Blog Post Exploring the Big Island of Hawaii with Kids

K

Kirsten

We spent a glorious 8 nights on the Island of Hawaii in July of 2014. It was the 4th Hawaiian island we have visited (after Maui, Kauai, and Oahu), having visited those other 3 in summer of 2012. We fell in love with Hawaii during that month-long trip in 2012, and we had been planning to return since the day we left. We wanted to visit the Big Island because it hadn’t been on our itinerary the last time.

We really loved our time exploring the Big Island of Hawaii with kids. We flew into and out of the Kona airport, and had a rental car the whole time (a necessity). We saw almost every part of the island as we drove around and visited different sites. Of course, there is so much to see and do that we did not do everything, but the following were our experiences and the things that we did. I am sure we will be back some day to enjoy more that the Big Island has to offer.

Exploring the Big Island of Hawaii with Kids

1. Waipio Valley Lookout & Delicious Malasadas

We drove to the Waipio Valley Lookout, which is located on the northern Hamakua coast of the Big Island. It was a detour that we decided to take as we spent a good part of the day doing a “road trip” from our hotel on the Kohala Coast (The Hilton Waikoloa Village) to the treehouse we were staying in near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. There is a long hike you can take to get into the valley, and you can also pay for a tour. The descent is so steep that you cannot drive your vehicle into the valley. We didn’t go down into the valley, but just checked out the view from the lookout above. It was beautiful and worth the detour. You park at the top and walk down a steep (but not too difficult) walkway down to the overlook.

Walkway to the Waipio Valley Lookout

Very close to the road that takes you to the Waipio Valley in Honokaa, there is a place that sells the most delicious malasadas. The Tex Drive In is reportedly world famous for their malasadas, which are kind of like a jelly donut, but way better. For research purposes (you’re welcome) we went through the drive through and ordered one of each flavor. The kids liked the chocolate and vanilla (which were pretty much pudding) the best. I liked the mango and apple.

Malasadas in every flavor from Tex Drive In on the Big Island

2. Akaka Falls State Park

A ten year old boy’s idea of humor

Also along our drive along the Hamakua Coast was Akaka Falls. We took the longer hike to the lookout, which took us through a gorgeous rainforest full of all kinds of plants and flowers. The hike was easy for us, but there are steps and some steeper areas, so be aware of that. We loved this stop. The waterfall was beautiful, but the whole walk to get to it was just as interesting.

On the hike to Akaka Falls on the Big Island

Akaka Falls, Big Island of Hawaii

3. Pu’uhonua O Honaunau – National Historical Park

One of the things that I love the most about Hawaii is the interesting cultural background and how the historical sites are so accessible. I like to read historical fiction, especially books written by James Michener. One of his books that I loved the most was Hawaii. His (sometimes overly) descriptive style makes his books come to life, and that is especially true once you are visiting a place he has written about. His book helped me visualize ancient Hawaii so thoroughly that I felt like I could just imagine what was happening in the past at some of the sites we visited.

Pu’uhonua O Honaunau is one such historical site where it is possible to really feel the history come alive. There are recreated features on a land of amazing historical significance. The kids participated in the Junior Ranger program, as they always begrudgingly do, and earned their badges. I ended up learning a ton while we were doing their Junior Ranger booklets, which usually ends up happening. It is located in South Kona, and we visited on a day that we spent exploring the area as a day trip from our hotel on the Kohala Coast.

From the Park Service website (they said it better than I would have):

In old Hawaii, if you had broken a law, the penalty was death. Perhaps you had entered into an area that was reserved for only the chiefs, or had eaten forbidden foods. Laws, or kapu, governed every aspect of Hawaiian society. The penalty for breaking these laws was certain death. Your only option for survival is to elude your pursuers and reach the nearest puuhonua, or place of refuge.

As you enter, the great wall rises up before you marking the boundaries between the royal grounds and the sanctuary. Many ki’i (carved wooden images) surround the Hale o Keawe, housing the bones of the chiefs that infuse the area with their power or mana. If you reached this sacred place, you would be saved.

