FICO Score Taking a Hit

pstlb

Level 2 Member
I've been at this hobby for a couple of years now with 17 new credit cards in that time. Was able to keep my FICO between 780-820, but recently have taken a nose dive to 757. It seems my biggest problem is how to schedule the AGC purchases. AGC takes forever to post to my accounts, leaving little time to pay the CC before the due date, thus leaving a reportable balance to the agencies on the card. I don't want to pay too early and have a negative balance on the card - staying under the radar. Should I only be purchasing AGC within the first 2 weeks of the cycle? Anyone have any suggestions as to how they manage their AGC purchases or other late posting purchases? I tend to order personalized cards and they take much longer to post. Should I just forgo the personalized cards and just hope I don't have a problem liquidating them. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have a particular interest in keeping my score high and utilization low. Thanks again!

Domat

Level 2 Member
Don't forget that your credit only matters when you are applying for something. Fico scores are only a snapshot at that particular time so if you have a higher utilization one month and your fico dips it really doesn't matter. All you have to do is pay it off before your statements cut the next time you want to apply for something.

Also in most cases a fico of 760 is the same as a 820. You would not get a better mortgage rates (for instance) either way.

Forgoing the personalization depends on your liquidation methods. Are you asked to see them or not? Maybe on some you are and some you aren't and a personalized card at the beginning of the month and then a non personalized 2 weeks later would work.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
I'm in basically the same boat, but have found that with enough cards (and thus, very large overall credit), I am able to change which card I am purchasing with throughout the month to keep the AGC cards rolling in while being able to pay off the other ones before they are due.

Assume you have 4 cards, each with a due date 15 days after the next (you can choose your own due date on many cards)
Card 1, 2 due on the 1st
Card 3,4 due the 15th

Order with Cards 1/2 the first two weeks. Liquidate as you get the orders.
Order with 3/4 after the 15th. Liquidate. Make sure to pay off cards 1/2 first.
This will always give you two weeks for the purchase to post, the cards to arrive, and to liquidate.

As long as you are exclusively using these cards for this, you can keep this payment cycle going for a long time. After 3 months when the CB starts posting, and will continue rolling every 30 days, the dollars start rolling in. Can also switch whether you are earning CB or points depending on what you need at the time.

pstlb

Level 2 Member
Thanks, Dan123 and thepaul500. I've put together a plan so that my FICO increases for my next AOA end of September and I show about 3% utilization of my credit limit across 2 of my cards. Hopefully, a few good offers will be available then.:)