Does ibotta work on Gift card purchases

swifter

Level 2 Member
I was wondering if recent ibotta offers such as online walmart and macys work by buying their giftcards?

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
I bought VGCs at BB during the recent Amex Sync promo and it works so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for other retailers.

smittytabb

Staff member
I was wondering if recent ibotta offers such as online walmart and macys work by buying their giftcards?
Big difference though being that Ibotta you photograph the receipt. Amex sync it often may say "no gift cards" and there isn't really any way to monitor that. If Ibotta says in T & C "no gift cards" it is obvious from the receipt itself what you bought. I have not looked at the Macy's and Walmart.com promotions closely enough to see if there are any exceptions, but keep in mind the nature of how these programs differ.

smittytabb

Staff member
Big difference though being that Ibotta you photograph the receipt. Amex sync it often may say "no gift cards" and there isn't really any way to monitor that. If Ibotta says in T & C "no gift cards" it is obvious from the receipt itself what you bought. I have not looked at the Macy's and Walmart.com promotions closely enough to see if there are any exceptions, but keep in mind the nature of how these programs differ.
OK just looked at the Ibotta Macy's and Walmart.com Rebate Details. Both say not valid on gift card purchases. Again, you take a photo of the receipt, so I cannot imagine that it would go through. But, I haven't tested it. Since I have not yet done an online redemption of this kind yet, please prove me wrong. Anyone done one? How are they different from the regular ones?

Last edited:

madage

Level 2 Member
I don't think you need to snap a picture of the receipt for online purchases linked through ibotta. I did try to get the $10 walmart.com rebate on a $200 Visa GC. The purchase is not tracking 6 days later...

smittytabb

Staff member
I don't think you need to snap a picture of the receipt for online purchases linked through ibotta. I did try to get the $10 walmart.com rebate on a $200 Visa GC. The purchase is not tracking 6 days later...
Thanks. I had not done a rebate for an online offer so I wondered how they processed them compared to the receipt way for in store.

Marcus

Level 2 Member
I uploaded receipts at BB multiple times and it got credited every time within the hour. That's the easiest way to get credited quickly.