Dubai: Things to Do/Eat

I've never written a trip report so this will be my first.
My wife and I visited Dubai just this past January. We were there approximately 7 days. We stayed with a friend of mine who lives in Dubai Marina (where many expats live).
ARRIVAL
First off we arrived in Dubai Airport Terminal 3 (DXB) via Emirates Airlines. The airport is in immaculate condition with some of the cleanest bathrooms I've have ever seen. After that a short cab ride into Dubai Marina cost us about $25 USD. The meter was running but I have heard of stories where the price gets jacked up.
DUBAI MARINA
Dubai Marina is a beautiful area of Dubai that contains towering high rise apartment buildings with a made made canal snaking through the heart of it. The canal is flanked on each side by walking paths that contain countless restaurants of all types, cafes, hookah bars, and shops. Ferry services to Old Dubai are also located here. From here Jumeirah Beach is a short distance walking away. The Dubai Metro station (Red Line) is also within walking distance of most of the Marina. A walk around the entire boardwalk is approximately 5 miles.
TRANSPORTATION
A cab from the airport (DXB) to Dubai marina or any of the surrounding area will run you approximately $25 USD. Once in the Marina area you can use the Dubai Metro system to get to farther areas of the city such as the Mall of the Emirates, Old Dubai, or the Dubai Mall. The Dubai metro system runs on a zone based fare. So going from one zone to another is more than staying in the same zone. Similar to United Airlines Award Chart. Purchasing a $15 Noi card per person will suffice for the few times you are likely to use it. The Mall of the Emirates and the Dubai Mall both have train stops within them.
JUMEIRAH BEACH
Jumeirah Beach is a friendly open public that many of the expats and locals alike use. It is a short walk away from the Dubai Marina. The beach has a large open walkway that has a number of restaurants and shops. In addition at night the local police park their "tourist" cars there. You can spot a Dubai Police Lamborghini, Ferrari, F1 McClaren, or a BMW. The area is somewhat of a who's who for the local Emiraties. In a matter of 5 minutes of walking I spotted 6 Ferraris, 3 Lamborghinis, 2 F1 McClarens, countless Land Rovers, and numerous classic American made muscle cars.
MUST SEE SIGHTS AND THINGS TO DO
The Dubai Mall and the Mall of the Emirates are both located on the Red Line of the Dubai Metro. The Dubai Mall contains the Dubai Fountains which go off every 30 minutes. It also houses the entrance to the Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world). When we visited we opted for the "At the Top Premium" experience. The regular observatory only takes you to the 124th Floor. The premium gives you access to the 125th floor AND the 148th Floor. We all felt it was worth the extra money for the views and the smaller crowds. I would suggest booking your tickets in advance because they do sell out. Especially at peak times. The fountains are at the base of the Burj Khalifa and are very cool to see. The fountains dance water that is choreographed to Arabic music.
The Mall of the Emirates houses Ski Dubai. Ski Dubai is obviously the only indoor ski resort and rates at least a visit if possible. We purchased a 2 hour lift ticket with ski rentals, jacket and pants rentals for approximately $60 USD per person. They DO NOT rent nor give you gloves and a hat. I would strongly suggest bringing your own. The ski shop sells gloves and hats for a hefty price.
Other than the attractions I just mentioned both the malls house your basic clothing stores. In my opinion there isn't anything you can buy there that you couldn't buy at home.
I would strongly suggest a trip out to the dunes to go dune bashing. There are a number of companies that offer excursions. Some of the excursions offer an Arabian dinner and belly dancing show in the desert. We opted for the dune bashing and dinner with a show. The dinner and show is pretty touristy but definitely something worth seeing. The dune bashing was in small dune buggies. The guide led us out and we played follower the leader for about an hour. I highly recommend it. It will probably take about 1 - 1.5 hours in the car from Dubai to reach the areas where the dune bashing takes place.
We also visited Old Dubai which contains the Gold and Textile Souks. To get there we took a ferry service that left from Dubai Marina and passed by the Palm Jumeirah and The World Islands to reach the marina at Old Dubai. Once there we walked around the Textile Souk and purchased a few items. Haggling is a must if you wish to buy something. From there we boarded one of the small wooden boats and crossed the Dubai River to go see the Gold Souk. The Gold Souk is a sight that must be seen with your own eyes to believe.
FOOD
There is no shortage of restaurants that cater to every social class and palate. From the restaurants at the 7 Star Burj Al Arab to Applebees at the Mall of the Emirates you can find any kind of food you wish. I will recommend two though.
Ravi Restaurant
Location - Al Dhiyafa Rd. Nr Rydges Plaza
Ravi's is a Pakistani restaurant that caters to the scores of Indian and Pakistani guest workers. We had a full course meal including meats, rice, and nom bread. Total came out to about $25 USD for 4 adults.
Bu Qtair
Location - Street 4D, Umm Sequim
This is an Indian seafood restaurant that operates out of a trailer. Yes a trailer. The food is AMAZING though. Just order whatever everyone else is ordering. There is no menu, no bathroom, and you sit on plastic chairs in the empty lot in front of the trailer. The food is completely worth it though. Price for 4 adults came out to approximately $70 USD.
FINAL THOUGHTS
Dubai is a safe, fascinating, and wonderful place to visit. The country follows a loose interpretation of Muslim Law. Only visitors staying in hotels or restaurants can consume alcohol (legally). Many of the local women still wear hijab or burkas. My wife and I never felt unsafe in our time in Dubai there were times when men would stare and made her feel slightly uncomfortable. Particularly in Old Dubai in the souks. Finally I will say that there is an unspoken class system in Dubai. With Indians and Pakistanis on the bottom, followed by Filipinos, then Westerners, and then topped off with Emiraties.
If anyone would like to add anything feel free.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
Great report! My daughters and I visited Dubai and Abu Dhabi in January too. I agree with what you said about Dubai. My girls were afraid it might be too much for me to do dune bashing even though they really wanted to do it. So we ended up doing camel ride instead. I did camel ride by the pyramids when in Egypt. So I think dune bashing would have been much more fun. We stayed at Park Hyatt at both cities.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Only visitors staying in hotels or restaurants can consume alcohol (legally).
Great report! My only complaint would be that I stayed in a hotel (Rose Rayhaan, the tallest in the world a week prior) that wouldn't sell alcohol! It's only the western chains that are allowed. Or rather, perhaps all are allowed, but the islamic owned hotels don't do it on policy.

Grab some booze from Duty Free on the way out of the airport :)

Great report! My only complaint would be that I stayed in a hotel (Rose Rayhaan, the tallest in the world a week prior) that wouldn't sell alcohol! It's only the western chains that are allowed. Or rather, perhaps all are allowed, but the islamic owned hotels don't do it on policy.

Grab some booze from Duty Free on the way out of the airport :)
Lucky for me my friend has a resident card and was able to purchase beer and wine at the store. It is kind of weird though going to a restaurant and not drinking a beer or wine. But regardless I loved Dubai and I can't wait to go back.

pizza0496

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the report. I picked up that great $178 deal back over Christmas for a trip in October, so I'll try and incorporate some of your suggestions into my trip.