Do we overrate travel credits on high annual fee credit cards?

asthejoeflies

Staff member

I thought long and hard about getting the new US Bank Altitude Reserve card. The card definitely looks like a potential big winner. People (not me) who can maximize the 3X mobile payments bonus might really have something on their hands. Ultimately, I decided to pass on the card for now. One of the main reasons for this is my belief that I’ve begun to overrate credit cards travel credits. I’ll present my reasons why and I’m also curious to hear what others think in the comments below.

This post serves as a bit of a corollary to my post on all the credit card annual fees I theoretically need to pay. Readers, you’ll be happy to know I’ve canceled/downgraded 3 cards since then with 2 more planned for this month.

You still pay a huge annual fee

I’ve long believed that getting, for example, a $300 travel credit on the Chase Sapphire Reserve means I’m essentially paying a $150 annual fee. This kind of language often gets used when people try to sell you credit cards. As my thinking about the game evolves, I’m not sure I quite believe that anymore.

Bottom line, you still pay $450 a year. Yes, you potentially get $300 of that back, but you still need to drop the cash up front. But if your finances are tight, you still need to front a significant amount of money. While that may not be my particular circumstance, the high annual fee that I actually need to pay in cash flows into all the reasons I am starting to find travel credits overrated. For my particular circumstance, of course.

When you have multiple travel credits, they become harder to redeem

While we just took a big trip to Hong Kong, for one reason or another we plan to travel less than usual for the remainder of 2017. (Related: two 15 hour flights with two little kids). We booked our Hong Kong flights on points and stayed in a relative’s apartment. That means the only travel credits useful to us on this trip came from Chase Sapphire Reserve. Admittedly, we have two of these, so that’s $600 in reimbursements, but we didn’t use all that up for our taxis and trains. (Hmm, should have tried to buy my Hong Kong Disney tix to test…woops).

Meanwhile, my three $200 AMEX Platinum airline credits and one $250 Citi Prestige airline credit lay dormant and useless. Now, if you state that you have $1450 in travel credits, that sounds great! But in reality, especially for a family that is cutting back on travel for a bit, that’s not particularly useful.

But you can buy airline gift cards with your travel credit! (But then you need to keep track of them)

So admittedly, my $600 in AMEX airline credits actually are no longer available to me. That’s because like any good travel hacker I redeemed them for airline gift cards way back in January. Now, again, I used to use this to justify the annual fee – I’m only paying annual fee minus travel credits total!

Well, you only get value from the travel credits if you actually use them. And between canceled Jetblue flights, United compensation, Delta compensation, and AA and DL travel credits from AMEX, I’m sitting on like $800-$1000 of travel credits. Credits that I likely will only use on domestic flights, which I’m taking very few of this year.

So, suddenly I need to keep track of all these credits that will not be used for awhile. It’s easy to make a mistake and just lose that “money”, which actually was never really money to begin with. So one thing I’d recommend is for you to ask yourself whether travel credits fit in with your travel goals. If not, you might find yourself losing flexibility or buying flights just to buy them and less because they fit in with your goals.

Travel credits and points can become mutually exclusive

If you’re traveling 10+ times a year this probably won’t be an issue for you. But I keep running into this problem where I can either use travel credits to pay for travel or use points. So I naturally opt for using my travel credits first, but then why did I earn all these points?

Basically, this comes back down to “resources you aren’t using are wasted.” You can hoard travel credits just like you hoard points and there are only so many rainy days. So make sure travel credits aren’t getting in the way of redemptions that you want to make. Which brings me to my most important point.

When you use travel credits, you are paying cash for travel

I think Free-quent Flyer said this somewhere awhile back, but it never clicked with me. Travel credits = paying cash for your travel. You paid cash for your annual fee, and some of that cash went to pay for your travel. If I use $200 in AA gift cards that I got from AMEX Platinum, I paid $200 for those flights!

But what’s even worse is this. When I said above that I need to decide between using travel credits or points, what I’m actually deciding between is using money I already spent or points. Which is why using the travel credits is a no brainer.

