Espresso Capsules

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
After trying Nespresso at a couple hotels we stayed at last year I was impressed.
I got one for Christmas and really enjoy the coffee.
But of course the capsule costs are a grind after a while.

Nespresso seems to have the market buttoned up pretty tight on these.
They only sell them in the US, as far as I can tell, directly through their website and at Bloomingdale's boutiques.
I don't know whether Bloomingdale's GCs can be used at these boutiques - can they?
I know I can't buy them online from Bloomingdale's.

Nespresso doesn't seem to play in any online portals.
And their GCs aren't traded in any of the resellers listed on Gift Card Granny.

They sell on Amazon but they seem even more expensive than what Nespresso sells them for.

I'd like to avoid the gray market and refill approaches for now.

I hear they're cheaper in Europe but really - how many would I practically like to buy/import while on vacation?

So I'm at a loss on how to optimize this purchase.
For now I'm paying full retail and enjoying their easy to use website with fast free delivery (like same-day fast in some cases).
So in a sense using it towards meeting min spends, or with some 5x everywhere approach, or 2.2% back.

Any tips and tricks for Nespresso or other brands like Illy that others might be looking for as well?

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
For the Bloomie's boutiques, how does that work? Is it a Nespresso store in a Bloomies store?

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to use a discounted Bloomie's GC there because of what I know from how Macy's is set up

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
For the Bloomie's boutiques, how does that work? Is it a Nespresso store in a Bloomies store?

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to use a discounted Bloomie's GC there because of what I know from how Macy's is set up
I'm trying to remember when I worked downtown, there was a store that had a boutique in it just up from Chinatown into Soho.. I think that was a Bloomie and Nespresso Combo??

VRHunter

Level 2 Member

I just called Nespresso and asked whether a Bloomingdale's GC could be used within their Nespresso boutiques and was told "no, has to be a Nespresso GC".
The guy seemed to know what I was talking about and was pretty confident in his answer, for whatever that's worth.
Might be worth a shot, but I really think the Nespresso boutqiues are wholly-owned Nespresso entities within Bloomingdale's with separate registers.

I'm surprised Nespresso GCs aren't resold in the open market.

Last edited:

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to remember when I worked downtown, there was a store that had a boutique in it just up from Chinatown into Soho.. I think that was a Bloomie and Nespresso Combo??
I never went into it, but I know exactly where it is , it was a small Bloomies on Broadway.

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
make sure to recycle your capsules... they make park benches and playground equipment in the countries they harvest beans from... much better than keurig bastards.

as far as sale price... it is what it is. I pay it for the convenience, less so recently however.

SSgrant

Level 2 Member
You mentioned avoiding the alternate brands of capsules, but they are a good bit cheaper.

I've personally tried the Hiline and the Gourmesso. Gourmesso is the cheapest of the bunch. I just don't like the Gourmesso at all. Why? I don't even know. They just aren't as good. HiLine is pretty good tho. They seem comparable to the Nespresso capsules and they are cheaper. They have a smaller variety tho.

If you do venture into the alternate brands I'd give HiLine a try.

MilesAbound

Level 2 Member
I've been drinking Nespresso for at least 15 years now. I would never dream of using anything else they are far and away the best taste / quality / convenience balance you can get in coffee for the home. I have not looked hard for any discounts I just keep sending full price to our friends at Nespresso lol.

@SSgrant - I did try HiLine once and was not impressed. The coffee tasted over-roasted for my taste and I found the capsules leaked I had coffee all over the place. The savings were minimal so ever since then I pretty much vowed not to bother with any other third party products again

Judge

Level 2 Member
No Bloomingdale's GCs at the boutiques. No discount on capsules when you use the CC, just on machines.

Every once in a awhile they have a $15 off $75 in store promo. It's once per account and the line grows very long, like 45 minute wait long. Other than that, no discounts. Sometimes at the holidays they'll do a buy 200 capsules get a free accessory deal. I always do that.

Hiline is not as good. I tried them once and I won't do it again. No 3rd party capsules.

SJCRussell

Level 2 Member
Some Macy's also have the Nespresso stalls in-store and they have also come to some Targets, though only the rounded pods and not the small size used in Citiz machines.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've been drinking Nespresso for at least 15 years now. I would never dream of using anything else they are far and away the best taste / quality / convenience balance you can get in coffee for the home. I have not looked hard for any discounts I just keep sending full price to our friends at Nespresso lol.

@SSgrant - I did try HiLine once and was not impressed. The coffee tasted over-roasted for my taste and I found the capsules leaked I had coffee all over the place. The savings were minimal so ever since then I pretty much vowed not to bother with any other third party products again
Illy is totally better.

Made_by_Hugo

Level 2 Member
FYI buying from Europe doesn't save you much - capsules cost about the same (I check it every year... even with the dollar up doesn't make sense).

The only advantage is that Nespresso sells flavours in Europe that it does not sell in the US (sometimes testing them there first before going global) and many of their country stores have a loyalty program. Unfortunately it's ran country by country so you'd have to choose a favourite country to return to every time!

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
So, I checked prices at a Nespresso boutique in Paris yesterday.
They're roughly 42% cheaper in Paris than in the US.

