Driving from IAD to BWI. Any risks on Christmas day?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I need to pickup my parents from IAD, who will arrive Dec 25th evening. I fly to BWI, then rent a car to drive to IAD and back to BWI and we all take a flight back home on SW airlines in the night. From my parents scheduled arrival at IAD and scheduled departure in BWI, we got 4.5 hours.

From the map, I see it takes 2 hours in traffic from IAD to BWI. If no traffic, we make the drive in 1 hour.

Now, given it's Dec 25th and it may snow that day, what should be my backup if things fail? Anything I should be aware of with this plan?

TIA.

LoveTravellingFree

Level 2 Member
I need to pickup my parents from IAD, who will arrive Dec 25th evening. I fly to BWI, then rent a car to drive to IAD and back to BWI and we all take a flight back home on SW airlines in the night. From my parents scheduled arrival at IAD and scheduled departure in BWI, we got 4.5 hours.

From the map, I see it takes 2 hours in traffic from IAD to BWI. If no traffic, we make the drive in 1 hour.

Now, given it's Dec 25th and it may snow that day, what should be my backup if things fail? Anything I should be aware of with this plan?

TIA.
You should be fine. I'm guessing it will take about an 1:45. No more than 2.5 hours unless something truly crazy is happening and then as long as you are running GPS that will recalculate based upon closures you should be in good shape.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
You should be fine. I'm guessing it will take about an 1:45. No more than 2.5 hours unless something truly crazy is happening and then as long as you are running GPS that will recalculate based upon closures you should be in good shape.
Thanks. I am guessing the same. Worst case, we may have to stay back in one of the Hyatt cat 1 nearby and fly next day.