But if your whole goal is to save the amount of cash you pay on travel, travel credits run counter to that. They force you to pay cash for your travel! And remember, you can’t invest points in your kids’ college education or your retirement, only cash. So if you pay cash for your travel in the form of travel credits, that’s less money into those accounts. Makes me think.

Final Thoughts

So yes, in the end, I think travel credits are a bit overrated. Don’t get me wrong, they are great, but from this point forward I’m not going to let them be a selling point in getting a credit card. A credit card must bring good value to me regardless of the travel credit, because the travel credit forces me to pay cash for my travel. Obviously this year is a bit of extreme for our family due to lighter travel loads (I hope to ramp up again in 2018), but I think I’ve learned a valuable lesson from it.

What do you think, are travel credits overrated or an important part of deciding whether to get a card? Let me know!

Featured image courtesy of Pixabay

Continue reading...

seespotjump

Level 2 Member
Overrated is one way of putting it, but I think some people get too caught up accumulating as much credit, points, etc. like you said.

In the end, everyone's situation is different and people need to really evaluate their own situation before comparing how many points, etc. they have to other people.

projectx

Level 2 Member
In the case of the CSR, I don't see it as a travel credit. I see it more as a way to offset the annual fee. For us, a lot of our trips are paid with cash; I find that as a family of five has little use for hotel points. So I have no problem using that $300. For the remaining $150, that's about what trip insurance would have cost for our last trip, so for me it all cancels out.

In my situation, the CSR essentially gets us at minimum 4.5% back in the travel and dining categories and Priority Pass lounges for a $0 annual fee.

CreditDratini

Level 2 Member
I don't think they're overrated so much as, like you pointed out, a little inconvenient and easy for people to misunderstand. There are things one needs to track and people also need to be honest to themselves about whether they'd be spending the amount of the credit on regular purchases even if they didn't have the card. If one needs to spend extra money on travel just to get the travel credit, that defeats the purpose of it being a "credit"

esdot

If CSR had no travel credit and a $150 annual fee, but it imposed an annual $300 minimum spend requirement on travel to unlock 3x earnings each year, I would have no problem with the card. If this bizarro world CSR allowed me to front the $300 at the outset of each year, unlock 3x categories immediately, and reimburse myself the fronted $300 over the course of the year, I'd do that. Wait, that is what I do. A travel credit is a minimum spend requirement in different terms. Unlike a traditional minimum spend requirement incentivized with a carrot, it is one penalized with a stick. When you think of travel credits as penalties for missing minimum spend requirements, it's not so bad to pay some dollars in lieu of points.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I think it comes down to what you use the $$ for.

For example, I always use the travel credits at something that gets me basically the full cash value in my book, so I consider that an offset against the annual fee. Here's some typical usages for me:
CSR for Rental Cars (I'd be paying by credit no matter what here)
Amex PRG for Amazon MPX (I'd be spending that $$ at Amazon no matter what - Opportunity Cost is fairly negligible here too - 5X UR)

On the other hand, if you use the credits on things you'd never spend cash for OR would typically use points for at a much better value, then I'd agree you're not getting the full value of the offset.

dockers

Level 2 Member
Here's some typical usages for me:
CSR for Rental Cars (I'd be paying by credit no matter what here)
Amex PRG for Amazon MPX (I'd be spending that $$ at Amazon no matter what - Opportunity Cost is fairly negligible here too - 5X UR)
A bit OT, but I thought the MPX loophole was closed? I've been buying airline GCs with the AMEX travel credit and flipping them on Raise. It's a bit of a hassle, but you can effectively cash out the travel credit at about 85%.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
A bit OT, but I thought the MPX loophole was closed? I've been buying airline GCs with the AMEX travel credit and flipping them on Raise. It's a bit of a hassle, but you can effectively cash out the travel credit at about 85%.
Yes, you are correct. I got in last years before it was closed. Now I typically redeem for Airline GC that I use toward work travel... If I didn't have that option - I'd be doing what you are...

Zef

Very interesting post!!

