Emirates A380 to Milan

jmt1030

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone,

My wife and I would love to fly on Emirates A380 in F next year to Italy. We don’t have a date in mind, so we are very flexible. We would like to go in the fall though (maybe around August/September)

I know planning something this far in advance is tough because of the possible devaluations, but I’d like to start applying for the right cards to get this done.

Here are my thoughts:

MIA – JFK using Avios points as it would only cost me 30k points (I have more than enough UR point for this already)

JFK – MXP – 100k using Alaska miles

MXP-MIA – anywhere between 60k-150k miles using American miles. We have about 60k miles each at this time, so another Citi card should put us over the mark.

So my question to you guys is, what’s the easiest way to get those 100k miles each on Alaska? As I’ve read I’m assuming churning the BOA Alaska card is the best way, but wondering if anyone else has any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

tmount

Administrator
As I recall, the JFK-MXP route was upgraded from a 77W to an A380 back in June, despite many trying to get the fifth freedom right for the route blocked. It brought EK's A380's up to 4x daily from JFK to DXB (direct and with the stop to MXP).

All said, if you're looking to go to MXP, I'd offer 3 suggestions:

1 - Churn AS or MS on SPG (because you get 1.25 AS when transferring 20k miles)
2 - Consider flying something more fun - perhaps bake in an extra day and fly US(will get to this in point 3) to Dubai, then Dubai to Milan. its the same mileage cost, and could get you a layover in Dubai, and 2 showers (because 2 is always more fun than 1), as well as a cool experience at the Dubai First Class Terminal/Lounge, have a Wegyu Beef Burger!
3 - Looking for availability, look ex-DFW, its a bit longer flight, which can only be more fun. Alternatives that I've found a bit better availability on other than JFK (which does have 3x direct to DXB, plus the 1x JFK-MXP-DXB), Also could look at IAH. Rumor has it that Emirates will continue to upgauge A380's as they can -- I've had multiple flight attendants, pursers and others tell me that the Emirates strategy is to upgauge every US destination to an A380, so theoretically, if far enough in the future, even Orlando or Dulles could be an option. On my DFW-DXB flight last month, my wife and I were the only 2 in First, and a third of business was empty, like an entire mini-cabin was completely empty.

jmt1030

Level 2 Member
Another option for a fun airplane ride would be Singapore's A380, but that would include another leg, MIA-JFK-FRA-MXP, which would be less miles, but I have to get on the waitlist, which I'm not sure how that would work.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Another option for a fun airplane ride would be Singapore's A380, but that would include another leg, MIA-JFK-FRA-MXP, which would be less miles, but I have to get on the waitlist, which I'm not sure how that would work.
Waitlist is a real crap roll. I tried for FRA-JFK, but got approved the day before my flight. After I already had Booked Qatar Paris-Doha-JFK in F and J.

jmt1030

Level 2 Member
That's what I figured. My wife is a PITA while flying, so adding another leg really isn't a good option.