSing cellular has opportunity costs of the points spread. Example:

• 3000×5 = 15000 ultimate rewards
  • Average phone bill $100 per month
You therefore are ‘paying’ 15000 in lost opportunity in order to receive your min spend bonus on the Arrival. All things considered, if you have no other option and risk losing the 40,000 pts of signup bonus then it is worth paying this, but in a bigger picture it would be wiser to find an alternative category to FS should you hold the Ink Bold. The perfect solution of course, is to FS into your own bonus category, which is why when I apply for Ink Bolds I might well prepay $1-2K of ATT bills with it, should I be struggling to meet the spend.

Discount Rate

Even if you find the perfect category, you must accept that you are tying up money which could be used for other things. In a low interest rate environment this is an attractive proposition, but if you have debts, such as a student loan or mortgage payment you should price in the (tax adjusted) APR of these liabilities when considering a FS. Example:

You prepay $2000 onto your ATT Bill Via Ink Bold

• Earns 2000X5 = 10000 ultimate rewards
  • Average Bill $100
This is (somewhat) like you are gifting a bond to your cell phone carrier… it has a face value of $2000 and each month they receive a premium of $100 from that. In exchange you receive 10,000 ultimate rewards in advance, rather than each month. There is some value to receiving them in advance as it can be the difference in booking an award trip today, prior to a future devaluation- but is it worth the free loan to your cellular carrier?

If you have a student loan with an after tax interest rate of 3% and $2,000 of cash available you could apply it to principle, it might appear like this:

• Frankie has graduated with $21000 at 3% and pays $202.78 per month towards the loan over 10 years, he’s free and clear in March 2024.
  • Jonny graduated with the same debt, but put the lump sum of $2000 against it, maintaining payments at the same rate:

Frankie and Jonny prepaying a loan or Forward Shifting

As you can see, Jonny will pay off his loan 13 months earlier, and save $652 in interest payments, even at a low rate of 3%. However, it should be noted that he will also have to pay his cell phone bill every month whereas Frankie does not. While this is important, I think the value Frankie has here is offset via the behavioural finance concept of forced savings/forced impoverishment. IE because Frankie has less monthly outflows but no firm saving plan he is more susceptible to lifestyle inflation. Not guaranteed, but something to be mindful of.

Loss Risk and Change Risk

Forward Shifting can be a direct payment to a cell phone carrier, which seems hard to lose, but it could also be created via a spend analysis. For example:

You might spend $100 per month on Starbucks, forward shifting $1,000 of spend onto Starbucks giftcards would help you achieve the minimum spend on a credit card, but might also mean that you lose a gift card. Some streams, such as Starbucks would allow you to upload your balance, but others may require that you hold a physical giftcard. Indeed, you could FS pure cash buy purchasing giftcards (not to be MS’d) but these can be susceptible to loss. Many cards are replaceable, providing you have registered them, or have access to the card number, but reclaiming the funds can take a lot longer than you might imagine. Worst case, you could just be SOL.

Change risk might come should you prepay Starbucks and suddenly elect to stop buying coffee for health reasons, or move to a town that doesn’t have a Starbucks. You might think it is a good idea today, but if you are FSing a year or more in advance, you bring in risks that you might not have thought of by committing to a brand. Another example might be to buy airline gift cards, only to have your airline of choice stop service from your departure airport.

Future Bonus Risk

You might have figured out every angle, and decided that there was no better way to get Amazon credit than to FS an arrival card. But what happens if you have $3,000 of Amazon credit secured and then the Freedom announces that Amazon is a 5x category? Or if they suddenly sell discounted giftcards? If you have pushed your money into Amazon in advance you lose this opportunistic value, often something that cannot be planned for. I’d suggest looking at Freedom et al category bonuses as far out as you can before thinking of this.

Conclusion

Overall, FS is a good way to make minimum spend bonuses in a pinch. It is particularly helpful to people who find MS difficult or undesirable, however, you should be mindful of opportunity costs and risks associated with it.

The post Forward Shifting Spend appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
I have done this with hotel gift cards. Last year I found a deal getting 10% off Hyatt gift cards. I knew I had some stays coming up with points and cash and I was also trying to get Diamond status and needed to supplement my stays with some spend on my Hyatt credit card to get the equivalent of 5 nights of stay. I used the Hyatt CC to buy the GCs at a discount but also got 3x Hyatt points for the purchase itself just like I would if I were paying for the stay with the CC. My stay was in 2015 but I needed the spend in 2014.