I have always wondered how valuable those credits are, which I have been unknowingly accumulating. Adding them all up are probably close to $1k. TBH, I don't think I will keep most of the high annual fees CC past the first year. So essentially, the first year's annual fee paid for the signup bonus.

As for the Altitude, I applied the first day it came out. I intend on keeping it long term, since I am able to use Samsung Pay for buying VGCs. But also only counting $75 as an annual fee (400 - 325 travel credit) to justify it... Lol!

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Not all credits are equal. Prestige's $250 worked on any flight-related charge, so I get the full face value with it. I think CSR coverage is even more generous so also full face value. Amex on the other hand I either do PGGM or buy airline GC, neither officially supported and I use GC more liberally than cash, so I value it at ~75% of face value.

I always cancel these cards after 1st year (and rotate to another card), so it's like paying a median of $100 for the SUB and benefits for a year.

slicky

I thought long and hard about getting the new US Bank Altitude Reserve card. The card definitely looks like a potential big winner. People (not me) who can maximize the 3X mobile payments bonus might really have something on their hands. Ultimately, I decided to pass on the card for now. One of the main reasons for this is my belief that I’ve begun to overrate credit cards travel credits. I’ll present my reasons why and I’m also curious to hear what others think in the comments below.

This post serves as a bit of a corollary to my post on all the credit card annual fees I theoretically need to pay. Readers, you’ll be happy to know I’ve canceled/downgraded 3 cards since then with 2 more planned for this month.

You still pay a huge annual fee

I’ve long believed that getting, for example, a $300 travel credit on the Chase Sapphire Reserve means I’m essentially paying a $150 annual fee. This kind of language often gets used when people try to sell you credit cards. As my thinking about the game evolves, I’m not sure I quite believe that anymore.

Bottom line, you still pay $450 a year. Yes, you potentially get $300 of that back, but you still need to drop the cash up front. But if your finances are tight, you still need to front a significant amount of money. While that may not be my particular circumstance, the high annual fee that I actually need to pay in cash flows into all the reasons I am starting to find travel credits overrated. For my particular circumstance, of course.

When you have multiple travel credits, they become harder to redeem

While we just took a big trip to Hong Kong, for one reason or another we plan to travel less than usual for the remainder of 2017. (Related: two 15 hour flights with two little kids). We booked our Hong Kong flights on points and stayed in a relative’s apartment. That means the only travel credits useful to us on this trip came from Chase Sapphire Reserve. Admittedly, we have two of these, so that’s $600 in reimbursements, but we didn’t use all that up for our taxis and trains. (Hmm, should have tried to buy my Hong Kong Disney tix to test…woops).

Meanwhile, my three $200 AMEX Platinum airline credits and one $250 Citi Prestige airline credit lay dormant and useless. Now, if you state that you have $1450 in travel credits, that sounds great! But in reality, especially for a family that is cutting back on travel for a bit, that’s not particularly useful.

But you can buy airline gift cards with your travel credit! (But then you need to keep track of them)

So admittedly, my $600 in AMEX airline credits actually are no longer available to me. That’s because like any good travel hacker I redeemed them for airline gift cards way back in January. Now, again, I used to use this to justify the annual fee – I’m only paying annual fee minus travel credits total!

Well, you only get value from the travel credits if you actually use them. And between canceled Jetblue flights, United compensation, Delta compensation, and AA and DL travel credits from AMEX, I’m sitting on like $800-$1000 of travel credits. Credits that I likely will only use on domestic flights, which I’m taking very few of this year.

So, suddenly I need to keep track of all these credits that will not be used for awhile. It’s easy to make a mistake and just lose that “money”, which actually was never really money to begin with. So one thing I’d recommend is for you to ask yourself whether travel credits fit in with your travel goals. If not, you might find yourself losing flexibility or buying flights just to buy them and less because they fit in with your goals.

Travel credits and points can become mutually exclusive

If you’re traveling 10+ times a year this probably won’t be an issue for you. But I keep running into this problem where I can either use travel credits to pay for travel or use points. So I naturally opt for using my travel credits first, but then why did I earn all these points?

