Flight Cancellation debacle - WWYD?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for some wisdom from the crowds here.

Started out with JFK>JNB>MRU and ended up with JFK>DXB>MRU.

We're back now, and everyone survived! However, our recent flight to JNB on SAA was cancelled, and we managed to have them rebook us via DXB on Emirates. Because of the delay to get us onto the first flight to DXB, and the extended layover, we arrived to our destination about 18hrs off schedule (meaning we had to lose 1 night at the hotel, but the hotel was kind enough to refund us without issue.

We booked an additional room in DXB to sleep before joining the next flight, as it had a late departure time (some unearthly time like 2am or so) with the theory that it would be reimbursed.

Current status: Was planning to claim a trip delay insurance via Citi, and/or SAA customer service, but also wondering if there is any compensation beyond the out of pocket expenses that we should aim for. I know there's something about how European related flights have strong protection in cases like this, but not sure how the US side works.

Appreciate any insights on this from you experienced travelers!

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Trip delay with Citi is always a good idea. I know in the past, I have sent a note to CS online to United for rerouting my flights leading to expenses for hotel and other misc. They compensated me with a travel certificate. I did send that note after my travel was complete and detailed how I felt.