Daniel

#hackingtheplane(t)
I think the most common thing I do this with is my cell phone bill, but because I split that with my family I can always ask for them to spot me the cash I've FSed if I'm in a pinch. That said, I generally try to eliminate the money I tie up in anything less than 90% liquid (i.e. I could liquidate immediately at 90% value; FS for bills/utilities outside my cell phone bill are therefore 0%). I don't have a science behind it, but it might be worth crunching through.

On a meta-level -- @Matt , your posts are super thoughtful, and you highlight a lot of calculations and issues that either a) people don't think about but should or b) people do implicitly but don't give much further thought to. So thanks for that.

Ethan

Level 2 Member
Something I've been thinking about with this is using a 0% APR offer to prepay something like home insurance, which also would help with the sign-up bonus. Then you would just carry the balance on the 0 % interest card and pay your regular monthly rate. In my case, it is also beneficial because I save a bit by paying a lump sum, either 6 months or 12 months. Not much, $2/month, but every little bit...

I guess the downside would be a hit to your credit score by carrying a balance, but if if is 2% or less of your total credit, how much would it really affect your credit score?

v4vainglory

Forward Shifting is a concept that allows us to prepay for certain items now, in order to reap present day benefits. A good example of this in personal finance is to over pay state income taxes, because your annual Federal deduction is calculated by the question “How much did you pay this year?” rather than “How much were you asked to pay this year?” The advantage here is that you can defer income tax at a high rate (particularly useful prior to retirement, sabbatical, returning to college, etc). Don’t forget to pay with a gift card or 20 too….

When it comes to credit card minimum payments, forward shifting (FS) is another opportunity to meet spend requirements. Let’s explore that.. much more fun than taxes, right?

Key considerations:

• Category Bonuses (of FS Card)
  • Category Bonuses opportunity cost (alternative cards)
  • Discount rate via
    • interest saved, such as: student loans, mortgage
    • interest earned such as: high yield checking, selling drugs, binary options (listed in order of risk)
  • Loss Risk and Change Risk
  • Future Bonus Risk
Category Bonus considerations

If you own a Chase Ink Bold, which has 5x for your cell phone, and need to FS $3000 of Barclay Arrival (2x everywhere) then FSing cellular has opportunity costs of the points spread. Example:

• 3000×5 = 15000 ultimate rewards
  • Average phone bill $100 per month
You therefore are ‘paying’ 15000 in lost opportunity in order to receive your min spend bonus on the Arrival. All things considered, if you have no other option and risk losing the 40,000 pts of signup bonus then it is worth paying this, but in a bigger picture it would be wiser to find an alternative category to FS should you hold the Ink Bold. The perfect solution of course, is to FS into your own bonus category, which is why when I apply for Ink Bolds I might well prepay $1-2K of ATT bills with it, should I be struggling to meet the spend.

Discount Rate

Even if you find the perfect category, you must accept that you are tying up money which could be used for other things. In a low interest rate environment this is an attractive proposition, but if you have debts, such as a student loan or mortgage payment you should price in the (tax adjusted) APR of these liabilities when considering a FS. Example:

You prepay $2000 onto your ATT Bill Via Ink Bold

• Earns 2000X5 = 10000 ultimate rewards
  • Average Bill $100
This is (somewhat) like you are gifting a bond to your cell phone carrier… it has a face value of $2000 and each month they receive a premium of $100 from that. In exchange you receive 10,000 ultimate rewards in advance, rather than each month. There is some value to receiving them in advance as it can be the difference in booking an award trip today, prior to a future devaluation- but is it worth the free loan to your cellular carrier?

If you have a student loan with an after tax interest rate of 3% and $2,000 of cash available you could apply it to principle, it might appear like this:

• Frankie has graduated with $21000 at 3% and pays $202.78 per month towards the loan over 10 years, he’s free and clear in March 2024.
  • Jonny graduated with the same debt, but put the lump sum of $2000 against it, maintaining payments at the same rate:

Frankie and Jonny prepaying a loan or Forward Shifting

As you can see, Jonny will pay off his loan 13 months earlier, and save $652 in interest payments, even at a low rate of 3%. However, it should be noted that he will also have to pay his cell phone bill every month whereas Frankie does not. While this is important, I think the value Frankie has here is offset via the behavioural finance concept of forced savings/forced impoverishment. IE because Frankie has less monthly outflows but no firm saving plan he is more susceptible to lifestyle inflation. Not guaranteed, but something to be mindful of.

