EPIC SALE OF YEAR: Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (7/18 to 8/3)

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
nordstrom.jpg
This is the "epic sale" of the year, which begins on Friday, July 18th. Expect mad crowds!

As you know, Nordstrom rarely has sales for the "newest" and latest trendy designer fashions. Even though it's the summer and most of their offerings are for fall / winter, the savings add up.

EDIT (07.18.14): I'll admit this year's offerings were a bit of a downer. But there are still lots of good bargains. Prices seem somewhat higher than last year.

FWIW: Westin Heavenly Beds are 25% off during the anniversary sale

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Do you happen to know if this extends to the outlets? We don't have a nordstrom up in my new 'hood but there are some outlets nearby...

Haley

I am not a robot
I'm pretty sure no, Matt. Sorry.
This and the Men's Sale were much looked forward to when we lived in Nordstrom land. We have one in Austin but it is way far South (by Austin standards, which means about 20-25 minutes away).

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
You can order items online!!! Free Shipping & Free Returns.

In addition, if an item was OOS at a a particular store, the nice and friendly Nordstrom employee would look up the inventory to find other stores (across the country) to locate the item. Free Shipping to home!!! You can call up any Nordstrom store....

I had a Diesel jacket shipped cross country (saved $100!)

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Oh well... never mind, I bought a crappy shirt and jacket from Macy's instead. Hate mall shopping but I put all my fancy clothes into storage and now I need to get all fancy!

PS - I wouldn't buy Boss, or other off the peg suits, I used to do that and they looked like crap compared to tailor made. I had all mine made when in Tokyo, but NY prices can be comparable and you will get a much better item for $500 when it is tailored to your body.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Oh well... never mind, I bought a crappy shirt and jacket from Macy's instead. Hate mall shopping but I put all my fancy clothes into storage and now I need to get all fancy!

PS - I wouldn't buy Boss, or other off the peg suits, I used to do that and they looked like crap compared to tailor made. I had all mine made when in Tokyo, but NY prices can be comparable and you will get a much better item for $500 when it is tailored to your body.
Thoughts on Ted Baker or John Varvatos suits? FYI - Nordstroms offers free tailoring onsite for any suits you buy (not that this is the same as buying a tailor made suit).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thoughts on Ted Baker or John Varvatos suits? FYI - Nordstroms offers free tailoring onsite for any suits you buy (not that this is the same as buying a tailor made suit).
Nothing off the peg for me. The crazy thing is you can get the cloth at a good tailor, I remember when I was having mine made we could select from all the top designers, but it would be just yards of cloth rather than pre fab option.

wheater

Level 2 Member
If you need shoes, I suggest checking out the sale. You can usually find a good deal on Allen Edmonds.

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Nothing off the peg for me. The crazy thing is you can get the cloth at a good tailor, I remember when I was having mine made we could select from all the top designers, but it would be just yards of cloth rather than pre fab option.
Damn, I don't get out enough. :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If you need shoes, I suggest checking out the sale. You can usually find a good deal on Allen Edmonds.
I actually do need shoes - i'll look... but my last pair of AE didn't fit right and crippled me :( They looked great though (a tan 5th avenue)

I'll give you a cheaper way of acquiring suits. This is good.
Fly to Hongkong. HK is brimming with shops that sew custom made suits for you from high quality material. Here's an article from Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/04/29/the-worlds-most-famous-tailor-at-prices-you-cant-miss/

A $1000 suit at Nordstrom would cost you $200-300 in HK. Flying to HK, buying a couple of suits and bringing them back would probably be cheaper than buying here at Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers. As most of you are experts on earning miles, fly away to HK for that next trip.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'll give you a cheaper way of acquiring suits. This is good.
Fly to Hongkong. HK is brimming with shops that sew custom made suits for you from high quality material. Here's an article from Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/04/29/the-worlds-most-famous-tailor-at-prices-you-cant-miss/

A $1000 suit at Nordstrom would cost you $200-300 in HK. Flying to HK, buying a couple of suits and bringing them back would probably be cheaper than buying here at Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers. As most of you are experts on earning miles, fly away to HK for that next trip.
The problem is that it's harder to fix out of country. In Japan I was a resident, they measured me and I think sent to china for construction - but then I came back for a fitting and adjustment which could happen as many times as I wanted. However when I vacationed in Vietnam I wouldn't get a suit because of the time pressure to leave with a product... Same notion with HK for me.

There are some US companies now like Mysuit that go for about $500 that might be worth a look.

And I'm sorry for going off thread too!!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
The problem is that it's harder to fix out of country. In Japan I was a resident, they measured me and I think sent to china for construction - but then I came back for a fitting and adjustment which could happen as many times as I wanted. However when I vacationed in Vietnam I wouldn't get a suit because of the time pressure to leave with a product... Same notion with HK for me.

There are some US companies now like Mysuit that go for about $500 that might be worth a look.

