Review Food in New Orleans

Brion

In another life I was clearly a Cajun because the food there was heaven on Earth to me. So I figured I'd share a few of my hits and misses with the group.

Hits:
Leah's Pralines:
A must stop in New Orleans if you like sweets. The pralines are good, the brittles are amazing. A pecan-coconut was really good, the bacon-pecan brittle was to die for.

Little Vic's -
I stopped here on a food tour (more on that later in post) and the muffaletta was so good, I stopped back during a lunch break a few days later. Not sure if anything else is good here, but don't let the hole in the wall spot fool you - go inside, order, and if it's nice out sit in the inner courtyard while enjoying your sandwich.

Three Legged Dog -
This place is a dive. We got some unfriendly looks when we walked in (we clearly weren't locals). I would NOT recommend walking to/from this place after dark. OK, disclaimers aside - we wanted to find an authentic crawfish boil and this was it. We befriended a local named Sue who took us under her wing and showed us how to eat the crawfish and eventually the rest of the group warmed up to us. Good thing, just check out the sign above the bar in the 1st picture. The latter is a pic of the goods - all you can fit into the Styrofoam container for $15.

Mothers -
This little spot had the best crawfish etouffe and jambalaya I had my entire trip. It doesn't look like much from the outside (or the inside for that matter), but compared to the Three Legged Dog it's downright luxurious. But don't let the looks fool you - the food is out of this world!

And Misses...
Antoine's Restaurant-
One of the longest running restaurants in the United States - having been operated consecutively by the same family since 1840. White table cloths, tuxedo's maitre'de, and extremely disappointing and mediocre food. About 8x more expensive than Mothers I wasn't more than a bit or two into my entree when I really regretted not having gone back to Mothers. :-( If you want to go for the history of the place, great. But don't go expecting the food to match the history.

The Best Decision I Made -
I booked a food tour with www.doctorgumbo.com via Viator and it was great! My first day was spent experiencing great food and learning about the history of New Orleans and as I spend the rest of the week wandering the city I a) knew some good spots to eat and b) knew the history of the areas I was exploring.

If you have a favorite spot in New Orleans let everyone know here!

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
http://www.lukeneworleans.com/ At the bottom of the Hilton.
Happy hour 75 cent gulf oysters and half off tap beers, house wine, and mixed drinks.
They don't really advertise the HH well. I only know about it because my sister was a bartender here for 2 years.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
http://www.lukeneworleans.com/ At the bottom of the Hilton.
Happy hour 75 cent gulf oysters and half off tap beers, house wine, and mixed drinks.
They don't really advertise the HH well. I only know about it because my sister was a bartender here for 2 years.
We stayed at that HH last year. Lounge was closed for renovation so we got free breakfast (HH Gold) every morning in the restaurant! Food was great.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
As an ex-pat I feel obliged to state that its not possible to have A Favorite restaurant in NOLA. It all depends. Even ten years later, old timers divide the landscape between the joints that have opened post Katrina, vs the restaurants and chefs that were there prior to the storm. NYT did a decent piece on the former: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/dining/new-orleans-restaurants-post-hurricane-katrina.html?_r=0. Although I tend to visit the latter, I've never been disappointed at Cochon or some of the other newer places listed. Food is a much bigger deal in NOLA than just about any other city, and if you get out of the quarter and into the neighborhoods any local will gladly give you their opinions of neighborhood spots. NOmenu.com, Gambit, and Nola.com all offer quality reviews. Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, here are some favorites: Dooky Chase; Susan Spicer's two places, Dragos, Casamentos, & Felix's; Jacques Imo's; Liuzza's; Mosca's (still worth the drive); K-Paul's; Atchafalaya's, NOLA--list goes on and on.