Early award bookings

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
I'm planning way ahead and, ever sensitive to the threat of program devaluations, am wondering if there is any downside to booking award nights with points 8-10 months in advance? I'd be primarily using SPG and HHonors and am under the impression that both brands will just redeposit the points in my account if I need to cancel or change the award booking (with adequate notice). Any pitfalls to this plan?

Also, I'm looking at using a Hilton 5th night free on a stay during that trip. In reality, I only strictly need 4 nights, but my flight is scheduled to arrive in Bangkok around 7am and I thought it would be nice to be able to check into the hotel without hassle. I'd probably not pay money or points for this privilege but, it would be free anyhow. How do I avoid having my reservation cancelled if I'm not arriving until 7am? Is notifying them adequate or is there something else I should do?

sriki

Level 2 Member
For your first question, I agree with your thinking. You should be fine. Hotels are generally good at giving back everything.

For the hotel check in, you might have to tell them about your plan of checking in 7AM the next day. They should be ok. But, make sure they understand that you are checking in at 7 AM for the night before and not requesting an early check in.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Good for you, bad for us... If everyone books like this there will be no space. But charity does begin at home.

I should add - if the trip is fairly certain then yes I think you should book it ASAP. But there's a point where it might become speculative bookings, which can eat up inventory.

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
Oh, these aren't speculative at all, I already have the plane tickets. The only thing that might change are small fluctuations in dates at individual stops!

Sherri Ko

You should get the hotels direct number or e mail. Have them note in your reservation that you will have a late check in. Getting a hotel night from the night before to be able to check in at arrival is not uncommon.