F downgraded to J. Entitled to free cancellation?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Original itin: DFW-SCL F, SCL-MIA F. 125k RT or so. The DFW segment changed to a 787, which doesn't have F. No miles refunded due to return portion still in F. Minor time change. Would this be grounds for free cancellation? Was considering not going anyway. On the other hand, if I do decide to keep it, can I get something for the downgrade, or maybe ask them to open F on diff route?

This is on AA metal booked with AA miles.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Come the think of it, those bastards owe me (but never offered) the difference in pts between F and J on the downgraded route. When I made the post I forgot that a RT is simply the sum of 2 routes priced individually.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards this should be entitled to free cancellation.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
i'm curious of the outcome. have you tried arguing with them? I think you certainly have grounds to get a free cancellation, but it seems like a very YMMV/HUCA-type situation

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
i'm curious of the outcome. have you tried arguing with them? I think you certainly have grounds to get a free cancellation, but it seems like a very YMMV/HUCA-type situation
I agree, call. I think you have a good argument...

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Everyone is correct you are at least entitled to a miles and tax credit for the downgrade on the outbound.

DFW-SCL isn't worth a 25k premium to fly F, IMO. The difference between F and J is basically pajamas and soup on such a short flight.

If you are on the fence, I would cancel the ticket. You should be able to get paid J for less than the cash value of 100k miles, especially if you can nest it with a trip to Europe.

Last edited:

italdesign

Level 2 Member
EDIT - called again and got everything taken care of. Will update final resolution after travel...

Well another problem came up. My passport (and other things) was stolen in Santiago and I have to wait for the embassy to open on Monday to replace it, which will introduce a few days between the first segment (PUQ-SCL which was already flown) and the over water segment. AA supervisor insists on charging the new chart rate and charging it as two separate awards due to the "stopover". Problem was they could not simply change the ticket but had to reissue due to the "stopover". Doesn't seem very accomodating given the circumstance? I know they CAN reissue tickets without charging more but this suervisor refused to. I was too tired to fight so took the new rate. I'm planning to request the mileage difference via customer relation. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Was your passport stolen on a less-than-24-hour layover?

Be sure and get a copy of the police report or whatever documentation you can when filing the report that the passport was stolen. I don't know what AA will do when you call in, but it won't hurt to have some proof in hand if needed.