Basically, this comes back down to “resources you aren’t using are wasted.” You can hoard travel credits just like you hoard points and there are only so many rainy days. So make sure travel credits aren’t getting in the way of redemptions that you want to make. Which brings me to my most important point.

When you use travel credits, you are paying cash for travel

I think Free-quent Flyer said this somewhere awhile back, but it never clicked with me. Travel credits = paying cash for your travel. You paid cash for your annual fee, and some of that cash went to pay for your travel. If I use $200 in AA gift cards that I got from AMEX Platinum, I paid $200 for those flights!

But what’s even worse is this. When I said above that I need to decide between using travel credits or points, what I’m actually deciding between is using money I already spent or points. Which is why using the travel credits is a no brainer.

But if your whole goal is to save the amount of cash you pay on travel, travel credits run counter to that. They force you to pay cash for your travel! And remember, you can’t invest points in your kids’ college education or your retirement, only cash. So if you pay cash for your travel in the form of travel credits, that’s less money into those accounts. Makes me think.

Final Thoughts

So yes, in the end, I think travel credits are a bit overrated. Don’t get me wrong, they are great, but from this point forward I’m not going to let them be a selling point in getting a credit card. A credit card must bring good value to me regardless of the travel credit, because the travel credit forces me to pay cash for my travel. Obviously this year is a bit of extreme for our family due to lighter travel loads (I hope to ramp up again in 2018), but I think I’ve learned a valuable lesson from it.

What do you think, are travel credits overrated or an important part of deciding whether to get a card? Let me know!

Featured image courtesy of Pixabay

Continue reading...
Though they might be overrated for the sapphire reserve its pretty easy to hit the travel credit as all these purchases code as travel
Air:
-Airline tickets from any airline
-Air Canada Gift Cards
-Alaska Airlines gift cards
-American Airlines gift cards
-Baggage fees from any airline
-Delta gift cards
Hawaiian Airlines gift cards.
-Online travel agencies (Including Expedia, Orbitz, and Priceline)
-Seat selection or upgrade fees for any airline
-Southwest gift cards
-Retail travel agencies
-Taxes on award tickets for any airline
United gift registry: Register and create a goal in order to contribute travel funds to your United account for future ticket purchases

Dining:
-Uber Eats

Lodging:
Airbnb
-Airbnb gift cards
-Campgrounds
-Cruises
-Groupon Getaways
-Hotel stays
-Marriott gift cards
-Motel stays
-Norwegian Cruise Line gift cards
-Online travel agencies (Including Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, and Priceline)
-Timeshares
-Retail travel agencies

Theme Parks and activities:
Disney Vacation account funding
UndercoverTourist.com (Discounted Disney, Universal, Legoland, and SeaWorld tickets)
Viator gift certifiates.

Transportation:
-Amtrak
-BART
-Bridge tolls
-Buses
-Car rentals
-Car2Go
-Eurostar
-Ferries
-Greyhound
-Jerusalem Light Rail
-Limos
-Long Island Railroad
-Lyft rides
-Megabus
-Metra Rail Chicago)
-Muni/parking meters
-NJ Transit
-NYC MetroCard
-Oyster card
-Parking garages
-Prepaid EZPass tolls loaded with the one-time payment option online or over the phone. If the system auto-loads then it won’t count as travel. Note that this loading method works for the vast majority of people, but a couple people have reported that it didn’t work for them.
-Prepaid I-Pass tolls loaded via one-time payment
-Prepaid FasTrak tolls loaded via one-time payment
-Prepaid SunPass tolls loaded via one-time payment
-Prepaid Washington DOT Good to Go tolls loaded via one-time payment
-Postpaid 407ETR Toronto tolls
-Subway travel
-Taxis
-Tolls
-Trains
-Trenitalia
-Tunnel tolls
-Uber gift cards only if they are bought from the MileagePlusX app for iOS or Android
-Uber rides
-Ventra Chicago
-Zipcar