Fee free AGCs

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
There's no wording about it at Swagbucks, which offers 2x on certain dates in December (see my other post).

MarcusBWI

Level 2 Member
Aren't portal points forfieted when you use a code?
As I understand it, AmEx won't pay out to a portal if you use a discount code. But this is still a good approach to get cheap miles or cash back, or fulfill a signup bonus.

palmerlaw

Target "old Redbird" reloading very easy with them.
Good when CVS sells fee free in promos for 5x at drugstores if your Target is not labeled as a grocery (some are) instead of supermarket.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If they're personalized, just use them instead of your CC in regular MS purchases (e.g., VGC/MCGC)

I think s/he meant at the register, not online.
If hizzer was talking about loading Amex GCs (which is what I gleaned), then at the register you can't use gift cards to load Redbird. Cashiers are required to ask to see the card you are using to load, and their on-screen instructions tell them not to take GCs for loading.

madage

Level 2 Member
If hizzer was talking about loading Amex GCs (which is what I gleaned), then at the register you can't use gift cards to load Redbird. Cashiers are required to ask to see the card you are using to load, and their on-screen instructions tell them not to take GCs for loading.
That is generally taken to mean loading with Target GCs is not allowed. Tons of people are able to load their AFTs and Rebirds with AGCs. I haven't done it myself only because my Target is a grocery store per Visa.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
You certainly could be correct. But IME, the ones at my two closest stores are extremely careful abt ANY GCs.

Jeff C

Level 2 Member
That is generally taken to mean loading with Target GCs is not allowed. Tons of people are able to load their AFTs and Rebirds with AGCs. I haven't done it myself only because my Target is a grocery store per Visa.
I'm almost 100% certain the screen on the Target register says "Store" or "Target" GC not allowed for Redcard load - I've been loading AGC for a few weeks now without issue.

SeanPIT

Level 2 Member
I'm almost 100% certain the screen on the Target register says "Store" or "Target" GC not allowed for Redcard load - I've been loading AGC for a few weeks now without issue.
I've seen the same message. And I've loaded GCs before. Only once was I denied, and I just avoid that specific CSR.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Yes, the message on the screen does say Target or store gift cards can't be used, not just gift cards. I just loaded AGC to Redbird yesterday. I preemptively tell the cashier the last 4 digits of the card as soon as I signed on the pad to reduce the chance that they ask to see the card.

It helps, too, that they know me at the store now and know exactly what I'm doing, so they aren't suspicious of me.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
But if you buy them through a portal, the cost of the GC is much less than the cutback. Even at 1%, it's better than free.
Portals are nice with Arrival+ or Fidelity since it'll usually add up to 4%+ combined cash back and then loading into RedBird but if CVS/Wags has them for no fee, then OBC at 5% is certainly better to get AGCs there for RedBird.

Last edited:

fr33b13

Silver Member
Thanks for the answers everyone! It seems Target is the way everyone is unloading these AMEXes. Too bad I don't have access to a RedBird :(