Dominican Republic in November

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
Hey All!

My wife and I booked that mistake rate at the all-inclusive in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. We're staying November 17th to the 21st. I've been struggling to find good redemptions on our dates so I was considering just purchasing tickets on cash for about $350.

Our home airport is BWI and flying to POP would be ideal, but STI would work as well. We've got about 100k UR points and about 100k points in both United and American. I couldn't find any real good redemptions for our dates so I thought it *might be a good idea to try and use our United miles to book one of those "hopper" itineraries.

No matter what - I'd like to try and make use of our United Miles, where we can take advantage of the stopovers/open jaws before they go away. I've got three options:
  1. Book something around our November DR trip.
  2. We want to go to Hawaii in January, so we could do something with them then.
  3. Something Epic next year
I'm leaning toward #3 with United Miles so I'm open to your thoughts on this. All that being said, what's our best option for getting to DR. We only spent a $100 dollars on the hotel and frankly, I'd rather lose that then force a trip that will waste a lot of dollars and points.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If you are planning something epic, why burn through the points? Yes, there will be devaluation. But starting from close to zero for a newly more costly redemption is a lot tougher than starting from 100K.