DisneySea in eight pictures

asthejoeflies

Staff member

When we decided to visit Japan for our ten year anniversary, my wife and I made a compromise. We decided to go to Hokkaido for the majority of our trip but I also got to drag her to Tokyo DisneySea for a day. I plan to write a full review (spoiler alert: loved it). In the meantime I thought I’d share eight pictures to give a feel for the park. Hopefully they give a good sense of why this park is so uniquely wonderful.

The first thing to note about Tokyo DisneySea is that the crowds are real. We only had one day we could go, and according to this DisneySea crowd calendar (which isn’t in English) it was a pretty crowded day. This is what the morning rush looked like:

Tokyo DisneySea crowds

Politely walking with a gigantic crowd during rope drop

Crowds didn’t really die down until the evening. However, the extreme politeness of the Japanese made it feel less crowded. The Japanese seem very polite about queuing, which is a good thing, because there are often long queues at Tokyo DisneySea, like for the amazing Big Band Beat show, one of my favorite experiences at DisneySea.

DisneySea Big Band Beat queue

Big Band Beat is an excellent show, and the queue reflects that

Although the attractions can have long lines, Tokyo DisneySea offers Fastpass. Note it uses a paper Fastpass system, not an electronic system like Disney World in the United States.

DisneySea Fastpass

Speaking of attractions, DisneySea has some of the best I’ve ever been on. One of my favorites was Sindbad’s Storybook Voyage. In a way, it’s like It’s a Small World, but the animatronics felt much more impressive. There’s an attention to detail in all the attractions at Tokyo DisneySea that are really special.

DisneySea Sindbad's Storybook Voyage

Sindbad’s Storybook Voyage boasts wonderful animatronics

Another simple but surprisingly fun attraction is Aquatopia. We enjoyed this so much we rode it twice. Here’s a picture of it during the day with the volcano of Mysterious Island in the backgroom.

DisneySea Aquatopia

Like almost everything in this park, Aquatopia really shines at night. While the beautiful theming of Tokyo DisneySea is striking during the day, at night it takes things get taken to a whole other level. Here you can see the American Waterfront (which really nailed the feel of my hometown of Boston) in all its glory at night, with the SS Columbia on the right and Tower of Terror on the left.

DisneySea American Waterfront

The American Waterfront at night is a sight to behold

Mermaid Lagoon is a world unto itself and since it’s “underwater” it always feels like nighttime down there.

DisneySea Mermaid Lagoon

Under the sea

Of course, we can’t end this without talking about the food. I enjoyed the popcorn but it wasn’t as good as I’d hoped it’d be. Tokyo Disney’s souvenir popcorn buckets, however, did not disappoint. Here’s the relatively new Steamboat Willie bucket.

DisneySea Steamboat Willie bucket

Hopefully these pictures give you a taste of what Tokyo DisneySea has to offer. I’ll be getting to a full review in the future, but I think you can already tell I thought it was well worth the trip!

Never miss a post! Subscribe below and receive an e-mail once a day for new posts from asthejoeflies. Also, follow our family adventures on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Or, if you’re looking for a miles, points, and travel podcast, check out my podcast the Saverocity Observation Deck on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or this Patreon page!

Enjoying asthejoeflies and want to support the work? Check out our support page!

Subscribe to asthejoeflies

First Name

Email Address

Click “subscribe” to receive an e-mail every day that new posts are up on asthejoeflies!

Continue reading...