And I'm sorry for going off thread too!!
OT: but nice break from MS talk...what do fellas think of Bonobos? (Nordstrom led an investment initiative to help build a physical presence for Bonobos)

Sunny

Level 2 Member
My favorite time of the year! I have been anticipating this sale for a few weeks now and shopped last week when it opened up to cardholders.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
1. What the heck does that have to do with a SALE? (almost afraid to ask LOL)
2. Best if one's ethics count for little, isn't the same as best.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Others: please don't do this. 1) TCB cashback seems similar to the ebates scheme that made headlines a couple of years ago. 2) Don't abuse Nordstrom's return policy -- they along with Costco have the best and generous return policies. Costco implemented changes to their policies for electronics (AKA "free TV upgrade") because of return abuse.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Others: please don't do this. 1) TCB cashback seems similar to the ebates scheme that made headlines a couple of years ago. 2) Don't abuse Nordstrom's return policy -- they along with Costco have the best and generous return policies. Costco implemented changes to their policies for electronics (AKA "free TV upgrade") because of return abuse.
Nordstrom has tightened up in the last 2 years. Can no longer double-dip with gift cards as before. There are still ways to game the return policy--but it takes a couple of extra steps, and YMMV.

Personally, I have no ethical problem whatsoever gaming Nordstrom or any other high-end department store chain that distributes nearly all the gains to the private equity guys that own them. Costco is another matter entirely, since they treat their font line employees very well and still have very good lowest paid/highest paid ratios.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Nordstrom has tightened up in the last 2 years. Can no longer double-dip with gift cards as before. There are still ways to game the return policy--but it takes a couple of extra steps, and YMMV.

Personally, I have no ethical problem whatsoever gaming Nordstrom or any other high-end department store chain that distributes nearly all the gains to the private equity guys that own them. Costco is another matter entirely, since they treat their font line employees very well and still have very good lowest paid/highest paid ratios.
And not all of the high end department store chains are controlled by private equity, but those that are not have essentially copied the model. Nordstrom is not the same as a few years ago.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member

When I say can't double dip with GC, I mean directly with Nordstrom via a portal. You can, of course double dip with GC bought from office supply stores with Ink. Nothing on the TCB portal @ 16% said that GC were verboten. Took a flyer and bought a few only to have cash back disallowed.

WalletSlot

Do you happen to know if this extends to the outlets? We don't have a nordstrom up in my new 'hood but there are some outlets nearby...
If you have the Nordstrom Debit or Credit Card, you can get early access online to the deals too. We used our Debit Card to preview the Tumi items...no Intercontinental bag to be had.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
However when I vacationed in Vietnam I wouldn't get a suit because of the time pressure to leave with a product... Same notion with HK for me.
Try having clothes made in Beijing instead. Suits may take longer, but we were able to have shirts and trousers made overnight. Alterations were made immediately after a fitting and my son left with some really nice clothes. And he is very particular! Too bad he was just 20 and not yet fully grown because they were very fine and outlasted him!

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
Maybe this is a big secret and I'm going to get shunned for sharing, or maybe this is already well known, and i'm just totally out if the loop, but just last May I discovered, completely unintentionally, a little "trick" from Nordys.

I bought a Nordstrom's GC from an office supply store, I don't remember which, last May and ordered a dress from Nordstrom online. I went through a shopping portal first and received all the points, etc. Oh, I had to pay like ~$5 on my own CC because my gc didn't have quite enough money on it to cover the cost. Anyway, the dress was for a wedding and at the last minute my SIL decided she wanted me to wear a different dress. I was in a big city with a Nordys so I decided to just take it in to return in rather than mail it back. Anyway, when I got there, the cashier asked me if I wanted the refund put back on my gc or cc! I was like, "ugh....I bought it with a gc so doesn't it have to go back on there?" "Nope!" he replied and then refunded the entire purchase to my cc!

I checked several weeks later and my points were never reversed from the shopping portal and my money was successfully refunded to my cc and I wasn't stuck with a nordstrom gc is would never use!

Anyway, I haven't ever tried this again because I personally feel like there are too many risks and that it is also tickling the line of being unethical, in my opinion, but I figured I would share anyway.

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
Maybe this is a big secret and I'm going to get shunned for sharing, or maybe this is already well known, and i'm just totally out if the loop, but just last May I discovered, completely unintentionally, a little "trick" from Nordys.

I bought a Nordstrom's GC from an office supply store, I don't remember which, last May and ordered a dress from Nordstrom online. I went through a shopping portal first and received all the points, etc. Oh, I had to pay like ~$5 on my own CC because my gc didn't have quite enough money on it to cover the cost. Anyway, the dress was for a wedding and at the last minute my SIL decided she wanted me to wear a different dress. I was in a big city with a Nordys so I decided to just take it in to return in rather than mail it back. Anyway, when I got there, the cashier asked me if I wanted the refund put back on my gc or cc! I was like, "ugh....I bought it with a gc so doesn't it have to go back on there?" "Nope!" he replied and then refunded the entire purchase to my cc!

I checked several weeks later and my points were never reversed from the shopping portal and my money was successfully refunded to my cc and I wasn't stuck with a nordstrom gc is would never use!

Anyway, I haven't ever tried this again because I personally feel like there are too many risks and that it is also tickling the line of being unethical, in my opinion, but I figured I would share anyway.
This is well known, but as you said, not worth repeating.
Here's an extreme example of taking advantage of nordys and portals.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2012/08/13/nordstrom-online-crime-wave-ends-with-2-year-jail-terms-for-brothers/