Extended Warranty/Price Protection on split CC transaction

Mancolt

Level 2 Member
Wondering if anyone's had any experience splitting a high dollar purchase (for example, TV) on 2 different cards. Since both cards offer an extended warranty and price protection, how do you know which one would be primary? Is it the one that gets the majority of the transaction value? What would happen if you split the charge 50/50?

I ask because I'm looking at a particular TV that's offered for almost $800 less on one online store than everywhere else. However, after enough Googling, it sounds like this store is notorious for bait and switch and other unsavory tactics that lead to you not getting the TV you thought. But never having used price protection or extended warranties, I don't know how they'll work, and like the idea of doubling my chances of successfully redeeming an extended warranty claim or price protection. IE: If I split it between Discover and AmEx, and I submit the price protection claim on AmEx but they deny it because the website isn't a "legitimate" website in their eyes, I would still have the chance to submit it to Discover, or vice versa.

I realize you could potentially double dip and submit it to both. I don't want to get into a discussion about the ethics there. I'm asking purely from the standpoint of having a backup to increase the likelihood of submitting one price match successfully. I am pretty sure the CC issuers state in the terms that it can't have been price matched any other way (by the store for instance), which I would assume includes any other CC issuer's price match as well.

Mancolt

Level 2 Member
I just realized AmEx doesn't offer price protection. So let's say it's Citi & Discover instead.

baffld

Level 2 Member
From what I've seen, you'd be protected to the extent you put on the particular credit card. So, if you split 50/50, each card would cover half. Perhaps someone else will have other knowledge/experience?

Mancolt

Level 2 Member
From what I've seen, you'd be protected to the extent you put on the particular credit card. So, if you split 50/50, each card would cover half. Perhaps someone else will have other knowledge/experience?
That's interesting, I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. I read that section to be that you are covered only up to the amount you put on the card. IE: If I only put $50 on one card, but the price match was a $500 difference, I would only receive up to $50 if matched.

baffld

Level 2 Member
That's interesting, I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. I read that section to be that you are covered only up to the amount you put on the card. IE: If I only put $50 on one card, but the price match was a $500 difference, I would only receive up to $50 if matched.
Oh, I'm sorry to be unclear, I meant my understanding is the extended warranty coverage only goes as far as what you charged on a particular card if you split the payment. So, if it broke beyond the manufacturer's warranty but within the credit card extension, each of the two cards would cover only the portion charged to that card.

I don't know how a price match would/could be handled with a split payment. Interesting.

Last edited:

tree100

I've never put different amounts on different cards, but I know that American Express will only refund up to the original amount put on the card. I've filed claims for items purchased (cell phone) that had a reduced cost with 24 month contract, and when the phone broke AMEX covered only the amount charged to the card. They would not cover up to the replacement cost of the phone.

In any case, this information should also be specifically spelled out in the terms and conditions of each card (and sometimes different terms depending on your state, too).