European ETFs – Hedged vs Unhedged

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
As I continue to realign my portfolio, the next investment I will be focusing on is international exposure. I have decided that I want to be more focused in Europe and will do so via an ETF strategy. The overall weight of my portfolio will remain in US equities at this time, so I am just fine tuning the allocation that is assigned international equities.

As most will know, an ETF offers the opportunity to invest in a broadly diversified manner. And for this reason I favor them at this point in my own wealth generation timeline. There are two reasons that I like Europe:

A weak Euro

The Euro has dropped dramatically against the USD in the past 12 months. I see this as a buying opportunity.

An Emerging business cycle

If we compare the US business cycle since the 2008 financial crisis, the markets have been very bullish. We are already at a point in time where historically things have declined in terms of business cycle. While I do not anticipate a sharp contraction, I could see things becoming a little flat for the next 1-3 years. Europe, on the other hand, is still fighting hard to get their economy moving, with a rate of almost zero.

To hedge or not to hedge?

When you invest internationally currency risk becomes a factor. Regardless of how the underlying equities within such an investment should perform, you absolute return is pegged to the foreign exchange rates between your currency and the country involved.

A hedged ETF addresses currency risk

If you invest in a hedged ETF it will have currency risk strategies built into it. This means that the performance of the ETF will somewhat match the local returns, regardless of change in rates between the two countries. The downside of this is that hedging does create additional expense ratios. A good example of a hedged ETF is HEDJ, from WisdomTree, which seeks to track the WisdomTree Hedged European Index. Here’s a breakdown of the investments via country

Country exposure from HEDJ

Note, that while this does appear to reflect diversification by country, the companies within these geographies tend to be major multinationals that have global revenue streams, and this does impact correlation.

An unhedged ETF does not offer the same protection for currency

With unhedged investing you are investing in a 2 dimensional risk model. You have the potential for gains and losses on the companies within the ETF and additionally gains and losses on the currency.

This chart is a great way to see how the impact of the declining Euro impacted the returns of an unhedged ETF, I selected Vanguards VGK for this comparison . As you can see, very similar funds performed in very different ways because one (VGK) was dragged down by the Euro whereas one (HEDJ)was hedged against that.

What do you think?

Would you invest in Europe now, or focus on the US market? If you do decide to invest overseas, would you seek to hedge that currency risk, or add it in as an additional upside potential?

The post European ETFs – Hedged vs Unhedged appeared first on Saverocity Finance.

Continue reading...

VDebs

Level 2 Member
It depends on what kind of ETF you're buying. Vanilla index funds are ok, but the more complex and arcane can be risky. The issue I've always had with ETFs, and why I only invest in the most vanilla, is that they're chock-full of counter-party risk. Not such a big deal when things are running smooth, but it can go real pear shaped whenever you spot tail risk. The more international and synthetic you get, the more contracts are tied up within contracts with other contracts. I remember my father getting enamored with a Gold ETF one day and I had to disabuse him of that silliness. "Dad you're not taking possession of bullion and neither are these jokers, they just own claims, or more likely, contracts which hold claims on contracts that mimic price movements in gold."

So it really depends here on the construction of the ETF and what its supposedly tracking. That's especially important if you want to play in the Euro , which may muddle along for another 3 years as you suggest. But what if it doesn't? Grexit is looking more likely and that spells contagion. Think of all the counter-party risk you're in for when the contracts of contracts that hold those ETFs are suddenly indexed to a currency that may not exist, or may materially look so different that parties aren't honoring claims? Now even if we think this unlikely, is it that unlikely?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on what kind of ETF you're buying. Vanilla index funds are ok, but the more complex and arcane can be risky. The issue I've always had with ETFs, and why I only invest in the most vanilla, is that they're chock-full of counter-party risk. Not such a big deal when things are running smooth, but it can go real pear shaped whenever you spot tail risk. The more international and synthetic you get, the more contracts are tied up within contracts with other contracts. I remember my father getting enamored with a Gold ETF one day and I had to disabuse him of that silliness. "Dad you're not taking possession of bullion and neither are these jokers, they just own claims, or more likely, contracts which hold claims on contracts that mimic price movements in gold."

So it really depends here on the construction of the ETF and what its supposedly tracking. That's especially important if you want to play in the Euro , which may muddle along for another 3 years as you suggest. But what if it doesn't? Grexit is looking more likely and that spells contagion. Think of all the counter-party risk you're in for when the contracts of contracts that hold those ETFs are suddenly indexed to a currency that may not exist, or may materially look so different that parties aren't honoring claims? Now even if we think this unlikely, is it that unlikely?
Good points. Personally, I'd be happy with a Greek exit. The holdings here seem quite favorable to that https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsAllHoldings?FundId=0963&FundIntExt=INT&tableName=Equity&tableIndex=0&sort=marketValue&sortOrder=desc

I too tend to avoid too many 'wacky' ETFs and think there is a trend in building them to prey on those who are told that all ETFs are great (the muddling of the truth that vanilla ones really are)

VDebs

Level 2 Member
Good points. Personally, I'd be happy with a Greek exit. The holdings here seem quite favorable to that https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsAllHoldings?FundId=0963&FundIntExt=INT&tableName=Equity&tableIndex=0&sort=marketValue&sortOrder=desc

I too tend to avoid too many 'wacky' ETFs and think there is a trend in building them to prey on those who are told that all ETFs are great (the muddling of the truth that vanilla ones really are)
Yeah FTSE index funds are probs pretty safe and Vanguard is great. I'm sure the expense ratio is real low too, like all Vanguards. I would probably buy this at another time, but I'm more pessimistic than you about Europe. It's not so much just Grexit, but the confluence of Grexit, Euro deflation, and what is looking like (if you interrogate the numbers) something very close to a recession in China. I'm quite concerned that contagion + Chinese middle income trap will cause a negative feedback loop in Europe, especially since Germany's exports depend a lot on selling capital equipment to BRICs and of those, only India looks healthy atm.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah FTSE index funds are probs pretty safe and Vanguard is great. I'm sure the expense ratio is real low too, like all Vanguards. I would probably buy this at another time, but I'm more pessimistic than you about Europe. It's not so much just Grexit, but the confluence of Grexit, Euro deflation, and what is looking like (if you interrogate the numbers) something very close to a recession in China. I'm quite concerned that contagion + Chinese middle income trap will cause a negative feedback loop in Europe, especially since Germany's exports depend a lot on selling capital equipment to BRICs and of those, only India looks healthy atm.
Interesting Vid, have it on in the background now. Personally I don't have 'that much' exposure to this ETF. As a percentage of portfolio it is quite marginal, just offering a little diversification.

VDebs

Level 2 Member
Interesting Vid, have it on in the background now. Personally I don't have 'that much' exposure to this ETF. As a percentage of portfolio it is quite marginal, just offering a little diversification.
Then I wouldn't worry too much. For more in that vein, I'd also look at getting some emerging markets exposure with some index funds for Africa, Southeast Asia, South America, India especially.