Don’t buy Jetblue points (asthejoeflies #2)

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Are you a family preparing to travel with three kids? There's a lot to worry about, from cost to logics. Here are some ideas to deal with the added stress!

Note: When appropriate, I’ll be posting some of my newsletters on the blog. I still have it, so might as well use it. Normally they will be shorter versions, like today. If you’d like to sign up for the full newsletter you can do so here.

Don’t buy Jetblue points

If you’re reading this you probably already know, but just in case: buying JetBlue points is a terrible value. I love the airline and just spoke on a bonus episode of Observation Deck about how I maximize Mosaic status but I’d also prefer the airline not insult us.

I just received an offer in my inbox to buy 30,000 Trueblue points for about $513 after taxes and such. That’s a cost of about 1.7 cents per point. For reference, I consider 1.5 cents per point a good redemption on JetBlue. And if you want to fly Mint you’ll only get 1 cpp, so uh…bad deal. In fact buying JetBlue points is almost always universally a bad deal.
Don’t buy any points?

Honestly, I’m hard pressed to think of many good scenarios to buy points at all. Notable exceptions are topping off an account to make a redemption happen or perhaps buying Alaska miles to fly Cathay or Japan Airlines up front. Other than that? Buying points mostly feels like a scam to me. Be especially careful when bloggers are posting about points “sales” as some will receive a commission if you go through the links on their sites.

I’m guessing there are some who MS at extremely low costs and for them it might make sense to buy miles; that’s just not me in my current situation.

Continue reading...