Today, you may visit Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, and still feel the spirit of peace and forgiveness that continues to surround and bless this special place.

4. Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park

Another historical site with a gorgeous view is Kealakekua Bay, which is 12 miles south of the town of Kailua-Kona. We made a quick stop to check it out as we were driving the south Kona coast. There is an ancient heiau (temple) here, and you can also see the monument to Captain James Cook across the bay (he was killed in Hawaii).

Kealakekua Bay, Big Island, Hawaii

5. Kona Coffee Tour – Greenwell Farms

There are tons of coffee farms in the Kona area of the Big Island. At home, Kona coffee is always the most expensive at the store. I hadn’t really tried it before visiting Hawaii. As a daily coffee drinker, I can say that it really is delicious. As a person who cares about saving money, I would never normally spend $20+ a pound for coffee. We got the recommendation from our hotel concierge to take the tour at Greenwell Farms (there were lots of different choices), and it was a great suggestion. It was free, and the kids put up with it & maybe learned something too. We adults really enjoyed it & learned a ton. We had no idea how coffee got from a tree into a cup, so this was a great learning experience for us. It also made us understand why Kona coffee is special and expensive (for one thing, it is picked by hand).

These are the coffee “cherries” growing on the tree….who knew?!?!

Kona coffee trees at Greenwell Farms

Our first time seeing a chameleon in the wild!

6. Waimea Town (aka Kamuela) & Hawi

We spent part of one day driving around the North Kohala area to Waimea and Hawi. We had pancakes the size of our heads at the Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea, and had some delicious Tropical Dreams ice cream at the little coffee shop/cafe in the cute little town of Hawi.

The Hawaiian Cowboy country – Waimea

The terrain on this part of the island is very different than other parts (and other places on the Hawaiian islands). It looks more like certain places in California or even Virginia than it does Hawaii. Until you hit the coast & see the ocean (and Maui off in the distance).

7. Snorkeling

We (the adults) really love snorkeling, and the Big Island did not disappoint for some amazing snorkeling sights. When traveling with the kids, things are not quite as easy as they are when it’s just adults (or when we have others there to watch the kids). The kids did snorkel a bunch, but we couldn’t always go as far out & they tired out more easily than we do. However, they were very brave for our most jaw dropping spot of all – right in Honaunau next to Pu’uhonua O Honaunau (see above). The water was rough & we had to start from rocks into pretty deep water, but we were rewarded with the most stunning coral I’ve seen (and the fish were awesome too).

There are tons of places to snorkel on the Big Island (the others we did were right from the beaches). We were even able to snorkel and swim with sea turtles right in the lagoon at our hotel (Hilton Waikoloa Village).

8. Beaches

This one warrants a post of it’s own, and when I am finished with that I will link to it here. We loved exploring different beaches on the Big Island, and they were some of the best we have ever been to. Especially Hapuna and Mauna Kea (tip: get there early because only 40 parking spots are public access).

9. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park at night

This also deserves a separate post which I am writing and will link to. We visited the park for 2 days, and it really was amazing. We did a great hike across the lava field, and also visited at night when the active lava eruption was visible. We were staying in a treehouse in Volcano, which was very close to the park, so were able to spend lots of time there.

10. Enoying the hotel pool & watching the sunset

View of the lagoon at the Hilton Waikoloa Village

This tends to be one of the favorite activities for my kids no matter where we go. They tend to make lots of friends at the hotel pools, and it is hard to get them out of there. At the Hilton Waikoloa Village, we had a nightly ritual of swimming until just before sunset & then going up on the hill right next to the pool to watch the sunset. It was a win/win for us all. Because it is Hawaii, most of the resorts and hotels will have great pool areas. We have had great experiences with all of the pool facilities at all of the Hawaii hotels where we have stayed.

Big Island sunset…..when can I go back????

Continue reading...