Do this now if you have the Chase Fairmont Visa

tmount

Administrator

Last week the Blogosphere was rattled with news that Chase Fairmont Visa holders would have their cards converted to Chase Sapphire Preferred cards in August. For some this may not be so rattling, but, Fairmont, like SPG, attracts a rather dedicated bunch. If you don’t believe me, just check out my review of the Fairmont Southampton, which I did in two posts.

But, there is still something you can do to extract some remaining value from the Chase Fairmont Visa!

Getting the last of the Chase Fairmont Visa Benefits

First of all, the Chase Fairmont Visa is a great card. Its got some great benefits, but, at this point, this post only matters to you if you already have the card. You see, in addition to all of the great sign-up benefits that there were, there’s also a little bit of an Easter Egg in that if you spend $12,000 per year, you get a free night. So far as I am able to figure out, this annual free night is based on your card member anniversary–read: when your annual fee hits–rather than calendar year. Why is this important? Because, if your annual fee is in August or, probably the following 6 months, you might be able to get some reprieve from the $12,000 spend.

What to do?

I recommend calling Chase and laying out the fact that the card goes away 15 August 2017. If your annual fee is anytime from August to, well, as far as you feel comfortable arguing, identify that. Ask for some level of reprieve on the amount of spend required in order to earn the free night–which normally requires $12,000 spend. Reports that I’ve seen say February, but you might be able to make a case for more. My father, who’s anniversary falls in August or September, was able to get the required spend down to $6,000.

Wrapping Up

Its a big shame that Chase and Fairmont are parting ways. We’ve really enjoyed the benefits of the Chase Fairmont Visa, its just that good a card, and Fairmont is that good a hotel chain. But there is still some opportunity to get a bit of value from the Fairmont card, that is, putting some spend on it between now and 15 August when it gets converted to a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Spending $6,000 may either be huge, or not a big deal, depending on how you feel about manufactured spending, but, for some properties, this can be an arbitrage opportunity. I say that, because there is always a cost to spend, but many Fairmonts can be, well, pricey. So, do the math, make the phone call, and please share a comment on your experience.

Continue reading...