For example, Vivalto Lungo pods are 0.37 euro vs $0.70 USD.
At a 1.09 exchange rate that's $0.40 vs $0.70, a savings of 42.8%.

Trying to think how much I can comfortably bring back with me.
Talk about a reselling opportunity! ;)

HSK

Level 2 Member
I can also confirm that nespresso boutiques inside Bloomingdales don't take Bloomingdales giftcard.

Question for you - is vertuoline coffee pods also available in Paris?

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I can also confirm that nespresso boutiques inside Bloomingdales don't take Bloomingdales giftcard.

Question for you - is vertuoline coffee pods also available in Paris?
I think so. I'll check when I go back to buy some capsules tomorrow. Is there a particular flavor you'd like a price check on? :)

I took a picture in the store yesterday and was quickly informed they have a no photo policy. Probably don't want any Saverocity arbitrage types setting up export/import businesses. ;)

SJCRussell

Level 2 Member
I think so. I'll check when I go back to buy some capsules tomorrow. Is there a particular flavor you'd like a price check on? :)

I took a picture in the store yesterday and was quickly informed they have a no photo policy. Probably don't want any Saverocity arbitrage types setting up export/import businesses. ;)
Might want to see if Amazon will allow you to resell nespresso - if so a large case, as extra baggage (I assume you're traveling F or J so have free allowance) .....

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
Might want to see if Amazon will allow you to resell nespresso - if so a large case, as extra baggage (I assume you're traveling F or J so have free allowance) .....
I'm not serious about reselling. Yeah - I learned from the Saverocity Ovservation Deck podcast that grocery is a gated item for resale on Amazon.

I'll probably just buy like 20 sleeves and use future purchase needs as justification for a return trip to Paris. This city is amazing and has exceeded expectations.

HSK

Level 2 Member
Vertuoline Melozio please. My understanding is that vertuoline is sold only in the US so I never considered stopping by nespresso in Paris. Thanks for helping out with the research!

If you're buying a lot of pods, ask for pods with longest expiry. I bought a bunch here and it expired before I could finish - even with daily consumption.

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
Just back from the Nespresso boutique. I bought 400 capsules since that was all I could comfortably fit in my luggage. And good tip about the expiration date - wouldn't want to buy more than I could naturally enjoy over the next 6 months or so.

I checked and unfortunately they do NOT have to Vertuoline capsules. Sorry about that.

They did seem fine with bulk purchases though. I had a little bit of a language barrier - the girl thought I wanted 3,000 capsules rather than 300 and it didn't phase her. I think there's an opportunity here for a Saverocity coffee club and/or reselling opp for those really ambitious.

For me, I'll use the "savings" to offset British Airways fuel surcharges. And incentive for a return visit.

HSK

Level 2 Member
Just back from the Nespresso boutique. I bought 400 capsules since that was all I could comfortably fit in my luggage. And good tip about the expiration date - wouldn't want to buy more than I could naturally enjoy over the next 6 months or so.

I checked and unfortunately they do NOT have to Vertuoline capsules. Sorry about that.

They did seem fine with bulk purchases though. I had a little bit of a language barrier - the girl thought I wanted 3,000 capsules rather than 300 and it didn't phase her. I think there's an opportunity here for a Saverocity coffee club and/or reselling opp for those really ambitious.

For me, I'll use the "savings" to offset British Airways fuel surcharges. And incentive for a return visit.
Thanks all the same!

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
Back from Paris with my Nespresso capsules intact. Just a couple other things to mention...

I noticed they had accessories for less as well. Like the Aeroccino 3 for example for 70 euros (compare at $99 in the US).
I skipped that because of electrical plug differences.

And on the subject of running an export business, looks like flight crews are actually doing this already. Clever name!
Code:
http://www.grandcruzproduction.com/product/nespresso-capsules/

Mountainmanduy

Level 2 Member
I kind of wish I went to the Nespresso in Paris. However, it looked as expensive as L. Vutton. So I hung out in my hotel and drank their Nespresso.

SearchGuyD

Level 2 Member
Did any of you consider Nespresso in Canada? price are almost identical and currency is at 75%... And yes, you get there Vertuoline too!
If you wanna order, I'll add this, it must be shipped and billed to a Canadian address, the real billing address must be in Canada, otherwise the Nespresso system will deny the charge even though the Credit Card company approved it

SJCRussell

Level 2 Member
I love the idea, but they are more expensive than direct 89c vs. 70c

Back from Paris with my Nespresso capsules intact. Just a couple other things to mention...

I noticed they had accessories for less as well. Like the Aeroccino 3 for example for 70 euros (compare at $99 in the US).
I skipped that because of electrical plug differences.

And on the subject of running an export business, looks like flight crews are actually doing this already. Clever name!
Code:
http://www.grandcruzproduction.com/product/nespresso-capsules/

Disc Golf Guy

Level 2 Member
I love my Nespresso as well. Nespresso usually runs a promo in December where you get credit for the Nespresso Club when purchasing a new machine. By buying several machines, claiming the credit, and then reselling the machines, I have managed to accumulate a hefty amount of Nespresso club credit.