Loss Risk and Change Risk

Forward Shifting can be a direct payment to a cell phone carrier, which seems hard to lose, but it could also be created via a spend analysis. For example:

You might spend $100 per month on Starbucks, forward shifting $1,000 of spend onto Starbucks giftcards would help you achieve the minimum spend on a credit card, but might also mean that you lose a gift card. Some streams, such as Starbucks would allow you to upload your balance, but others may require that you hold a physical giftcard. Indeed, you could FS pure cash buy purchasing giftcards (not to be MS’d) but these can be susceptible to loss. Many cards are replaceable, providing you have registered them, or have access to the card number, but reclaiming the funds can take a lot longer than you might imagine. Worst case, you could just be SOL.

Change risk might come should you prepay Starbucks and suddenly elect to stop buying coffee for health reasons, or move to a town that doesn’t have a Starbucks. You might think it is a good idea today, but if you are FSing a year or more in advance, you bring in risks that you might not have thought of by committing to a brand. Another example might be to buy airline gift cards, only to have your airline of choice stop service from your departure airport.

Future Bonus Risk

You might have figured out every angle, and decided that there was no better way to get Amazon credit than to FS an arrival card. But what happens if you have $3,000 of Amazon credit secured and then the Freedom announces that Amazon is a 5x category? Or if they suddenly sell discounted giftcards? If you have pushed your money into Amazon in advance you lose this opportunistic value, often something that cannot be planned for. I’d suggest looking at Freedom et al category bonuses as far out as you can before thinking of this.

Conclusion

Overall, FS is a good way to make minimum spend bonuses in a pinch. It is particularly helpful to people who find MS difficult or undesirable, however, you should be mindful of opportunity costs and risks associated with it.

The post Forward Shifting Spend appeared first on Saverocity Travel.

Continue reading...
Forward spending doesn't work for amex premier gold cards do they? I was reading the terms and stuff and it states you can not gain reward points for prepaid cards or gift cards with it.

Brion

I've found a couple times that this has been a no-brainer for me - both with the Freedom card. The last week of last quarter I went to my local Arco gas station and bought $700 of gas gift cards to hit the maximum spend for the quarter - those are used up now. This quarter I loaded the max $1500 to Amazon when Freedom increased the cash back there to 10% for rest of quarter - between groceries from Amazon Fresh and Christmas presents most/all of this will be gone sometime in January. So pretty low risk way that locks in the full cash back bonuses available.

fpguy

Level 2 Member
This is an excellent primer on the subject. When I started I first maxed out all FS that I was comfortable with:
Had a lease on an apt that was expiring in 5 months
$100/mo Cell phone bill paid 5 months ahead = $500
$80/mo gas bill paid 5 months ahead = $400
$30/mo ISP paid 5 months ahead = $150
$10/mo renters insurance 5 months ahead = $50

That is $1110 FS paid instantly which I used to meet min spend as part $3000. I had a stable job at the time that wasn't going anywhere, 6 months in savings, knew that I wasn't leaving til the lease was up and had trustworthy roommates, and then factored in what else I could have used the money for at the time and came up with a happy medium.

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
I forward spent on AmEx offers as well. Due to authorized user cards we often qualify for each one about 10 times. Loading $100 to Dunkin Donuts now saves us $50 and allows us to max out the benefits that we wouldn't be able to reach before the expiration date. Of course this is a much smaller scale.

The downside of maxing out something like the Chase Freedom Amazon offer is that you lose credit card protection. Not a big deal for things like groceries and diapers, but if you were planning on buying some new electronics next year you might prefer to have the extra warranty protection.

sbft77

Level 2 Member
... Freedom card. The last week of last quarter I went to my local Arco gas station and bought $700 of gas gift cards to hit the maximum spend for the quarter ...
Arco accepts credit cards for Arco gift cards? Do you just happen to be in a rare location that allows this (e.g., Seattle)?

sbft77

Level 2 Member
For cell phone bills, there may be the option of having them send you a check for the credit balance, to avoid having your money tied up there for a long time. Anyone have bad experiences with that (e.g., your cellular account being closed due to this, or them processing it as a return to your credit card rather than mailing you a check )? I've only done it once, when I was switching to a different carrier anyway; I had a credit balance on the old carrier, and they sent me a check when I closed the account; and there was a period of 8 months between my last payment and closing the account. I'm guessing at some point it wouldn't go as smoothly, e.g., pre-paying $100k and then closing the account a couple days later.

