Eurail Question

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
End of 12/15 to early 1/16, the wife and I will be flying in/out of Paris CDG and also going to Brussels and Amsterdam. That's two 'countries' (Benelux counts for one) and three train days. Seems like the best bet is buying individual route tickets. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
End of 12/15 to early 1/16, the wife and I will be flying in/out of Paris CDG and also going to Brussels and Amsterdam. That's two 'countries' (Benelux counts for one) and three train days. Seems like the best bet is buying individual route tickets. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I would seriously consider buying train tix as soon as your plans are firm. They all sell cheapest seats first and waiting can mean paying multiples more.

For the best info on train travel in Europe (or just about anywhere), go here:

http://www.seat61.com/

Also, remember that there is a SNCF train station at CDG so if you're just going into the city to catch a train, you can likely save several hours, some money and a bunch of hassles by catching the train at the airport.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
And buy them on the SNCF.com site, NOT on RailEurope as the price is going to be much, much lower.
A vital point I am embarrassed to have left out. It is almost always better to use any rail line's direct site rather than Rail Europe.

Seat 61 offers links to purchase sites he says are lowest or in some cases, just easier to use (eg. Italy). About a year ago, he started offering an affiliate link, and I do not know how that compares.

smittytabb

Staff member
A vital point I am embarrassed to have left out. It is almost always better to use any rail line's direct site rather than Rail Europe.

Seat 61 offers links to purchase sites he says are lowest or in some cases, just easier to use (eg. Italy). About a year ago, he started offering an affiliate link, and I do not know how that compares.
And indeed it is important to recognize because a lot of the European train sites will automatically bump you to RailEurope if you are in the U.S. even when you are trying to use the European site. Often not using English helps with this. If you cannot negotiate the site in that language, seat 61 has some great advice on what to do. Even if you do speak the language, he has a lot of good tips such as what the train categories mean, etc. I used his site when I was trying to figure out categories when I was booking on Renfe for trains in Spain last year. I speak Spanish, but didn't know the train jargon particular to Spain. Great site.

May

Does anyone have an idea on how hard is it to travel with skis and luggage to Chamonix and what is the best airport to fly into. I will be traveling with my son and husband. As we speak now I am trying to amass enough AA points to do this Feb 2016. Am I better off renting a car.