Flying on AA: Want to use AS perks but accrue AA miles?

booyaa

Level 2 Member
So I have Alaska MVP status and have a short trip on AA coming up. I want to use MVP status for free checked bags, better seats, etc., but I want to accrue miles to AA. I initially put down AS number on PNR, at what point do I switch it to AA and how? I can't even edit it now on AA.com. Call in after check in? Then change back to AS after arrival, and call in after return check in again?

Someone suggested to get gate agent to change it. Are AA gate agents well-versed in such a procedure? Is it important to have boarding pass re-printed at gate to show AA number?

Thanks

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Change to AA# after checking in with free bag and before boarding**. I would go with gate agent (find one who isn't too busy) or lounge agent. Yes, they reprint BP. I have encountered resistance from check-in agent so tend to avoid that.

For return, I would tweet AA to change back to AS#. I do this all the time. Much easier than calling.

**If you have a connection, I was even able to change it during the layover and all miles still posted to the AA account. I can't guarantee it always works though.