Brion

Arco accepts credit cards for Arco gift cards? Do you just happen to be in a rare location that allows this (e.g., Seattle)?
Maybe I just lucked out, but yes, the first Arco I went to didn't even bat an eye when I asked for 7 $100 GCs and paid with my Freedom card. And yes, I'm in Seattle area, on the Eastside.

sbft77

Level 2 Member
Maybe I just lucked out, but yes, the first Arco I went to didn't even bat an eye when I asked for 7 $100 GCs and paid with my Freedom card. And yes, I'm in Seattle area, on the Eastside.
Ok... Most Arco locations, e.g., in California, don't take credit cards at all (for gas or anything else). But in Seattle they do.

Andres

Level 2 Member
For cell phone bills, there may be the option of having them send you a check for the credit balance, to avoid having your money tied up there for a long time. Anyone have bad experiences with that (e.g., your cellular account being closed due to this, or them processing it as a return to your credit card rather than mailing you a check )? I've only done it once, when I was switching to a different carrier anyway; I had a credit balance on the old carrier, and they sent me a check when I closed the account; and there was a period of 8 months between my last payment and closing the account. I'm guessing at some point it wouldn't go as smoothly, e.g., pre-paying $100k and then closing the account a couple days later.
Verizon limits you to only $500 in pre-payments. Don't know about the other carriers.

Does anyone have any experience with Verizon/TMobile on reimbursement for pre-payment WITHOUT closing the account?

sbft77

Level 2 Member
Verizon limits you to only $500 in pre-payments. Don't know about the other carriers.
Regarding limits, on T-mobile, I've had a $1400 credit balance (the highest single payment I've done was $1000); I don't know if they have any limit.

sbft77

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have any experience with Verizon/TMobile on reimbursement for pre-payment WITHOUT closing the account?
I tried it on T-mobile. They said for a credit balance due to overpayment, they can only give a refund to the method that was used to pay (the most recent one). So, no check if you paid with credit card. And the amount refunded to the credit card is just the amount that was most recently paid from that card, not the whole credit balance amount (at least in my case).

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I've been thinking about this since we have a $450 credit offer from Citi with 5k/mo spend X 3 months. I'm going to go ahead and prepay some charitable giving since they take CC. I know CC processing is an additional cost, but they'll have money upfront vs. monthly.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
LOL, I've still got 3 figures in credit from FSing Starbucks when the Freedom card had a deal last year!

Soc Rates

Forward spending doesn't work for amex premier gold cards do they? I was reading the terms and stuff and it states you can not gain reward points for prepaid cards or gift cards with it.
Purchasing prepaid cards or gift cards is somewhat different from forward shifting your spend. In the example that Matt used, you "pre-pay" your ATT cell phone bill for the next six months in order to meet the minimum spend. And as Jivepicnic
Policies listed in the T&C do not always match our experiences in practice.
Ditto. In addition, forward shifting your spend can be different from purchasing prepaid cards or gift cards. In the example that Matt used, you "pre-pay" your ATT cell phone bill by X amount of dollars in order to meet the minimum spend.

sbft77

Level 2 Member
Purchasing prepaid cards or gift cards is somewhat different from forward shifting your spend. In the example that Matt used, you "pre-pay" your ATT cell phone bill for the next six months in order to meet the minimum spend.
Buying gift cards is in some cases the same as forward shifting spend, if you're going to use the gift cards later for actual spending, e.g., Amazon gift cards; with Freedom's 10x on Amazon for a limited time, you might buy a bunch of Amazon GCs now to use later. (Though, even at 10x, I might not buy that much Amazon GC, since with various amex sync offers, grocery store deals, etc throughout the year I usually get a higher discount on Amazon GCs (which I guess is another example of forward shifting spend). Those deals don't scale to large amounts though.)