File Ransom ?

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Hubs logged onto his work server tonight and all his files have been encrypted and needs a ransom paid to unlock the files. We don't know if it was him that spread the virus or if it's on the work server. Guess they'll know tomorrow when the IT guy comes in. I doubt they'll pay the ransom as I think they back up the servers everyday. But...this gets me to thinking...what's the safest way to back up our personal files? Is it a cloud service or an external drive? Do people do both? Is one more cost effective? I'm thinking a cloud would be better so it's auto backed up and you don't have to think about it every so often.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I know the feeling. Our company's servers were also hit recently. But, the damage was minimal and we did not pay.

Coming to your question, my personal preference is to avoid anything cloud for personal stuff. This is based on two things.

1. I don't like my life up on some server somewhere. I like to have the most control over my data. (Most is relative if being specific)

2. Cost. I do not see enough value in automatic cloud backup/sync services to pay for them (personal stuff; not work related).

The way I do is to copy important files onto an external hard drive. This can be done manually or through the use of some software (free).

Lappie

Level 2 Member
If you back up to the cloud constantly, this virus can damage the cloud backup as well. Since as the files are encrypted, they get changed, and therefore, uploaded to the cloud. If you cloud has previous versions, then that would help, if not, you just backup the encrypted files.

Its good to have an external drive that is swapped periodically.

Walmero

Level 2 Member
yeah, it's a pain, but nowadays you have to have a backup disconnected from your computer and squirreled away in a safe place in addition to the backup you are currently using (if automated). Of course there is no guarantee your air gapped backup wasn't infected at an earlier point, just depends how long the latency period is for the ransomware.