Dont mess with or change flights booked with AA GC

birdman0494

Level 2 Member
Not sure if its the right section or not but about 2 months ago I booked a one way mco-sfo for 187 with aa gc from my amex statement credits. I saw the price later dropped to 155, And I tried to take advantage of the Best Rate Guarantee. The representative said that the gift cards would be refunded immediately and I wrongly believed her.

To make a long story short, Gift cards used for flights cannot have funds put back on them. So AA has to issue you new giftcards and the average wait is 60-90 days. So hopefully anyone whos using AA gc from statement credits knows the policies on how refunds work and how much of a nightmare it is.

if anyone messes up and needs help feel free to message me, I know the ropes now.

Pat

Silver Member
Is the refund going back to a new gift card or new voucher? I remember that it may be a new voucher that will be expired in 1 year. Please share your experience when you get your money back.

birdman0494

Level 2 Member
Is the refund going back to a new gift card or new voucher? I remember that it may be a new voucher that will be expired in 1 year. Please share your experience when you get your money back.
I think it will be a new gift card, will notify when I recieve it

birdman0494

Level 2 Member
You were right, I recieved a voucher that has to be used in one year.

smittytabb

Staff member
You were right, I recieved a voucher that has to be used in one year.
Not surprised. If you haven't used the vouchers before, they can be a pain. You have to call in to use them and then they put your itinerary in and you have to mail them in. The last time I used one it took a long time for it to be applied. Indeed, the itinerary had "status unknown" on it for a few days. I called AA multiple times. Once they told me the voucher had never gotten there and was lost. I kept calling. I was told that they had no record of it. Finally I was told that if they found it, it would be applied in the order of flights. At this point my flight was two days off. Finally it was applied and they sent me yet another voucher for the remainder. So I have another to use. Make sure to take a photo of the voucher before you send it in the mail. They seem pretty disorganized and over worked in that department these days.

birdman0494

Level 2 Member
Not surprised. If you haven't used the vouchers before, they can be a pain. You have to call in to use them and then they put your itinerary in and you have to mail them in. The last time I used one it took a long time for it to be applied. Indeed, the itinerary had "status unknown" on it for a few days. I called AA multiple times. Once they told me the voucher had never gotten there and was lost. I kept calling. I was told that they had no record of it. Finally I was told that if they found it, it would be applied in the order of flights. At this point my flight was two days off. Finally it was applied and they sent me yet another voucher for the remainder. So I have another to use. Make sure to take a photo of the voucher before you send it in the mail. They seem pretty disorganized and over worked in that department these days.
Not looking forward to this, but if I have to take more then an hour with csrs I ask for compensation for them wasting my time and the inconvenience.

I did have some vouchers for a seperate mess up of theirs that I redeemed at the airport that wasn't too bad

smittytabb

Staff member
Not looking forward to this, but if I have to take more then an hour with csrs I ask for compensation for them wasting my time and the inconvenience.

I did have some vouchers for a seperate mess up of theirs that I redeemed at the airport that wasn't too bad
Compensation? Good luck with that. I am an Executive Platinum and I have put in complaints recently about service on the ground and they send a long email with a lot of flowery language apologizing but give you nada.

birdman0494

Level 2 Member
Compensation? Good luck with that. I am an Executive Platinum and I have put in complaints recently about service on the ground and they send a long email with a lot of flowery language apologizing but give you nada.
I'm currently on a MR to get exec plat don't scare me lol.

But on another note, when talking to the csrs about problems that you've had to call multiple times try and get jt notated how many people you've spoken to, and in your case leverage your status a bit and you should get those 100$ vouchers if you push hard enough. And at times customer relations has help but I've had to write multiple emails.

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm currently on a MR to get exec plat don't scare me lol.

But on another note, when talking to the csrs about problems that you've had to call multiple times try and get jt notated how many people you've spoken to, and in your case leverage your status a bit and you should get those 100$ vouchers if you push hard enough. And at times customer relations has help but I've had to write multiple emails.
Not one to be pushy. I have earned EXP the hard way with 100K BIS miles for several years running. Often I don't complain, like when I had two flights in J with no working IFE. So when I do write, I want to be both heard and compensated. The email back to me talks about punitive actions. I didn't name names and I don't want to get anyone in trouble, I just want them to be nice to me when the issue is not my fault and give me some miles!